The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pinkbullets
I think a lot of people are being quite harsh about this guy, he probably doesn't realise that he's hurting you. Next time he does it just stop him and ask him calmly to give you examples of how you are sheltered. He obviously won't be able to give you any and he'll hopefully stop making them stupid jokes.

He knows that it irritates me and I've asked him not to belittle me/my life. I'm going to sit him down on Friday and hope that he understands, rather than argues about it, as he has a tendency of seeing my wanting a serious conversation as me criticising him.

Original post by Musie Suzie
The truth is that he knows you're better than him, and this is the one thing he's found he thinks he can put you down about to make himself feel better.

After reading everyone's comments, I think you're quite right. You just want to believe that who you're with wouldn't want to hurt you. I would think that at his age, he'd know how to communicate and not take his own insecurities out on the people close to him.
Original post by Crumpet1
OP, this is not right. Relationships are supposed to feel nice. If the person you are with is making you feel bad, something is desperately wrong.

:frown: I know, I think I try and brush it off because it's not like this very often, and we do have good times too. I just don't want him to think it bothers me too much because when I've asked him not to belittle me, he's done it again but digs even deeper.

It's killing me waiting to have this conversation because I have to pretend everything's fine until I see him in person - he gets haughty if he comes to meet me knowing that I want a serious chat.
Original post by Anonymous
:frown: I know, I think I try and brush it off because it's not like this very often, and we do have good times too. I just don't want him to think it bothers me too much because when I've asked him not to belittle me, he's done it again but digs even deeper.

It's killing me waiting to have this conversation because I have to pretend everything's fine until I see him in person - he gets haughty if he comes to meet me knowing that I want a serious chat.

Love is ... bigging you up, not beating you down.
Love is ... bigging you up, not beating you down.

True...I just need to figure out if it's even worth trying to make this work anymore :confused:
True...I just need to figure out if it's even worth trying to make this work anymore :confused:

See how your discussion goes. I think that will probably tell you all you need to know about how much he cares for your feelings.
See how your discussion goes. I think that will probably tell you all you need to know about how much he cares for your feelings.

Thanks for the advice and everything; I'll see how it goes and update the post after Fri! :s-smilie:

After reading everyone's comments, I think you're quite right. You just want to believe that who you're with wouldn't want to hurt you. I would think that at his age, he'd know how to communicate and not take his own insecurities out on the people close to him.

You would, really. It's not going to go away either - as you go through life entrenching your success further he may well get quite bitter towards you. I think you need to try and make it clear at this stage that it's not okay for him to make you feel bad about doing well in life.
Reply 47
Just to be nosy what are ur grade? Maybe he's jealous?
Just agreeing with what most people have said, and again just think about once you'll have a job and will probably earn more whilst working in probably better conditions and you'll still be in the first half of your 20s whilst he'll be in his 30s...
Also you don't sound sheltered at all, for me that would be if you'd lived at home all your life with nice parents paying for your every desire. But you sound like you've seen a fair bit of the world!! (and as I've moved abroad multiple time, I vouch for how it is everything BUT sheltering >.<)

I think it's nice to have relationships that cross social and age barriers but there's reasons why there's not that many of them sadly :/ and it would be a shame to not be able to enjoy your success because he doesn't appreciate it!

However I do hope you guys can work it out and both gain from this! :biggrin:
Well guys, I had a chat with him today and he agreed not to make any more snide comments, but in a completely dismissive way as if to shut me up. I didn't even want to argue about it and approached him politely but sternly, and he just said, "Yeah, ok ok" because he didn't want to start an argument and bring himself down from the high he was on from moving into a new flat! :mad:
Original post by Maudee4567
Just agreeing with what most people have said, and again just think about once you'll have a job and will probably earn more whilst working in probably better conditions and you'll still be in the first half of your 20s whilst he'll be in his 30s...
Also you don't sound sheltered at all, for me that would be if you'd lived at home all your life with nice parents paying for your every desire. But you sound like you've seen a fair bit of the world!! (and as I've moved abroad multiple time, I vouch for how it is everything BUT sheltering >.<)

I think it's nice to have relationships that cross social and age barriers but there's reasons why there's not that many of them sadly :/ and it would be a shame to not be able to enjoy your success because he doesn't appreciate it!

