The Student Room Group

Becoming an Elementary School teacher in the USA?

Hi there,

I have just started my first year at college in the UK and it has really opened my eyes to what opportunities and careers I would like to do when I leave and go to Uni. Originally I was interested in going into the Law sector and working in a Solicitors office. But now that reality has kicked in and I am looking at getting grades that are more realistic, I have decided that I would like to go into teaching.

I have been training Karate for 10 years now and have recently been able to go into schools and help out with After-school karate lessons there (I'm 16) and this has really helped me to realise how fulfilling it is to work with kids and seem then develop.

As a British student I have witnessed how the education system works and it doesn't really appeal to me. What does appeal to me is working in America and becoming a teacher there.

I am not interested in becoming a High School teacher and teaching just one subject but instead I would like to teach in an Elementary School (almost identical age range to a British Primary School.

I was wondering what qualifications I would need for this in the long run. I would like to go to the USA and get a Bachelor's in Education there (a Bachelor's being one of the requirements to get a teaching license). Is there any of major requirements in order to go into teaching there and do you guys think its possible? I know it vary's state by stare and the two main states I am interested in is New York and California (either coast line really :wink:)

In addition, I am not 100% clear on what requirements are needed for going to Uni in america, though I know I would need to sit an SAT and/or ACT. Is there anything else?

Sorry to go on but last question XD... If this is a realistic opportunity then which Uni's would you recommend for getting a B.s in education?

Thank you for any replies and sorry in advance for any grammar sins :biggrin:

Ben :smile:
Reply 1
Hi Ben, are you a US citizen, or hold a green card? If not, then I'm afraid the chances of you moving to the US as a teacher are minimal. In order to live and work in the US, you need a visa. In order to get a visa, a company/school must sponsor you, and prove that the position cannot be filled by a US citizen. Unfortunately there are many unemployed teachers in the US, so the chances of a school sponsoring you for a visa at great cost (thousands $) and time are unlikely, as they can get someone without the extra cost, just as well qualified, and available to start tomorrow.

If you wish to get your degree in the US, you may be able to get a student visa (F1). University degrees in the US are typically 4 years, and are very expensive for non-residents (think $30k/year minimum with living expenses - $120k for the entire degree). You won't be able to get any UK student finance either, and you aren't allowed to work unless it's on campus. At the end of your degree, you typically have to leave the US unless you can get sponsored for a visa (again, same position as above).

I'd say the only real possibility of moving to the US as a teacher is to get qualified in the UK, get extensive experience, get a masters, and then apply for private British schools, such as The British Schools of America.
Reply 2
What specifically interests you about teaching in the US, as opposed to in the UK?
Reply 3
Original post by Angelil
What specifically interests you about teaching in the US, as opposed to in the UK?

Probably just TV and Films...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending