The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Because TSR has made a hole in my brain making me think that B's are a reeaaallyyyy bad grade so now I seem to be disappointed with my 4 B's regardless of the fact my other GCSEs are 4 A*'s & 2 A's.
Original post by Yousf
What did you get for a level?

I didn't do A Levels, I did BTEC in business. I achieved D*DD
Original post by ennahaspatience
No this is just TSR. Everybody else would know it's not the end of the world if you don't get into Oxbridge

Thing is, I did get into Oxford! TSR is so guilty of spreading rumors surrounding Oxbridge and GCSE requirements, the advice that was given to me was that if someone has less than 6A*'s they shouldn't bother or at the very least they will be disadvantaged - the only way to find out is to apply. It's so sad that I have seen droves of students out off applying based on misinformation.

I guess we have to bear in mind the types of people who are likely to use TSR; proactive and ambitious students (which to be fair isn't a true cross section of schools / sixth forms)

Original post by tgwktm
me too, far too much pressure is put on youngsters, even children in primary school worry about not doing well enough in sat's or whatever they are called now, children as young as 4 are being diagnosed with stress disorders. it isn't right.

I completely agree; the amount of stress on teenagers is ridiculous and the government have only resolved to toughen up exams even more :frown:
As long as you have B's or higher for GCSE for the following subjects you're fine: Mathematics, English and English literature.
Some people have ridiculously high expectations.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Yousf
What did you get for a level?

GCSE RESULTS MADNESS

Legend out
Original post by KAWK
I did ****ty only 6 A* and 4 A. How can i do dentistry with these? And yes I did cry.

Prime example.
:u:
Original post by colourtheory
Thing is, I did get into Oxford! TSR is so guilty of spreading rumors surrounding Oxbridge and GCSE requirements, the advice that was given to me was that if someone has less than 6A*'s they shouldn't bother or at the very least they will be disadvantaged - the only way to find out is to apply. It's so sad that I have seen droves of students out off applying based on misinformation.

I guess we have to bear in mind the types of people who are likely to use TSR; proactive and ambitious students (which to be fair isn't a true cross section of schools / sixth forms)

I completely agree; the amount of stress on teenagers is ridiculous and the government have only resolved to toughen up exams even more :frown:

what did u get at gcse and a level and what did u apply for at oxbridge ?
Original post by neovernamon
what did u get at gcse and a level and what did u apply for at oxbridge ?

GCSE - 2A*, 6A, 2B
A level - A* (History), A* (History of Art), A (English Literature)
BA (Hons) History (Oxford) - Second Class, Division One
MSt History of Art (Oxford) - Distinction

Do you have any specific questions?
Original post by Typhoon235
I'm amazed and also slightly irritated by the number of people who've just got GCSE results and are coming on here complaining that despite the fact they have nearly all As, they consider themselves to have done badly.

What the hell is that all about? I did my GCSEs 2 years ago and I got nearly all As with 2Bs. I was overjoyed with that. But by some standards on here I should have been crying and sinking into depression.

Seriously, if you have grades like As then there is no problem. It's probably not going to affect your chances at uni too much as they mainly look at AS grades. I really don't understand why people are getting so worked up over this.

I'm sorry I had to make this thread. It probably makes me look a bit of an idiot but I don't care, somebody had to say it.

TLDR Version- stop crying over good results! How do you think the people who got grades like Bs and Cs must feel if you're thinking your grades are bad?

Rant over, carry on.

sorry for a reply thats like 8 years late, but this kind of behavior sprouts from unhealthily high expectations. Someone may have really pressuring and judgy parents, growing up, if everything wasnt 100% all As, i’d get in trouble or a lecture. The parents are usually to blame, putting a bad idea into student’s heads that if its passing, it still isnt enough.

Latest