However I do hope you guys can work it out and both gain from this! :biggrin:

Thanks, Maudee! In the beginning, you never really think too much about how different barriers will define the relationship. It just kind of sneaks up on you when you're in too deep to just walk away :s-smilie:
Well guys, I had a chat with him today and he agreed not to make any more snide comments, but in a completely dismissive way as if to shut me up. I didn't even want to argue about it and approached him politely but sternly, and he just said, "Yeah, ok ok" because he didn't want to start an argument and bring himself down from the high he was on from moving into a new flat! :mad:

Well that's good. Hopefully despite his tone, he will think about it and do what he has promised. If not, don't let him continue doing it.
A couple of things.

So, you are still upset and he wasn't taking your comments seriously.

The chances are he'll be at it again soon. This will be the test of how serious you are. Do you think you've given him an ultimatum? In other words are you going to go if he starts up again? If you don't then the message you're giving him loud and clear, is that he can abuse you and you won't react. Expect, that from giving you verbal abuse it will degenerate pretty quickly into an odd slap or two, then an odd punch or two. Once you've had a baby it'll become a regular thing and more violent as he'll think you've trapped him and,paradoxically, you can't leave and are at his mercy.

This is a man without any self awareness who is harbouring deep feelings of resentment against you and, as we and you know, can't or doesn't want to control his 'teasing'.

This is a man who teases you more if you complain. ( He really is quite a nasty person. ) What about when you are ill or pregnant will he still be teasing you? Of course , even more, because that is what bullies do : they pile on the pressure as soon as they see some vulnerability.

What else do we know about him? He's very immature, can't control 'his body parts', is not living with the mother of his child. Is he even supporting his child financially?

Well, you've seen the future. He left ( or did she throw him out? hopefully.) his girl friend no doubt because he couldn't face up to the situation. He'll leave you too when things get real. Anticipate this and leave him instead. Be thankful you haven't got a child together and have to have a relationship with him for years to come.

A word of warning. The most likely time for him to turn violent is when you tell him you're off. His ego won't like it. Make sure you tell him in a public place preferably with a table between you. And make sure there's some one there to take you home. Change the locks if he's got a key.
Original post by pickup
A couple of things.

So, you are still upset and he wasn't taking your comments seriously.

The chances are he'll be at it again soon. This will be the test of how serious you are. Do you think you've given him an ultimatum? In other words are you going to go if he starts up again? If you don't then the message you're giving him loud and clear, is that he can abuse you and you won't react. Expect, that from giving you verbal abuse it will degenerate pretty quickly into an odd slap or two, then an odd punch or two. Once you've had a baby it'll become a regular thing and more violent as he'll think you've trapped him and,paradoxically, you can't leave and are at his mercy.

This is a man without any self awareness who is harbouring deep feelings of resentment against you and, as we and you know, can't or doesn't want to control his 'teasing'.

This is a man who teases you more if you complain. ( He really is quite a nasty person. ) What about when you are ill or pregnant will he still be teasing you? Of course , even more, because that is what bullies do : they pile on the pressure as soon as they see some vulnerability.

What else do we know about him? He's very immature, can't control 'his body parts', is not living with the mother of his child. Is he even supporting his child financially?

Well, you've seen the future. He left ( or did she throw him out? hopefully.) his girl friend no doubt because he couldn't face up to the situation. He'll leave you too when things get real. Anticipate this and leave him instead. Be thankful you haven't got a child together and have to have a relationship with him for years to come.

A word of warning. The most likely time for him to turn violent is when you tell him you're off. His ego won't like it. Make sure you tell him in a public place preferably with a table between you. And make sure there's some one there to take you home. Change the locks if he's got a key.

