The Student Room Group

I think I like a guy but I don't feel like talking to him everyday?

there is this guy and he said he likes me and we went on a date, and even though it went really well I was slightly unsure about it. Now I think about it, I was probably unsure because it felt like everything was moving too fast. I've had a few days to think about it and I think I like him as well, still not 100%, but so far he has texted me everyday... and I'm fairly introverted so I find it quite draining.

Is this normal if I like him? I feel bad because I haven't responded to him for a day so he might be freaking out thinking I don't like him when that's not true. I want to arrange to see him again but I also felt like I needed my own space.

My question is, firstly, does it sound like I'm interested in him? I think I am but I'm not sure whether it's partly because I'm sick of being single.
Secondly, is there a way I can let him know without offending him that at this stage I'm not the kind of person who talks to someone everyday? The only people I can do that with atm is my best friend and my family. Obviously if things go well with him then I'll get better.
Original post by Anonymous
there is this guy and he said he likes me and we went on a date, and even though it went really well I was slightly unsure about it. Now I think about it, I was probably unsure because it felt like everything was moving too fast. I've had a few days to think about it and I think I like him as well, still not 100%, but so far he has texted me everyday... and I'm fairly introverted so I find it quite draining.

Is this normal if I like him? I feel bad because I haven't responded to him for a day so he might be freaking out thinking I don't like him when that's not true. I want to arrange to see him again but I also felt like I needed my own space.

My question is, firstly, does it sound like I'm interested in him? I think I am but I'm not sure whether it's partly because I'm sick of being single.
Secondly, is there a way I can let him know without offending him that at this stage I'm not the kind of person who talks to someone everyday? The only people I can do that with atm is my best friend and my family. Obviously if things go well with him then I'll get better.

You don't need to talk to someone everyday nor every hour of the day to let them know you care about them! And he is certainly doing so. You need your own space, and if I was you, I'd feel like not replying either... However, you gotta be sure you like him the way he likes you and if you do, it'll be easier for you to deal with him. I guess he's constantly texting you cos you haven't let him know you like him.

Be sure about your feelings for him, when you reply to him tell him you're busy lol...you could text him every now and then. Wish him to have a good day, or a goodnight before he does (just so that he knows you like him and actually care about him putting so much time and effort with you) but don't overdo it! If he's smart, he'll understand that he's all up in your business lol

As he asked you out yet? Take your time with your decision, see what's about him you like and dislike, be true to yourself!
Reply 2
I think it's important to discuss these things early on in a relationship. My girlfriend and I are both very independent people (she's an introvert, I'm an extrovert, but we're both independent), so we don't feel the "need" to talk to each other daily. We'd like to give each other some space.

We discussed "contact frequency" early in the relationship, and established on a mutual agreement that we'll not need to contact each other every single day. Of course we'd leave each other a good morning or sweet dreams sort of thing, along with links to interesting articles to read and discuss together. But we established that there will be no pressure to call/text each other daily. She is an introvert, so it would drain her energy; I'm an extrovert, so I need to be exploring the broader world on my own and diversify my human contact.

In our case, it makes the relationship strong and spicy - a little bit of space help us develop ourselves by pursuing our respective interests and meeting our own friends, thus making us more interesting persons for each other in the long run. So yeah, tell him in a matter-of-fact way that you need some space for personal reasons because you're an introvert. Even after you carefully tell him who you are, if he does not accept it and gets pissy about it instead, he doesn't deserve you.
Reply 3
I don't talk to my boyfriend every day. We like our space since we are independant people and are always busy with work and uni. But that doesn't mean that we don't love each other a lot.

It's completely normal that you don't want to speak to him every day. That could be very suffocating, especially in the early stages of a relationship. But please, don't leave him hanging by not replying. He will definitely think you aren't interested whatsoever and you will probably lose him. Explain to him that you are introverted, you don't really have conversations with the same people every single day, and it's nothing personal against him. Reassure him that you are still very much interested and you don't want him to be offended when you don't reply to him. I'm sure he will completely understand.
Reply 4
Personally I believe in talking everyday but certainly not every hour and even if the guy texts you often he should understand you can't always respond everyday and if you need space then say so and he should understand if either of you just suddenly go cold that's a little bit weird so as long as you each have an understanding all should be well just tell the guy ya like him but won't always respond and that there might be somedays you don't talk at all if he really likes you too then he should understand
I'm in a relationship, a good, healthy one, and I don't feel the need to talk to her every day. I'd say it's normal.

As mentioned above, we also noted that we wouldn't need to be around each other all the time and that a little independence from each other is a good thing. :yep:
You don't want him, it's fine. Why bother continuing to talk to him? Just tell him you don't want to have sex with him. It's fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending