The Student Room Group

How Do I Take An Extra GCSE?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Magnesium
I would say that 11 is sufficient, however, having said that, I took 15 (one of which was done outside of school).
Teach yourself the syllabus, and make sure you're confident with exam structures and the material so you don't do it recklessly and end up with a grade you don't want, perhaps if there is a teacher in your school who has some knowledge of the subject, it might help?

I went to chinese school to 'learn' chinese but I mostly self taught using textbooks, and then when it came to the start of the year that I was meant to take the exam, I went to my exams office and they gave me a form to fill out to ask me what GCSE i wanted to take etc. After it was all confirmed I was given study leave on the day of and the day before the exam, much like you normally do, and given a timetable for when my exams were :smile:

If your school won't call in an invigilator for you, then you will have to search around for exam centres (it's really easy to google this :smile: ) and then it will let you apply for an exam. :smile:

thanks so much x
Reply 41
Can you send the adress of the place where i can take extra gcse please
Reply 42
Can you send me the adress of the place where i can take extra gcse please
Original post by Its_Tito
Well, 15 and an extra Qualification...I'm going into Year 11 this September, so yeah. My school does a lot, I know, but I was just wondering how the whole idea of 12 maximum came about...it's all up to your school, it may be 12 you're allowed to do through your school.

Maths (Year 10)
Additional Maths (Year 11)
English Language (Year 10)
English Literature (Year 11)
Triple Science (Year 11)
History (Year 11)
Food Tech (Year 11)
Spanish (Year 11)
Functional Skills (Year 9)
Religious Studies (Year 11)
Business Studies (Year 11)
Drama (Year 11)
PSHEE (Year 9 and 10)
PE (Year 10)

What are the years in brackets indicating?
Original post by sweetstars
What are the years in brackets indicating?

the year I took those GCSEs :smile:
the year I took those GCSEs :smile:

Your GCSEs are separate? Not all in one period of time? :// How did you do on Triple science? Planning on taking that, but I'm confused as to what happens when you do take triple.
Your GCSEs are separate? Not all in one period of time? :// How did you do on Triple science? Planning on taking that, but I'm confused as to what happens when you do take triple.

I'm not sure how it is now, but when I did my GCSEs my school had multiple accelerated classes or like in PE we only did short course. So because I was in accelerated Maths, I did the GCSE in year 10 and then did Additional Maths (kind of half way between GCSE and AS) in year 11. Obviously, every school is different tho :smile: mine is just extra lol

Triple Science and Double Science are taken in year 11 at my school also, but for edexcel we had 2 papers per science. Double would only take the first paper, then triple would take all 6 which is basically just extra detail and more complex concepts (this is sorted out between you and your teachers depending on what you could realistically achieve). Now the spec is changing I have no idea what's going on unfortunately :// I would maybe set up a chat with your teachers and see what they say, get them to explain the course to you or direct you to the spec online
I'm not sure how it is now, but when I did my GCSEs my school had multiple accelerated classes or like in PE we only did short course. So because I was in accelerated Maths, I did the GCSE in year 10 and then did Additional Maths (kind of half way between GCSE and AS) in year 11. Obviously, every school is different tho :smile: mine is just extra lol

Triple Science and Double Science are taken in year 11 at my school also, but for edexcel we had 2 papers per science. Double would only take the first paper, then triple would take all 6 which is basically just extra detail and more complex concepts (this is sorted out between you and your teachers depending on what you could realistically achieve). Now the spec is changing I have no idea what's going on unfortunately :// I would maybe set up a chat with your teachers and see what they say, get them to explain the course to you or direct you to the spec online

Thank you. So if you did the GCSE maths in year 10, was that the actual one? :redface:
Thank you. So if you did the GCSE maths in year 10, was that the actual one? :redface:

Yeah it was, it just meant my class learnt the content faster than the rest of the year :smile: but we took the real GCSE exam along with the rest of the year 11s from the year above
Yeah it was, it just meant my class learnt the content faster than the rest of the year :smile: but we took the real GCSE exam along with the rest of the year 11s from the year above

whoa. :/ I don't think I'll be able to do that...
whoa. :/ I don't think I'll be able to do that...

You don't have to of course! Only one class of around 30 out of 150 did it in my year, everyone did it at the normal time :smile:
You don't have to of course! Only one class of around 30 out of 150 did it in my year, everyone did it at the normal time :smile:

Oh, so doing it early doesn't affect anything right? or does the universities see that you did it early equalling to you being smart so you have an easier chance of entering a university? Plus, did you have to or did you have an option?
Oh, so doing it early doesn't affect anything right? or does the universities see that you did it early equalling to you being smart so you have an easier chance of entering a university? Plus, did you have to or did you have an option?

I mean they obviously see it when you apply to unis on UCAS, but it doesn't really make a difference I don't think. Some schools do it just to challenge their students, or give them the opportunity to take more qualifications but it doesn't put me at a massive advantage over others.

Also they placed us in the accelerated classes after we chose our options in year 8, so when I entered year 9 I was put in my "sets" and accelerated classes for GCSE based on how well we'd been doing so far. However, if you felt that you were struggling/moving too fast, they could move you down (as long as the class had space and it corresponded with your option blocks).
I want to do Latin but I've already nearly finished year 10. Is it too late to start? How did you self teach yourself to do it? Was it difficult to cope with Latin and other GCSEs ?
Original post by Aisa
I took an extra GCSE in year eleven. I simply taught myself the syllabus, went to the exams officer and asked him to enter me for it. He entered me, but said I might need to pay about £30. In the end, they didn't get me to pay for it because they wanted to be able to say that someone had done that GCSE, but I think that they would for History simply because lots of people do it. The bonus of that is that you can easily find cheap textbooks.

Ask your exams officer or History teachers at school. It might be an idea to try and learn a bit of it now, and then ask them in October or November, at the end of the first half term, so that you can show you've already put work into it. Otherwise they might think you're just going to sit around doing nothing. That way, you can also get them to let you do a mock at the same time as the students who have lessons in it. If you get a decent grade, on a par with the other students, they'll probably be ok with entering you for the exam.

Normally exam entrance fees are around £30, I think, but you'll have to get textbooks too, or you could use BBC Bitesize. I personally didn't bother getting a textbook for Latin and just used online stuff, but I haven't got my results yet so I'm not sure how that will end up.

Did you pass?
Original post by Aisa
I took an extra GCSE in year eleven. I simply taught myself the syllabus, went to the exams officer and asked him to enter me for it. He entered me, but said I might need to pay about £30. In the end, they didn't get me to pay for it because they wanted to be able to say that someone had done that GCSE, but I think that they would for History simply because lots of people do it. The bonus of that is that you can easily find cheap textbooks.

Ask your exams officer or History teachers at school. It might be an idea to try and learn a bit of it now, and then ask them in October or November, at the end of the first half term, so that you can show you've already put work into it. Otherwise they might think you're just going to sit around doing nothing. That way, you can also get them to let you do a mock at the same time as the students who have lessons in it. If you get a decent grade, on a par with the other students, they'll probably be ok with entering you for the exam.

Normally exam entrance fees are around £30, I think, but you'll have to get textbooks too, or you could use BBC Bitesize. I personally didn't bother getting a textbook for Latin and just used online stuff, but I haven't got my results yet so I'm not sure how that will end up.

How was it ?
Reply 56
Original post by RookieblueFreak
Hi, I am fourteen and am starting my GCSE's but due to changes at our school they have cut one of our options, instead of offering the maximum of 12 GCSE's there will be 11. So I decided not to take history.
But I have recently found out that you take a GCSE outside of school by independent learning then paying to take the exam. Could anyone help me with this? I would love to know:
-where I can take it (London??)
-who I can speak to
-the cost of this

Hi, there. 11 GCSEs is already enough but you can do extra GCSEs if you wish i.e. in a Modern Foreign Language. If you want to do an additional GCSE on top of what you're doing, best thing is to talk to your school about it, especially with MFL. Hope that helps. :smile:
Chlorophile, I was wondering if you could help me out I have a few questions and was looking for some advice as to what to do in my situation, my school only offers us six GCSE subjects to take with the option of taking pre as an extra. Unfortunately, I have only begun my research into the university I would like to go to and have discovered that I need seven GCSE as an entry requirement what would u suggest I do as it's too late to pick PRE up now? If you could get back to with this information it would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by RookieblueFreak
Hi, I am fourteen and am starting my GCSE's but due to changes at our school they have cut one of our options, instead of offering the maximum of 12 GCSE's there will be 11. So I decided not to take history.
But I have recently found out that you take a GCSE outside of school by independent learning then paying to take the exam. Could anyone help me with this? I would love to know:
-where I can take it (London??)
-who I can speak to
-the cost of this

History is a weird gcse, as long as you learn how to answer the styles of question (4,8,12,16 marks) then you should be good to be honest!
History is a lot of work. If you can then I’d switch your easiest option for History and then self-study that. I’m doing Computer Science outside of school and although it may be my favourite option, it’s much easier to do alone compared to my other subjects (Economics and DT).

Quick Reply

Latest