The Student Room Group

What should I take at AS?

Hi, so I got my GCSE results (they're quite good so I could take most things) and have to decide which ASs to do by this coming tuesday.

Seeing as I'm not sure what I'm going to study at uni, I want to leave my options open and take a combination of AS levels that would allow me a bit of choice if I go off 1 of the subjects or whatever. I've thought about a few careers including teaching, law and interpreting.

I definetely want to take French, Biology and English Literature.

I would quite like to take Government and Politics as the fourth as I think I'd find it interesting but I'm also quite good at science so I don't know if I should take chemistry instead (I don't want to take physics). Ideally I would take both but can't as they run at the same time so I have to decide between the two.

Which 1 would you say goes best with my 1st 3 subjects and would leave the most options open for the future?
Do whatever you want to do!
beach surf babe
Do whatever you want to do!

:ditto: But if you enjoy both equally and are equally good at them, I'd go for chemistry. It goes well with biology and would leave science degrees open to you. Politics wouldn't really go with any of your other subjects and wouldn't open any more doors. You'd then have a 50/50 arts/sciences split.
Reply 3
Chemistry will open more doors, not doing Politics certainly wont close any.
Reply 4
Maths is always a good option, there are a number of degrees which specifically require it.

Politics is okay - I didn't find it particularly interesting at AS Level though, so in terms of university it would probably be better to do Chemistry.

It's probably most important to pick four subjects you will achieve high grades in.
Reply 5
Echoing everyone else, whatever you enjoy and are good at.

If you like each subject equally, I'd go for Chemistry, purely brecause it fits with Biology and gives you a wide range of options in arts and sciences. Would you want to teach a specific subject btw (in which case you'd probs need a degree in that subject), or are we talking about teaching squishies?

If you find Gvmt and Pol (I have the spelling age of a Guppy Fish so ent gonna to type it all out) interesting, then perhaps see if you can do an evening course at college. Or failing that, get involved with citizenship projects, if your school do them, like organising a debate about a recent issue or going and interviewing a politician for your school newspaper.
Reply 6
To everyone who's already posted, thanks for the advice, I'll let you know what I decide :biggrin: . Erm, I'm not really sure about what I'd want to teach- maybe primary age but maybe English/French/Science (if I take Chem.) - I was basically just gonna see if 1 particular subject becomes my favourite in the next yr or so.
Reply 7
chemistry.
Reply 8
I think I'm gonna go for chemistry then. As you say it fits in better and will give me more options in the future. Besides, I guess I could always take up Gov.t and Politics in the future, maybe next year or whatever.

Thanks for all the advice, you've helped me make up my mind, :smile:

Em x

Latest

Trending

Trending