The Student Room Group

move to Digital marketing sector, Question about my situation

Hello Guys,

I´m a german who moved here to London one year ago to study. I´m not quite familiar yet with the whole education system here and I was wondering if anyone can give me an advise about my situation now.

here´s a quick overview...
I started Music production & Business degree course last year and I finished now the first year ( Cert HE ). In germany I worked 5 years in insurance sector (field work and customer service).

I dont want to go on with my Music production course now because the content is very poor in my opinion. So I applied now for full time jobs here in london etc ... I´m really eager to get into the digital market sector and I think this is what I want to do in future! But of course I didnt get the jobs I applied for (junior marketing executive etc) because I have absolutely no experience in this field. So I´m just wondering now If I can use my Cert HE in any way maybe to go on a degree course in digital market? or I also saw some short courses (10weeks) at London universities for that sector....
but there´s of course the whole internet full with free digital marketing courses and tutorials, so I could learn alot by myself...

I´m really interested in your opinion guys which way you would recommend.... of course would be great to get some opinions from people who are in the digital market sector...

thank you very much!
Daniel
Reply 1
just found this 10 weekly classes course at city university london....

http://www.city.ac.uk/courses/short-courses/digital-marketing-introduction

would you think such a course as reference will help my CV that has no previous marketing experience to get a junior role or some similar?
Hi, I head up recruitment for the largest independent digital marketing agency, Forward3D.

My advice would be to take some free courses online - lynda.com is a good place to start. That way you can see if you really do want to work in digital marketing initially.

We would consider those 10 week paid courses to be pointless really, you should concentrate on applying directly to the biggest agencies in your chosen field. They all hire grads.

We run graduate intakes all the time so keep an eye on our website.

You'll need to decide between PPC, SEO and display advertising as they require very different skill-sets.

The core of digital marketing is mathematics though, so if you don't have above average skills in maths and data manipulation, it's probably not the career for you.

Your language skills should stand you in good stead though, as long as your English skills are good.

I hope this helps.
Sorry just re-read your email.

We don't discriminate when it comes to grad vs non-grad by the way. Some of our most senior and best people here don't have degrees.
Hi Daniel,

We have a paid internship (normal graduate salary) for the next three months for a German speaker if you are interested?

Original post by nolimit85
Hello Guys,

I´m a german who moved here to London one year ago to study. I´m not quite familiar yet with the whole education system here and I was wondering if anyone can give me an advise about my situation now.

here´s a quick overview...
I started Music production & Business degree course last year and I finished now the first year ( Cert HE ). In germany I worked 5 years in insurance sector (field work and customer service).

I dont want to go on with my Music production course now because the content is very poor in my opinion. So I applied now for full time jobs here in london etc ... I´m really eager to get into the digital market sector and I think this is what I want to do in future! But of course I didnt get the jobs I applied for (junior marketing executive etc) because I have absolutely no experience in this field. So I´m just wondering now If I can use my Cert HE in any way maybe to go on a degree course in digital market? or I also saw some short courses (10weeks) at London universities for that sector....
but there´s of course the whole internet full with free digital marketing courses and tutorials, so I could learn alot by myself...

I´m really interested in your opinion guys which way you would recommend.... of course would be great to get some opinions from people who are in the digital market sector...

thank you very much!
Daniel

Quick Reply

Latest