The Student Room Group

What to wear for Work Experience in a Hospital?

Removed.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes, smart is shirt, tie, trousers, dark shoes. Go in on the Monday like this, you can always dress down the next day or take your tie off if you feel over dressed when you have gauged the situation.
No need for a tie since you'll be asked to take it off on the wards for hygiene reasons. Smart shirt, trousers and smart shoes will do.
Reply 3
A tie will probably be too formal. Also, im pretty sure ties arent meant to be worn in hospitals for hygiene reasons. My boyfriend is a fifth year medical student, and to the hospital he wears a shirt, no tie, smart shoes and either black trousers or other smart trousers such as chinos/cords, basically anything except jeans.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dress shirt with sleeves rolled up (you can wear a short sleeved one instead but you'll look like a plonker), suit trousers and smart black shoes. You might be able to get away with chinos and trainers but it would depend on the person you're working with so I'd stay safe and go with the more formal option.
Original post by 19ACH98
I'm a male, who has obtained 5 days of work experience with a surgeon, what should I wear? In the information, it has said smart so is this shirt, tie, trousers and black shoes? Just checking. Thanks!

I'd say shirt, trousers, and black shoes. I wouldn't wear a tie.
Reply 6
Don't wear a suit, there is no need and the doctors won't be. There may also be nowhere secure to leave your jacket and any belongings.
Reply 7
Good luck with the Infection Control team...
You have to have sleeves rolled up to past your elbow for infection control and no tie and no watch.

You won't be able to keep a blazer on.
In clinical settings it may have to be short sleeves (hygiene control). Just a thought.
Go in a suit & tie if you want. I did. They'll just ask you to take them off and hang them up and then roll your sleeves up.
Original post by curtis110
Go in a suit & tie if you want. I did. They'll just ask you to take them off and hang them up and then roll your sleeves up.

There's really no need to wear a suit in the first place. You're not a consultant and this isn't an office anyway.
If you mean a GP surgery, you'll probably be fine sitting in the corner with your suit on if you really want but I would take your blazer off. If you mean you're observing in theatre, then wear what you want, you'll change into scrubs there anyway. If you're just shadowing a surgeon in wards/clinics, then it is probably best to keep bare below the elbows and keep in mind there may be nowhere to leave your jacket if you go for a ward round.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
In my experience it really is just shirt and formal trousers (can be anything really, just as long as it's not denim or really bright) and some good quality shoes. Having just finished 2 weeks work experience in a hospital wearing very cheap, thin soled shoes I cannot stress enough how important it is to be comfortable! No jackets or ties are to be worn in practice as there's an infection risk, but you can wear a jacket there and leave it in the staff room or something.
Original post by Democracy
There's really no need to wear a suit in the first place. You're not a consultant and this isn't an office anyway.

It depends where you go, one hospital mentioned a suit in the email but for the rest I just went in a shirt and tie and a hoodie.
Do you mean a GP surgery, or an operating theatre?
Reply 17
As a GP, I can tell you that the dress standards vary dramatically. You will make a better impression if you go smart (even a suit would be fine) with the option to dress it down a bit if everyone else is in jeans and a polo. You will not lose any points for overdressing, but won't make the best impression if you are underdressed.
They are likely to have you sitting quietly in the room with the Dr, but depending on what is happening/size of practice, you may get to see some minor surgery, duty doctor work, home visits, etc. You should also take the opportunity to sit in with the Practice Nurses (looks impressive at interview if you can explain their role and how important they are to General Practice today), the Receptionists and Admin (lets you talk about how important teamwork is), and the Practice Manager (lets you see the part of GP that is running a business-again useful interview fodder). Smile all the time, be polite and respectful, ask if you can make anyone and everyone a cup of tea or coffee and cakes and/or biscuits will probably go down well later you have seen the lay of the land. Usually you will not get the chance to share much more than polite chit chat with the odd patient (there is only 10mins per appointment), but again, be polite, act interested and remember how privileged you are that they have let you sit in on their consultation (they will be offered the opportunity to say no before entering the room). Don't over-question the GP, but do ask any questions you've got. We like enthusiasm, but not being pestered during a busy day. Offer to stay to the end (most of us work 8am to about 7pm as a minimum), though you will probably be allowed to go after patient contact ends, BUT, insisting you need to leave at 5 due to prior commitments will not make a good impression. Also, seeing the admin/paperwork we have to do will give you a fuller view of the job-and again, good interview material. Hope that helps-any questions, just ask.
During my work experience at hospitals I wore a shirt, trousers, belt, black shoes. Sleeves rolled up on shirt, no watch and no tie (infection control). :smile:
They don't really have "departments" there. There'll be the GPs, a practice nurse or two, and then admin/reception - numbers depening on the size of surgery.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending