The Student Room Group

Anyone done some sort of Internship abroad?

Hi all,

I am looking into possibly doing some sort of Internship in computing in America for about 10 weeks in the summer and was wondering has anyone had any experience in possibly doing this?

I dont know where to really get started because there are loads of sites out there but not many internships of my preference.

Any ideas or tips if anyone has done this?

Cheers
OTF :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

\o/\o/
Reply 2
Yes. Well Im leaving in a week for one! What do you want to know?
Reply 3
Just basically where to really get started :biggrin:

I just want to know like any tips or advice you can pass on to me and what to look out for

I would prefer a paid internship but im not too fussed.
Reply 4
Paid internships, particularly in the US are virtually unheard of. What area are you interested in? It might help! I know computing, but narrow it down if you can. (Mines political, so I dont know how much can help but will do my best.
Reply 5
Either computing or media is what i am really looking for.

I am trying to get it in California in possibly San Jose, San Francisco or LA. But if this cant be done then New York City as i have family, so either place would be great.

How long is your internship for and are you paying to do it?
Reply 6
Mine is as long as I want it really, but Im going for 3 months to begin with, may go back later depending on if I can afford it.

www.internjobs.com is probably your best bet.
Reply 7
How much do you reckon you have to folk out for a 10 week internship roughly?
Reply 8
Depends entirely on where you are living. In the centre of DC im paying about £550 a month for accomodation alone. In New York, probably the same. Other places could be less expensive. If you choose to live further out it would be less. And you can live on beans on toast or live a little. Its entirely up to you!
Reply 9
There are some internships which provide you like accomedation and food etc, is it better to avoid them as they a charge a fortune
Reply 10
I organised all of mine completely independently. My house was organised separately and Im essentially living by myself. In some ways thats better because its unrelated to the job, if something happens I dont lose the house. However if you cant be bothered to do that by yourself pay someone, although yes, they will charge you a fortune.
Reply 11
Did you have to get a visa to do the internship? Or does that not matter because it's unpaid? What does your job entail?
Reply 12
That website looks a bit dodgy. Or is it just me?
Reply 13
Its just you. You contact the people directly not thru the website so its entirely up to your own discretion. I have my senator's personal email address and now use that.

I don't have a visa because am going for 89 days (the maximum is 90) and I have been told I don't need one. However some schemes do require you to have an intern/student visa. The person you are working for will know all about it.

Latest

Trending

Trending