The Student Room Group

HELP!! Distressed at big 4 - Need Advice

Hi all,

Started at a big 4 in their "risk" practice. Named differently in each of the big 4 but involves (internal audit, IT audit etc.). Long story short I hate the work. Positives: good intake and passed the first few ACA's.

Honestly don't think I'll last more than 6 months in this department judging on how its going. Those who have quit; what ACA fees did you have to pay back?

I want to move departments (not to audit or tax but to Corp Finance service line; includes TS, Restructuring, Corp Fin, Valuations etc.). I've done some experience before in this area so I know I'll like it a lot more. 99% certain they won't let me in first 3 years. Anyone made a switch during first 3 years?

I'm thinking about just starting application process to the other big 3 for grad scheme in above area. Can I get fired for applying elsewhere? Will other big 3 even look at my application with after 3 months at one of their competitors?

Help
Original post by Anonymous8888
Hi all,

Started at a big 4 in their "risk" practice. Named differently in each of the big 4 but involves (internal audit, IT audit etc.). Long story short I hate the work. Positives: good intake and passed the first few ACA's.

Honestly don't think I'll last more than 6 months in this department judging on how its going. Those who have quit; what ACA fees did you have to pay back?

I want to move departments (not to audit or tax but to Corp Finance service line; includes TS, Restructuring, Corp Fin, Valuations etc.). I've done some experience before in this area so I know I'll like it a lot more. 99% certain they won't let me in first 3 years. Anyone made a switch during first 3 years?

I'm thinking about just starting application process to the other big 3 for grad scheme in above area. Can I get fired for applying elsewhere? Will other big 3 even look at my application with after 3 months at one of their competitors?

Help

I personally think you'd be insane to leave. My advice: suffer through it, get your ACA then move in house somewhere. The type of work you do in house is fairly different from what I've been told (my brother was at PWC in the same area, left 2 yrs after qualification) and the work life balance much better if you pick your job wisely. I think you'd regret throwing the chance to get the ACA away to be honest.
I agree with you and actually enjoyed doing the ACA exams I've sat. It's the work that's bothering me. I would still want to finish the ACA if I left. Ideally I just want to move department but I don't think it's going to be possble and 2 and a half years is a long time to be in a job I don't like
What role is your brother doing now can I ask?
What is it that you hate so much? Is there anyone that you can talk it through with at work ? It would be shame to leave and have regrets. Speak to someone to see what can be done first.

Good luck
It's partly my own fault for not researching enough about the role before joining. It's very repetitive work and I though it would be more case-by-case basis different work. There are definitely roles within the firm that I'd enjoy so I'm not going to make any rash decisions but I might try to speak with someone after christmas. Thanks for replies
Original post by Anonymous8888
It's partly my own fault for not researching enough about the role before joining. It's very repetitive work and I though it would be more case-by-case basis different work. There are definitely roles within the firm that I'd enjoy so I'm not going to make any rash decisions but I might try to speak with someone after christmas. Thanks for replies

Sounds good to me to wait till after Christmas rather than make a rash decision. If definitely would be such a great shame to leave when you have got so far and there is so much competition to get a place. What exactly does your work entail?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending