The Student Room Group

When do i start applying to college and how?

Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
You mean University?

Yeah you apply through ucas.

The deadline for Oxbridge, Medicine, Dentistry and Veterinary Medicne is 15th October 2014.

Deadline for the majority of other courses is January 2015.

Interviews:
You definitely get an interview if you are applying for any Oxbridge courses and if you apply to do Medicine (at any UK University) then you, I'm 98% sure, get an interview. I know Southhampton University doesn't require an interview (not entirely sure though) but I don't know any other university not asking for an interview for Medicine.
(edited 9 years ago)
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by STUDYREVISE
no, sorry. I meant college/sixth form.... I don't know much about it.

No you don't apply through ucas.

Go onto the college/sixty form's (that you intend to go to website) and click apply.

For example, if you want to go to Langley sixth form then you would google 'Apply Langley Sixth Form' and go from there.

Or you can visit them and ask for all a paper application and send it off after filling it out.

I applied near the end of year 10.

Your school should help you out so ask them for any help.
(edited 9 years ago)
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
this may sound silly, but how do you apply for college? Is it through the UCAS website? so from what I have heard, there are just a bunch of questions on the UCAS website and you answer them. the applications get sent to the college of your choice and if they like you, they ask for an interview? if they like you then, you get a place at the college? is this correct?
I have just read that applications must be submitted early December?!!?
- how do you apply
- when do you apply
- generally, when do you get an interview and how long is an average interview?
- are there dead lines for applying, if so, when are they generally?

College/6th form isnt through ucas. I believe the details depend on the college but this is what vaguely happens (from experience)

-u get a form to fill out (some let u do it online otherwise ask)
-u get invited for an interview by post or email usually
-they tell u if u got a place and enrolment date
-u go on enrolment day and confirm ur place

If you want to go college starting this year September 2014 you should have applied already

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
oh, okay thanks.
could you give me any ideas on what is generally on the application forms?

Oh God, I filled mine out quite a while ago...

From what I can remember, you will need to choose what subjects you want to do.

I think you write down what GCSEs you are doing/have done and your predicted grade.

You may need to write down if you have done any work experience/volunteering.

I know they ask if you have any sort of disabillities, do you get free school meals, do you get extra time in exams, your nationality... Etc.
this may sound silly, but how do you apply for college? Is it through the UCAS website? so from what I have heard, there are just a bunch of questions on the UCAS website and you answer them. the applications get sent to the college of your choice and if they like you, they ask for an interview? if they like you then, you get a place at the college? is this correct?
I have just read that applications must be submitted early December?!!?
- how do you apply
- when do you apply
- generally, when do you get an interview and how long is an average interview?
- are there dead lines for applying, if so, when are they generally?

to apply, depends on each school but you either apply by a form they may have that you need to print out, or online, check the sixth form's website. You apply now I think? the deadlines usually range from november - february, some are quite early and some are really late, I advise you to start looking now so you don't miss out on deadlines, also open evenings usually start around this time and go on till december or january next year possibly if they're really late with things so you should check now when the sixth forms' open evening is so you get a chance to see it. I think interviews may happen early next year, I've only had one interview so my answer is not probably entirely accurate, but I'm guessing they don't last too long, mine only lasted 5-10 mins
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
and I can use the same application for all the colleges I am applying for right?

Nope. Different applications for different colleges.

Say if you want to apply to three different colleges then you fill out three different forms.
Posted on TheStudentRoom
(edited 8 years ago)
thanks.
gosh, I didn't realise it was all so close!
our school haven't even mentioned anything about colleges to us.

aha don't worry too much, realistically speaking I think most people start looking for other schools in october - december?, but I remember this time last year my friend had started looking at schools and they had their open evening so early! It's good to be prepared just in case you missed out on something, if there's any particular schools you plan on applying to, just check when their open evenings and deadlines for apps are because they might have it early!
UCAS is only for Universities, and you get your log in details and such when you're in college/sixth form :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending