The Student Room Group

A paid internship with an unknown organization or an unpaid one with the U.N. ?

Which would You choose?

I’ll probably have enough to sustain myself for the duration of the unpaid internship but I’m wondering if it’s worth it. I mean they clearly state that we should not expect to be hired at the end of the internship nor are we eligible to apply for any position within the organization for a period of at least 3 to 6 months. And it's unpaid! I will be almost broke by the end of it.

There is no guarantee I’ll get hired by the other company either, but they have no such restrictions… And the internship is paid.

So which would You choose?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lexi42
Which would You choose?

I’ll probably have enough to sustain myself for the duration of the unpaid internship but I’m wondering if it’s worth it. I mean they clearly state that we should not expect to be hired at the end of the internship nor are we eligible to apply for any position within the organization for a period of at least 3 to 6 months.

There is no guarantee I’ll get hired by the other company either, but they don’t have such restrictions… And the internship is paid.

The paid one. There's little point in taking an internship if you are then ruled out of a job with the organisation, but then that's typical of UN logic. The name of an employer is only one small part of the package, what you actually did will count much more. At the end of the paid internship you will still have your savings and you will be in a stronger position to work for two organisations. If you took the UN internship you'd be poorer and have no chance of getting a job with the UN for 3-6 months and would be a stranger to the other organisation.
Original post by Lexi42
Which would You choose?

I’ll probably have enough to sustain myself for the duration of the unpaid internship but I’m wondering if it’s worth it. I mean they clearly state that we should not expect to be hired at the end of the internship nor are we eligible to apply for any position within the organization for a period of at least 3 to 6 months.

There is no guarantee I’ll get hired by the other company either, but they don’t have such restrictions… And the internship is paid.

The fact that the internship precludes you from even applying for a position later on defies logic... the paid internship is the obvious answer here.
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
The fact that the internship precludes you from even applying for a position later on defies logic... the paid internship is the obvious answer here.

The lady who hired me did mention that there are a few exceptions to this rule and we'll see how the internship goes.

So I guess it's a maybe in my case but yeah, I'm still not sure it's worth it.
Reply 4
Original post by Lexi42
nor are we eligible to apply for any position within the organization for a period of at least 3 to 6 months.

Harsh and a bit odd :confused:
Reply 5
Original post by threeportdrift
The name of an employer is only one small part of the package, what you actually did will count much more. At the end of the paid internship you will still have your savings and you will be in a stronger position to work for two organisations. If you took the UN internship you'd be poorer and have no chance of getting a job with the UN for 3-6 months and would be a stranger to the other organisation.

IMO and from my experience, the name of the employer does play a huge rule for one's future job applications. This is no KFC, this is the UN, but understandably, money is also important as well especially with this case since it's 3-6 months.
Id probably take the UN one! Its incredibly difficult to get a job there so will be very good for future applications, so what you miss out on a couple of months money, if it helps secure that great job at the end its worth it
I'd take the one with the best brand name - after all, internships are for experience, not money.
I would take the UN but of course it depends if you can support yourself. Note that lunch and travel expenses will probably be provided.
Both not guaranteeing a job...

With one you can say I worked at the UN

The other one you get money

I think money wins, what ever happens you still going to have some extra cash

I would probably still end up at the UN, it would be an amazing experience to say the least depending on exactly what you would be doing
Reply 10
Original post by scrotgrot
I would take the UN but of course it depends if you can support yourself. Note that lunch and travel expenses will probably be provided.

Nope. There was no mention of travel expenses being provided. All I got in my offer letter was a link to find apartments in the city.
Go with the UN. Brand name helps massively and will give you more value than anything else could.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The fact that the U.N. internship is unpaid doesn't exactly confer a positive estimation of your worth to them as a functionary, regardless of its notional 'prestige', and will reflect accordingly on your prospects elsewhere. So: unless you genuinely aspire to work at the U.N. in preference to any other potential avenue of salaried, professional employment, I personally wouldn't bother.
Reply 13
Alright guys. Thanks everyone for the feedback.
Original post by kka25
IMO and from my experience, the name of the employer does play a huge rule for one's future job applications. This is no KFC, this is the UN, but understandably, money is also important as well especially with this case since it's 3-6 months.

I agree, if OP can afford it, they should take the UN offer, sounds exciting as well.
Reply 15
You might get broke after finishing the internship with UN but you wont be broke once you show the experience on your CV on your next job that could increase you wage.
Also do have a look at what each internship offer and which most you want to learn or suit you then decide.
Original post by Lexi42
Which would You choose?

I’ll probably have enough to sustain myself for the duration of the unpaid internship but I’m wondering if it’s worth it. I mean they clearly state that we should not expect to be hired at the end of the internship nor are we eligible to apply for any position within the organization for a period of at least 3 to 6 months. And it's unpaid! I will be almost broke by the end of it.

There is no guarantee I’ll get hired by the other company either, but they have no such restrictions… And the internship is paid.

If you read the most recent articles in Forbes and The Atlantic, only 28% of internships (on average) transform into real jobs - and these are the paid internships. The unpaid internships have even a lower conversion rate. Think twice before as you say "you go broke".
Original post by mizzsnazzter
so what you miss out on a couple of months money, if it helps secure that great job at the end its worth it

really childish and spoiled way of looking at things. it is difficult to work for nothing if one is struggling to live with just their savings.

Original post by Mr Inquisitive
I'd take the one with the best brand name - after all, internships are for experience, not money.

Original post by will2348
Go with the UN. Brand name helps massively and will give you more value than anything else could.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Cazi7
You might get broke after finishing the internship with UN but you wont be broke once you show the experience on your CV on your next job that could increase you wage.
Also do have a look at what each internship offer and which most you want to learn or suit you then decide.

having UN in OP's CV means nothing. I had a 'prestigious' unpaid internship few years back and at that time I thought it would all be worth it because of the brand name. Fast forward to graduation and I found out that the internship meant nothing and did not really help me gain employment.

OP if you've got the chance to go for something paid then do it. It is still a good experience that can go on your CV and if you really want to you can always apply for a paid position in the UN later on.
Original post by Lexi42
Which would You choose?

The UN internship won't lead to anything unfortunately. Its better to go with the paid one, since it might actually lead to a position.
Original post by donutaud15

having UN in OP's CV means nothing. I had a 'prestigious' unpaid internship few years back and at that time I thought it would all be worth it because of the brand name. Fast forward to graduation and I found out that the internship meant nothing and did not really help me gain employment.

OP if you've got the chance to go for something paid then do it. It is still a good experience that can go on your CV and if you really want to you can always apply for a paid position in the UN later on.

What's your point here? That you didn't convert a prestigious unpaid internship into something, so therefore OP shouldn't try?

There's really no point in interning somewhere for the money. Having the UN on OP's CV will be infinitely better than an unnamed internship elsewhere. The point of an internship is for the experience, and what that experience can enable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending