Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
Kingers
lol... well its far from parsons field :rolleyes:

Why on earth would that matter at all?
Reply 22
Heartbreaker
I personally wouldnt want to be at Butler, i feel that it lacks character, is too expensive, too far away and wouldnt want to self cater.

The character is building. Personally, I don't mind being self-catered (potato smilies and chicken nuggets ahoy), though I guess it's to each his own. But I still think the claims that Butler is 'miles away' are crazy - Collingwood is right next door (I can see it very clearly from my bedroom window) - and is set just as far back from the road.

Yes, it is a modern student accommodation facility - purpose-built, in fact. But as of next week, you're able to get into any block you like with your keys. Nice to have a bit of security on the shared spaces/kitchens, though, since we're keeping things like televisions and DVD players in there.

As for the price, that is an issue. In fact, Butler is probably the most 'rah' of the hill colleges, as far as I've seen. Which isn't too bad - rahs can be quite endearing.
Reply 23
Well, I'd personally say that most halls of residence are purpose built.
The not letting people into other blocks is, whilst good for security, really annoying as I've found out while spending time at Lancaster (which has a similar system) with my gf as it makes it inconvenient and annoying to visit friends who happen to live elsewhere.

Haha, rahs.
Reply 24
arkbar
Haha, rahs.

Another classic - damn TSR still won't let me rep you!

I don't seem to have met any rahs here, which is rather (ha ha, 'rah'ther) odd. Perhaps I just don't notice them? I know several privvies but they don't act/dress rah-ish and we just make a joke out of it.
Reply 25
Jelkin

I don't seem to have met any rahs here

If you are oblivious to the existence of rahs, then you must be a rah yourself :p:
Jelkin
Another classic - damn TSR still won't let me rep you!

I don't seem to have met any rahs here, which is rather (ha ha, 'rah'ther) odd. Perhaps I just don't notice them? I know several privvies but they don't act/dress rah-ish and we just make a joke out of it.

What's a privvy?
A privvy is usually an outdoors toilet, but in this case I think it means privately educated children.
Reply 28
6+6=6
yea, we at Butler are soo far away :rolleyes:

like not as far as Aidans and just opposite Mildert, two mins from Grey and Collingwood but still its soooo far away.

especially in the grand scheme of things when the town centre in like 20-30 mins from the hill colleges, 2 mins to Butler is like killer time, its like nearly 10% of the way to town. I mean thats just ghey, and the fact that we're next to the all-day £1 bus is like even more uber pain in the arse, like we might as well be at stockton

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

EDIT: and of course the en suite bathrooms and brand new facilities are no consolation AT ALL.

sorry mate but aidans is closer than butler (not by much i grant you) besides we at aidans are close to the prebends bridge so can get into town the quick way so yeah OP apply to aidans w00t
Reply 29
Mattmoy_2000
A privvy is usually an outdoors toilet, but in this case I think it means privately educated children.

Yeah, sorry - now that I think about it, it's probably a word used only by people on my floor.

Hmmm. I don't dress like a rah and I don't think I'm exceedingly posh, but perhaps I am. My bad!
Reply 30
Perhaps if you come from a place mentioned in Harry Potter you're a rah by default?
Reply 31
arkbar
Perhaps if you come from a place mentioned in Harry Potter you're a rah by default?

What! That just makes me a legend.
durhamdosser
Er, I'm the only one from Hatfield who really posts on here at all regularly

*waves* Hello, I post here as often as I can.:p:

For the Aidan's detractors, yes the steps are annoying and now that my boyfriend's left I won't have the long walk from Gilesgate to Aidan's but their formals are brilliant and watching the sunrise/sunset from Aidan's hill is amazing.

Mary's bar is rubbish it is also a little scary and off putting if you get lost in Mary's because of all the pipes by the bar it feels a little like a horror movie set.

There is no worse college in my mind!

Latest