Thanks for your advice; it did jump to extremes quite quickly though! I definitely won't be sticking around if it happens again because I'm sick of being belittled. The issue is that poking fun at people is what he and his family are used to, so he uses that as an excuse.

I'm not defending his actions towards me, but he did step up to the mark with his daughter and sees her twice a week every week. He and his ex broke up because to put it plainly, even though he rushed to get a job and a roof over their heads when the news came, the money wasn't good enough for her, so constant arguments ensued. Don't worry, I won't be having babies for another 10 years yet.

I tried to break up with him once before (for different reasons) and he was the complete opposite, he was just lifeless. So I'm not worried that it'll come to that, I just want him to treat me as he did at the start.
Well that's good. Hopefully despite his tone, he will think about it and do what he has promised. If not, don't let him continue doing it.

Fingers crossed! I have also noticed that he's been asking for my approval a lot recently e.g. he got stroppy because I didn't ask about a specific event related to a new band he's joined (even though I'd asked about his other band's gig on the same weekend). He also asked me 5 times what I thought of his new shared flat, as though it were vital that I liked it.

So it's clear that it's insecurity that's driving him to insult me, but at the same time, causing him to try meeting what he believes my standards are.
Relationships alter, if you're lucky get better. If it's getting worse already there's not much hope for the long haul. You could end up as one of those couples who can't bear each other but can't break away. Nightmare.

Crucially you've got to weigh up the chances of him making you happy. And you making him happy.

I think you've got your answer on both counts - neither of you is happy at the moment and the dynamic of the relationship is not good, taking you in the wrong direction I fear. To an outsider it seems quite claustrophobic and unhealthy.

You don't have to break up badly - just explain calmly that you both need time apart to rediscover yourselves, or something.
Original post by pickup
Relationships alter, if you're lucky get better. If it's getting worse already there's not much hope for the long haul. You could end up as one of those couples who can't bear each other but can't break away. Nightmare.

Crucially you've got to weigh up the chances of him making you happy. And you making him happy.

I think you've got your answer on both counts - neither of you is happy at the moment and the dynamic of the relationship is not good, taking you in the wrong direction I fear. To an outsider it seems quite claustrophobic and unhealthy.

You don't have to break up badly - just explain calmly that you both need time apart to rediscover yourselves, or something.

Yeah, I tried suggesting a break to him before and he said he either wanted to stay together or break up completely because he didn't want to live with the uncertainty of whether I'd come back to him, or if he'd lose me to someone else whilst on a break. That's when I decided to break up with him, but of course, he eventually talked me round and started counselling (which he didn't bother with after a few sessions)...
Original post by pickup
Expect, that from giving you verbal abuse it will degenerate pretty quickly into an odd slap or two, then an odd punch or two. Once you've had a baby it'll become a regular thing and more violent as he'll think you've trapped him and,paradoxically, you can't leave and are at his mercy.

This part I don't agree with. Psychological abuse doesn't inevitably turn into physical abuse, and indeed, sustained belittling remarks are equally damaging in a different way. I don't want OP to be thinking that so long as it hadn't escalated into physical abuse then it's all right. It isn't, and I've seen the effect of sustained insidious undermining on a person. It's not good.
I'm glad this post is on here I needed to read this. I had met a cute "Godly" Latin king who put me down saying I'm sheltered or too good.
It hit a nerve in me even a month later. I was upset. I'm 36 no kids own my own home and always had vehicle have a CDL license Associates degree and currently serving our US military. But I love to learn from others and from life and self reflect.
Of course through my self reflection I find myself asking why am I single? I'm a good person have life experience flexible and get along with everyone.
It's a shame how women can be put down by some trashy men who made their own bad decisions in life and get a high from making others feel bad for doing the right in life. Thanks for everyone's input I needed this read in my life even though it's 9years old.

Latest

Trending

Trending