The Student Room Group

Working as a support worker? first day tips needed?

Hiya

Finally, after 3 months I have gained myself a start date for working full time as a support worker.. but am TERRIFIED. o.O

Anyone got any tips for me? also for anyone who's previously worked in the support worker field, how long does the training take roughly?

thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by Samwin
Hiya

Finally, after 3 months I have gained myself a start date for working full time as a support worker.. but am TERRIFIED. o.O

Anyone got any tips for me? also for anyone who's previously worked in the support worker field, how long does the training take roughly?

thanks in advance :smile:

Hi - you don't say what sort of support work - but presumably learning disability or physical disability?

Congrats on the job!!

TIPS - Get on top of the routine your clients prefers, as you are there to make this happen as smoothly as possible. They will be well used to explaining their routine to lots of different people so don't worry about that - you might even make brief notes. I would make your provision as detailed as possible. Remember, you are there to facilitate what they want and not to put in, even remotely, what you want. You are their enabler.

Remember, you are friendly but not friends and it is OK to have a boundary there - take your breaks!! Ask your client how they would prefer you to do things.

Make sure you see your friends too - you might find the first week or so a bit draining - I think support work can make you see things differently to begin with and it can be quite...well, close, sometimes - you might need to balance yourself off by doing something nice for yourself.

Training - I think it will depend on what the training is - my training lasted one day - it was very good though.

Well done though, it is great experience!
Reply 2
thank you! :smile: thats a great help actually, going to be working with Brandon Trust supporting adults and young people with disabilities.. took a while to convince them that having Asperger's syndrome myself won't affect their care... so nervous -_-
Good for you - don't be nervous, they already think you will make a great support worker! Everyone will be used to getting to know knew faces, it is a part of it all, so they will want to get to know you as you will want to get to know them. You are probably there with another support worker, so they will also show you the ropes. Perhaps take something with you, like the Metro newspaper, that you can use as a conversation starter or 'prop' - or get busy doing some sort of task that needs doing if appropriate - ask the other support worker - and perhaps in a quiet time you can quiz the other support worker about the ups and downs of the place.

I think you will enjoy your first day and wonder why you were worried!

Original post by Samwin
thank you! :smile: thats a great help actually, going to be working with Brandon Trust supporting adults and young people with disabilities.. took a while to convince them that having Asperger's syndrome myself won't affect their care... so nervous -_-
Congrats on the job- I started working as a support worker in august 2013 and my induction process took a while but I guess it depends where you are working. I work in residential care for adults aged 45-50 with learning and physical disabilities in a residential setting. I had to spend a day reading all the policies and procedures which was a bit daunting but you will get used to following them. I also had some paperwork to fill in in my free time as I learned through shadowing the other staff. I think I shadowed for around a month as I hadnt worked in the sector before and I am still there now, mentoring new starters so its funny being in the other role! I also had an intensive e-learning training programme which included modules in areas like food hygiene, safeguarding and first aid, and a number of face to face courses which is really good. You may have some relevant courses depending on the company you work for and the needs of the people you support.
If you have any questions feel free to ask, il do my best to help. :smile:
Reply 5
I am starting tomorrow so I couldn’t help but search for tips on google and came across this thread. How did it go? Do you have any advise for me?ThanksHopefully it all went well in your case
Reply 6
How did your first day go? Hopefully well? I'm starting next week. So nervous!
Reply 7
Morning
I’m starting my new job tomorrow as a family support key worker! I’m more nervous now then what I was before the interview!
I’ve been told I’ll be doing some online training and shadowing
What else should I expect
Thanks a lot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending