The Student Room Group

Grab the nearest book, open page 25, line 5. What does it say?

Scroll to see replies

"...seen him. Having him lying around all day annoyed..." - Catch 22
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
I found a link to the book online and it seems interesting. Although, I much prefer holding a book than reading online.

My copy is beautiful, if I do say so myself. It is an edition from 1906, hardback with watercolour illustrations by William Blake. I love old books.

It's like this one:
http://liblamp.uwm.edu/omeka/SPC2/exhibits/show/classictext/milton/milton1906

I really recommend reading it if you get a spare moment, even if only online. It's one of my favourites.
(edited 7 years ago)
I just read some reviews online and it sounds like an interesting book. I love psychological thrillers. Have you read any books by Martina Cole?

Me too :smile: I'm also interested in criminal psychology and I've heard that there is a great twist in this book, so it's perfect for me. :smile: Unfortunately I haven't read any of Cole's books yet, but I would like to. I've heard a lot about her and she seems like a really interesting writer, though I've heard that her books are very graphic.
War and Peace is one of my favourite books! I love Tolstoy. Have you read Anna Karenina? I found it to be a slightly lighter read than War and Peace.

Not yet, I'm just starting out with reading some more classic books and War and Peace was the first one I found that captured my attention, but I might pick that up after I finished with this.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar 😞
Original post by Platopus
My copy is beautiful, if I do say so myself. It is an edition from 1906, hardback with watercolour illustrations by William Blake. I love old books.

It's like this one:
http://liblamp.uwm.edu/omeka/SPC2/exhibits/show/classictext/milton/milton1906

I really recommend reading it if you get a spare moment, even if only online. It's one of my favourites.

I also love old books. I own the majority of Leo Tolstoy's books and they are quite old editions. My favourite is War and Peace which has a particularly lovely smell. I just realised the book you're speaking about is illustrated by William Blake which is a strange coincidence since he happens to be one of my favourite poets. I especially like his poem 'Augeries of Innocence' and 'Tyger Tyger'. I plan to purchase Paradise Lost as soon as exams are over. Thank you for the recommendation.
I also love old books. I own the majority of Leo Tolstoy's books and they are quite old editions. My favourite is War and Peace which has a particularly lovely smell. I just realised the book you're speaking about is illustrated by William Blake which is a strange coincidence since he happens to be one of my favourite poets. I especially like his poem 'Augeries of Innocence' and 'Tyger Tyger'. I plan to purchase Paradise Lost as soon as exams are over. Thank you for the recommendation.

No worries, glad to spread this beautiful poem. There's a sequel called 'Paradise Regained' too which I've actually never read so I think I'll try that over the summer. Hope your exams go well and thanks for giving me a few ideas on books to read too :smile:
Original post by bluebookie
My Heart & Other Black Holes - a really good read that made me question lots of things-there is physics throughout the book but it's relevant and links a lot to life in general. It's about the daughter of a criminal, and I ended up hating a lot of fictional characters bc of how she's treated, amongst other things.

I won't go into too much detail and ramble, but there you have it. It's one of my personal favourites. :smile:

I will have a look at this book. It sounds like something I would enjoy reading. Thanks for your comment.
No worries, glad to spread this beautiful poem. There's a sequel called 'Paradise Regained' too which I've actually never read so I think I'll try that over the summer. Hope your exams go well and thanks for giving me a few ideas on books to read too :smile:

Thank you. My final exam is today, thank goodness. I hope you enjoy Tolsotoy's books if you read them and no problem at all :smile:.
Thank you. My final exam is today, thank goodness. I hope you enjoy Tolsotoy's books if you read them and no problem at all :smile:.

Thanks. Reading 'Gone With the Wind' right now but they're definitely next in my list. Good luck!
''What, Didier?'
'I said nothing!' ''
-The Mountain Shadow - Gregory David Roberts
Hard to tell from that extract, but an absolutely phenomenal book, i'd recommend it and its predecessor Shantaram to anyone
The nearest book to me is A court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas. I don't know how to do this as line 5 is in the middle of a paragraph and it doesn't make sense without parts of lines 4 and 6. So the bits in the speech marks are from line 5:-

I couldn't remember the last "time I'd even left the grounds. A few of the villagers had been invited to" our Winter solstice celebrations.
"I mean why the hell had he bought me anyway?" ~ I Am Zlatan Ibrahimovich

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good evening!
If the nearest book to you has less than 25 pages then just go to the last page. Regarding the # of lines, I'm pretty sure there have got to be 5 at least.
So the nearest book to me is 'The Death Cure'-third book in the Maze Runner Series.
Page 25 - line 5: For the slightest moment, Thomas doubted his decision.
Phew! I haven't even read the first book yet so glad this line didn't give anything away!
Let's go :biggrin:!

...seemed fatal from the very beginning. Nevertheless it was ....

it is from a 1925 German book translated into English.
Original post by davros1996
''What, Didier?'
'I said nothing!' ''
-The Mountain Shadow - Gregory David Roberts
Hard to tell from that extract, but an absolutely phenomenal book, i'd recommend it and its predecessor Shantaram to anyone

I've read Shantaram! It's one of the longest books I've read.
"awarded to Hungry while the south of the region remained part of"
'He moved past her and she glowered then followed him to the third floor'
Out of context it seems a bit... Steamy xD
"four-storey KTS Textile Industries building in Chittagong, with"

from Jeremy Seabrook, The Song of the Shirt: The High Price of Cheap Garments, from Blackburn to Bangladesh
Six days later, Allah decreed the harvest should begin.
Thanks. Reading 'Gone With the Wind' right now but they're definitely next in my list. Good luck!

My exam went well, thank you for wishing me luck. I've heard of 'Gone With the Wind' but I've never had chance to read it. You seem to have a good taste in books so perhaps I'll read it someday. Let me know how 'War and Peace' goes :smile:.
My exam went well, thank you for wishing me luck. I've heard of 'Gone With the Wind' but I've never had chance to read it. You seem to have a good taste in books so perhaps I'll read it someday. Let me know how 'War and Peace' goes :smile:.

Glad to hear it :smile: will do, if I remember haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending