The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Law with Politics??

Does anyone do Law with Politics in Cardiff uni here? Could you tell me what it's like, i'm thinking of doing it too! is the teaching good? are you getting enough of law considering you have to study politics too? how is the law building like?
Reply 1
Hi. I don't do law but I can tell you that the law building is quite nice (I have some lectures there). Hope you get your other questions answered soon! :smile:
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
I'm currently in my first year doing Law and Politics! You study 4 law modules (Criminal, Public, and Contract Law, and Legal Foundations) and then do one politics module each term (I did Political Thought last term and am doing Intro to Government this term). Therefore law is still your main subject, but you get to do Politics as well- joint course modules are shorter than if you do straight law, so you have the same modules but cover slightly fewer topics within each of them.
The teaching consists of 2 lectures per module per week, and then one tutorial for each module every 2 weeks. The teaching in the lectures is good- you also have access to the powerpoints online and the law school also records the lectures, so if you miss a few it's not too problematic. Personally, I find the Legal Foundations lectures quite boring, but the tutorials are challenging and interesting.
Funnily enough, none of my lectures actually take place in the Law Building- usually I'm in the Julian Hodge building, which is about 5 minutes away, but is really nice. We also have lectures in the student union, which isn't great as the seating is only temporary, and so moves around a lot. However, we do have tutorials and other events which take place in the law building, which does have really good facilities.
That's all I can think of for now, but feel free to ask any more questions! :hello:
Original post by 42wallabyway
I'm currently in my first year doing Law and Politics! You study 4 law modules (Criminal, Public, and Contract Law, and Legal Foundations) and then do one politics module each term (I did Political Thought last term and am doing Intro to Government this term). Therefore law is still your main subject, but you get to do Politics as well- joint course modules are shorter than if you do straight law, so you have the same modules but cover slightly fewer topics within each of them.
The teaching consists of 2 lectures per module per week, and then one tutorial for each module every 2 weeks. The teaching in the lectures is good- you also have access to the powerpoints online and the law school also records the lectures, so if you miss a few it's not too problematic. Personally, I find the Legal Foundations lectures quite boring, but the tutorials are challenging and interesting.
Funnily enough, none of my lectures actually take place in the Law Building- usually I'm in the Julian Hodge building, which is about 5 minutes away, but is really nice. We also have lectures in the student union, which isn't great as the seating is only temporary, and so moves around a lot. However, we do have tutorials and other events which take place in the law building, which does have really good facilities.
That's all I can think of for now, but feel free to ask any more questions! :hello:

Sorry for the late response! Thank you so much by the way, also I wanted to ask what grades did you get to get into the course and what is the lowest you know someone got but still got into the course?
Hi, I was interested in Law with Politics too but ended up applying for straight law in the end, but I was just wondering whether you knew of any flexibility in taking up extra modules at all, such as from Politics for example, which aren't part of your course?

Thanks a lot :biggrin:

Original post by 42wallabyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending