The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I met a girl from a scary sounding school the other day. about 40 get in every year :frown: My school has a zero average. It makes me worry!
Reply 41
blissy
I think it'd be interesting to see where in the country the most/fewest applications come from because I think the Westcountry is hugely under-represented at Oxbridge.

Shropshire is not very well represented, although Shrewsbury High and Shrewsbury School boost our number of entrants fairly significantly!

My school (god, this story is getting old now) was a small mixed, fairly non-selective private school. There were about 60 in a year in 6th form (though it's got bigger now) and usually 1-3 people would apply and maybe 1 get in. In all my time there I've not known more than one person get in a year.
I think one from my school has been accepted.
Ever.

Then again, it's an underperforming school and it's only once in a blue moon that anyone applies. The fact that it's in Scotland and takes about seven hours by train to Oxford and about 5 to Cambridge adds to the matter.
Reply 43
Out of the topic: why does "once in a blue moon" stand for rarely?

Do we ever get a blue moon? Is that the point?
celeritas
Out of the topic: why does "once in a blue moon" stand for rarely?

Do we ever get a blue moon? Is that the point?

yes, there is a term "blue moon." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Moon

I'm still harboring a strong desire to run off and study Astronomy at Caltech or MIT. :p:

A year, my school gets 1 or 2 into Harvard, 1 or 2 into Stanford, and a few into the other Ivies, 8 or so into Berkeley, and a bunch into UCLA.
Reply 45
44 got places this year (2006). The most that ever got in was 51 (2004). I go to a very large state sixth form college.
Reply 46
2000 - 0
2001 - 0
2002 - 1
2003 - 0
2004 - 0
2005 - 0
2006 - 0
About 10 from my college get accepted each year, from a year group of around 1000 people. We normally have 30 to 40 applicants.
Reply 48
umm probably about 2
0 from mine
Well, we've got a 100% success record. Better than Eton and Harrow!

Though to be fair ours is based on one person, i.e. me, being the first and so far only person to apply in about 11 years. Although I'm going back and talking to other peopel and encouraging them to apply.
Last year was our schools best year for ages, with 3 people, before that it averaged 1/0 each year. We did have quite a few people apply though (at least 10, from a year of 100 people.)
Reply 52
a_t what school?
Reply 53
My school typically has 15-20 people applying, and around half usually get accepted.
Reply 54
Around 30 people apply and around 15 get in.
Reply 55
Helenia
Shropshire is not very well represented, although Shrewsbury High and Shrewsbury School boost our number of entrants fairly significantly!

My school (god, this story is getting old now) was a small mixed, fairly non-selective private school. There were about 60 in a year in 6th form (though it's got bigger now) and usually 1-3 people would apply and maybe 1 get in. In all my time there I've not known more than one person get in a year.

AGS have a sixth form of 120. We get 15 in almost every year. Out of 30 applicants, and taking into account we're a state school, its quite impressive.
Reply 56
:smile: Two girls got accepted to Oxford from my school to read History, however one of them didn't make it due to her not gaining the required grades. It was actually quite sad because she needed AAA and achieved AAB with the B so close to an A that it was unbelievable! She's at Warwick now, so not bad!!!:tsr2: :smile:
Reply 57
randeep
:smile: Two girls got accepted to Oxford from my school to read History, however one of them didn't make it due to her not gaining the required grades. It was actually quite sad because she needed AAA and achieved AAB with the B so close to an A that it was unbelievable! She's at Warwick now, so not bad!!!:tsr2: :smile:

OMG I feel so bad for her!!!! I would cry myself to death if I were her!
celeritas
OMG I feel so bad for her!!!! I would cry myself to death if I were her!

A little melodramatic I feel.
About 10 a year apply at my old school and 2 get in.

Latest

Trending

Trending