The Student Room Group

Tired question- personal statement

I know it’s a really obvious question but- what is the best way to write a personal statement? What should I defiantly include/leave out? I’m applying mainly to London unis: UCL, KCL, LSE and SOAS, does anyone have any advice specifically for those?

I have voluntary work and all the usual stuff, but is there anyway of presenting it without sounding pretentious?

Also, I’m doing the IB not a-levels, should I talk about this? Should I read any books in particular that I could mention?

God, this sounds really naive, but I don’t know anyone doing law and my college don’t offer university application support. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
Robin.
Reply 1
Now to give really bad advice so there's one less person to compete with :evil: (That was a joke :p: )

I'd suggest looking at the example statements on the TSR Wiki (link at the top of this page) or www.studential.com. While you should not of course copy the exact format and phrasing they can be good at getting you started.
right, if I were you I'd start with a draft. no matter how rubbish it looks you need to start somewhere. for example (very briefly):
para.1- why you want to do law/ what appeals to you/ what books you've read on it/.
para 2.- your subjects at college- what you enjoy/ what skills you learned which are transferable to law etc
para 3- what you do outside college eg debate team/ sports/ charity work etc
para 4- your personal qualities/ what you do that isn't related to college eg getting pissed

just a few ideas, but theres no set way to do it and the above isn't the best example but it may give you a vague idea. if you want you can draft it then put it in the 'ask a ps helper' forum.
guccilittlepiggy
right, if I were you I'd start with a draft. no matter how rubbish it looks you need to start somewhere. for example (very briefly):
para.1- why you want to do law/ what appeals to you/ what books you've read on it/.
para 2.- your subjects at college- what you enjoy/ what skills you learned which are transferable to law etc
para 3- what you do outside college eg debate team/ sports/ charity work etc
para 4- your personal qualities/ what you do that isn't related to college eg getting pissed

just a few ideas, but theres no set way to do it and the above isn't the best example but it may give you a vague idea. if you want you can draft it then put it in the 'ask a ps helper' forum.

arent points 3 and 4 essentially the same thing?
Reply 4
alison_141288
arent points 3 and 4 essentially the same thing?

I don't want to speak for someone else, but maybe 3 refers to extra-curriculars that are related to your study or are 'worthy', while 4 refers to things you do that are genuinely for your own entertainment.

Latest

Trending

Trending