The Student Room Group

How Do I Take An Extra GCSE?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Emanuele_
I'm doing 16 too, but i'm also doing 2 as-levels and i am self teaching 3 of the 16 gcses and the 2 as- levels. The skl pay for my self taught ones

These are the subjects:

Maths (getting results tomorrow)
Additional maths
Astronomy (self-taught, results tomorrow)
RS
Philosophy and ethics (self taught)
French
Spanish
German (self-taught)
Italian
Music
History
Triple science
English lang
English Lit

AS:

Spanish
Maths

OP, by all means self-teach yourself an extra GCSE, and if you have a valid reason, you may be able to convince your school to pay for the exam and any coursework that may come with the exam

I'm getting my Maths results tomorrow too :smile: that's really cool! And really good of the school.

I was just curious how this whole 12 GCSEs max thing came about. All 16 of mine are school funded, school taught and all the rest of it. I might get the chance to do an AS Level next year through the school too, I'll have to wait and see.
Original post by Its_Tito
Haha seriously? That's weird :redface:

i go to WHSG haha xD
Original post by Magnesium
i go to WHSG haha xD

Haha same! :tongue:
I'm getting my Maths results tomorrow too :smile: that's really cool! And really good of the school.

I was just curious how this whole 12 GCSEs max thing came about. All 16 of mine are school funded, school taught and all the rest of it. I might get the chance to do an AS Level next year through the school too, I'll have to wait and see.

Maybe some of the subjects you're taking are exceptions? I have no idea.
Maybe some of the subjects you're taking are exceptions? I have no idea.

I just don't think it's a maximum of 12, that's all. Maybe just at their school the maximum is 12? Ah well :smile:
Haha same! :tongue:

No way, do I know you :K: Your name reminds me of Tio xD
No way, do I know you :K: Your name reminds me of Tio xD

Probably, what year are you? :')
I just don't think it's a maximum of 12, that's all. Maybe just at their school the maximum is 12? Ah well :smile:

Problem is. friends of mine at other schools all across my borough are limitte to 12 GCSEs too. Might be part of the Gove effect...

Going into Year 12, am leaving WHSG xD
Problem is. friends of mine at other schools all across my borough are limitte to 12 GCSEs too. Might be part of the Gove effect...

Maybe, but people at my school have had the same choices for years and years now...?

You probably know me, my name's Maggie :K:
Going into Year 12, am leaving WHSG xD

Ah noo :') where you going instead?
Ah noo :') where you going instead?

I'm going to St Olave's. You planning on staying?:smile:
I'm going to St Olave's. You planning on staying?:smile:

Yeah, when it comes to it :') I only live like 20 minutes away so why not? Haha
Maybe, but people at my school have had the same choices for years and years now...?

It's odd because the maximum in my school was decreased in the academic year 2012 - 2013. It's just weird to say the least.
It's odd because the maximum in my school was decreased in the academic year 2012 - 2013. It's just weird to say the least.

Yeah it is a bit. Maybe each school is just different.

I get the impression from the OP that their school used to let them take up to a maximum of 12 GCSEs. It could also be a timetabling thing - at my school we did 5 hours a fortnight per subject, in a 50 hour fortnight, you can only fit in 10 subjects.

Basically, I think OP is referring to an informal maximum, instead of a hard rule.
Original post by loperdoper
I get the impression from the OP that their school used to let them take up to a maximum of 12 GCSEs. It could also be a timetabling thing - at my school we did 5 hours a fortnight per subject, in a 50 hour fortnight, you can only fit in 10 subjects.

Basically, I think OP is referring to an informal maximum, instead of a hard rule.

In my school it varies per subject...some subjects get more hours than others, if necessary.

But that makes sense.
In my school it varies per subject...some subjects get more hours than others, if necessary.

But that makes sense.

Ah, I see. For GCSEs, my school stuck to 5 hours a fortnight. However, now I'm doing A-level, they vary from 6 hours a fortnight to 9 hours. It's a good system, but timetabling is harder when the timetable is already packed (at A-level I have a bunch of frees, which makes adding hours easier)
Original post by loperdoper
Ah, I see. For GCSEs, my school stuck to 5 hours a fortnight. However, now I'm doing A-level, they vary from 6 hours a fortnight to 9 hours. It's a good system, but timetabling is harder when the timetable is already packed (at A-level I have a bunch of frees, which makes adding hours easier)

Yeah I guess :smile: every school's different.

Quick Reply

Latest