The Student Room Group

Job interview question

Hi all,

I have an interview tomorrow for a similar job that I'm already in (receptionist/admin) and I was just wondering, if they asked me why I am trying to leave my job how can I phrase politely/correctly that the things they do here are what I consider immoral and dodgy. They twist things here and bend rules a lot. Am I even allowed to say that kind of thing? Another reason why I hate it here is we used to be a 5 man team and now there's just me and the work load is the same if not way more. Everything is done manually and takes forever but they expect me to process about 400 assignments in a few days while being the only one managing reception all day alone as well with no assistance. They also very clearly consider themselves as a business first and foremost and not as an educational provider and this is not where I want to stay and work, so I am trying to move from the private sector to the public sector.

Basically, I hate my job.

Also as a side note, what other reasons could I potentially give for wanting to leave?

Thank you all in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Glimmering moon
if they asked me why I am trying to leave my job how can I phrase politely/correctly that the things they do here are what I consider immoral and dodgy.

This is a big no-no during interviews. You do not speak ill of your previous employers. It shows that you are disrespectful and potentially difficult to get along with. Keep your opinion to yourself, your new employers do not need to know this. Stick with the standard "I am looking for a new challenge". You never know who you may be upsetting.

You have to accept not all jobs are going to be great, but as a professional you shouldn't cuss about them to your new employer. It appears very childish. Perhaps mention that you didn't like the working environment and keep it as much as that.
Original post by NX172
This is a big no-no during interviews. You do not speak ill of your previous employers. It shows that you are disrespectful and potentially difficult to get along with. Keep your opinion to yourself, your new employers do not need to know this. Stick with the standard "I am looking for a new challenge". You never know who you may be upsetting.

You have to accept not all jobs are going to be great, but as a professional you shouldn't cuss about them to your new employer. It appears very childish. Perhaps mention that you didn't like the working environment and keep it as much as that.

I suspected as much but wasn't quite sure. Thank you so much for your time!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending