The Student Room Group

Proof of address without a contract or any legal document?

Hi all,

I'm applying for the NHS bursary, I've got a place to study nursing at Birmingham and I can't go without the funding. I need to prove where I was living a few years ago but I have no evidence - I was renting a room in a lady's house, with cash, no contract, and she was quite elderly and not officially a landlady (I don't really know how it works.) My bank statements also weren't registered to that address as it was supposed to be temporary.

Is there any other way I can prove where I was living, or if I will be refused funding exclusively because I have no evidence? I can write to her and ask for a letter confirming I did live there, but I don't know if this counts as evidence. Any help greatly appreciated!
Original post by smutst
Hi all,

I'm applying for the NHS bursary, I've got a place to study nursing at Birmingham and I can't go without the funding. I need to prove where I was living a few years ago but I have no evidence - I was renting a room in a lady's house, with cash, no contract, and she was quite elderly and not officially a landlady (I don't really know how it works.) My bank statements also weren't registered to that address as it was supposed to be temporary.

Is there any other way I can prove where I was living, or if I will be refused funding exclusively because I have no evidence? I can write to her and ask for a letter confirming I did live there, but I don't know if this counts as evidence. Any help greatly appreciated!

You could try the council tax department - if you were named on the council tax bill (not even as the main payer, just named on the account) then they can send you a duplicate bill for the time you were living there.

Same for any of the utility companies.
Reply 2
Original post by askew116
You could try the council tax department - if you were named on the council tax bill (not even as the main payer, just named on the account) then they can send you a duplicate bill for the time you were living there.

Same for any of the utility companies.

Unfortunately I don't think I would've been named on the account, it was a very informal arrangement :frown:

Thanks though, if I do write to ask for a letter I'll mention this.

Quick Reply

Latest