The Student Room Group

Police Force Question

I'm currently 18 and studying for A Levels. However, hopefully after doing a degree *Hoping I get the grades* I wish to join the police force. I've researched it well, and pretty much have the entry requirements sorted, aside from eyesight which I hope to get laser eye surgery for.

The problem is, I'm unsure of if they accept people with IBS. I've tried to find information regarding it, but have so far had no luck. I was just wondering if anyone here could help me out with an answer.

Many thanks!

Em xx
Reply 1
Don't think they would have any problem with IBS, it shouldnt affect your job after all. Read up on laser eye surgery though, most places want a certain time before accepting you.
Reply 2
Thanks. :smile: That's what I thought, but as I've been unable to find info... I wanted to double check. I found out about the laser eye surgery, it's 6 weeks. But... tis all a long way off anyways, so I have a chance to save the money by then!

xx
irritable bowel syndrome? Under the disability discrimination act i see no reason why it should bar you. All depends on your sick record really.
Reply 4
eyesight is a problem? :O aw, poo, and I wanted to join too after my degree.
Reply 5
Fragreaper, what sickeness record would that be? From say, university?

She, eyesight is only a problem if it's below a certain level. Like, if you can see to a certain line on the chart at the optician's then you're ok. But if you don't meet the requirements, like me, then you can go for laser eyesurgery, although you have to make sure it's one they accept.
Usually its from paid employment. As in education it's a bit different since you arnt paid to be there. From paid employment you cannot have been sick which caused you to miss work on more than 5 occaisions in the past 3 years.

On eyesight, you can have your eyes corrected by a force approved procedure and be elligible.
Reply 7
IBS can be a problem. From the Police Application Guide open beside me, it basically says that IBS is a condition that requires further investigation in your application but that applications will be considered full depending on the severity.

This book has about 10 pages going through all types of conditions.

[nb:the guide is not official and information should not be considered such]

Best to ask your force.
the following website is a good forum for police queries, has alot of regular and trainee police officers posting on it:

http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/

Latest

Trending

Trending