The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Courses

I am looking to study Marketing with Public Relations and I was just wanting to know what people think of the course.
Hi Gabby, I'm a second year studying Marketing and PR at Huddersfield Uni. Are you still looking for info about the course?
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Original post by itsjustliam
Hi Gabby, I'm a second year studying Marketing and PR at Huddersfield Uni. Are you still looking for info about the course?

Hi,

Yeah I am just wanting more information on the course and what you think of it. I was an apprentice studying Marketing, Journalism and Public Relations and I really enjoyed it, but I am stuck between two courses. Marketing and PR at Huddersfield or Public Relations and Journalism at Leeds.
The first year of the course is a mix of two key marketing modules and two 'media' modules. The media modules are Journalism Principles & Practice and Media & Public Relations, so it includes all the things you said you enjoyed studying as an apprentice.

The second year is made up of three marketing modules and two media modules, with the media modules following on and expanding on the work you did in the first year.

It's a strange mix of disciplines, but the journalism part teaches you how to write better content, the PR part has you designing campaign plans and communication tools and the marketing modules cover all the essentials you need to become a successful marketer. You essentially get all the main parts of the marketing course, with an additional set of Journalism and PR skills that set you apart from the crowd.

I am most definitely happy with the course, and it seems perfect for someone with your background. I'm currently looking for a third year placement and there are lots of roles that combine marketing and pr or marketing and communications so I'm glad I took this route.

Of course i'm going to recommend you pick the course at Huddersfield Uni, it seems a waste to limit yourself to just PR and Journalism if you also have an interest in Marketing.

Let me know if you have any other questions (about the course or life in Hudds or anything else)

Cheers,
Liam
The first year of the course is a mix of two key marketing modules and two 'media' modules. The media modules are Journalism Principles & Practice and Media & Public Relations, so it includes all the things you said you enjoyed studying as an apprentice.

The second year is made up of three marketing modules and two media modules, with the media modules following on and expanding on the work you did in the first year.

It's a strange mix of disciplines, but the journalism part teaches you how to write better content, the PR part has you designing campaign plans and communication tools and the marketing modules cover all the essentials you need to become a successful marketer. You essentially get all the main parts of the marketing course, with an additional set of Journalism and PR skills that set you apart from the crowd.

I am most definitely happy with the course, and it seems perfect for someone with your background. I'm currently looking for a third year placement and there are lots of roles that combine marketing and pr or marketing and communications so I'm glad I took this route.

Of course i'm going to recommend you pick the course at Huddersfield Uni, it seems a waste to limit yourself to just PR and Journalism if you also have an interest in Marketing.

Let me know if you have any other questions (about the course or life in Hudds or anything else)

Cheers,
Liam

Hi Liam,

Thank you for your reply.
I am really interested in the course I'm just worried its going to be very business focused.

Do you find that with the course?

Where are you wanting to go for your placement?

Thank you
Gabby
There are business/economics aspects in the 1st year markets and marketing module, but I wouldn't call the course 'business focussed' at all. I've found that the creative journalism and PR modules break up the more academic marketing aspects really well.

As for placements, i'm looking at working in London or even abroad. Competition is more fierce for those placements than the more local roles, but if you're successful then the role is often be much more rewarding. (plus you get to travel)

If you are uncertain about the course, I would suggest thinking about what you intend to do after you graduate, and see if the marketing/business aspects come into play. I would say that everyone should have some knowledge of business and marketing, they are useful regardless of the career you choose (but obviously i'm slightly biased)
There are business/economics aspects in the 1st year markets and marketing module, but I wouldn't call the course 'business focussed' at all. I've found that the creative journalism and PR modules break up the more academic marketing aspects really well.

As for placements, i'm looking at working in London or even abroad. Competition is more fierce for those placements than the more local roles, but if you're successful then the role is often be much more rewarding. (plus you get to travel)

If you are uncertain about the course, I would suggest thinking about what you intend to do after you graduate, and see if the marketing/business aspects come into play. I would say that everyone should have some knowledge of business and marketing, they are useful regardless of the career you choose (but obviously i'm slightly biased)

Yes I agree, I think having the right knowledge surrounding a certain market is extremely important. As mentioned I have previously worked for a magazine which consisted of building relationships with new partners and making sure that their product/company was right for our audience, tailoring the ad to maximize business. This is something I really enjoyed and would look to doing in the future - working within a PR agency or for a certain brand/company.

Good luck for the placement, I hope you find something that you really want.

Thanks
Gabby

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending