The Student Room Group

What are my chances, UCL?

I'm going to be applying for medicine 2016 entry soon and am concerned about my university choices.

I have 2 A*s 6 As and 3 Bs at GCSE which although aren't that bad, don't seem at all credit worthy in comparison to all other aspiring medic's GCSEs.
I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Maths for AS and am predicted 3 As and and a B in Maths.

Are these grades enough for UCL?

It's going to be my top choice, most likely Imperial 2nd.
This is all assuming my personal statement will be decent (have been cramming in volunteering, some WEX, music grades, D of E, ten tors, etc. so hopefully aha).

Any opinions would be appreciated, cheers :smile:
You should try reading their entry requirements...
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/entry-requirements/entry2015.pdf

"Our standard conditional offer for 2015 entry: grades A*AA at A-level to include Chemistry and Biology (with the A* grade being in either Chemistry or Biology), plus a pass grade in an additional fourth subject to at least AS-level."

UCL are also pretty keen on the BMAT. A good BMAT score used to guarantee you an interview, I'm not sure if it does now but I'm sure you can find it written somewhere.
Reply 2
op1
OP
Original post by seaholme
You should try reading their entry requirements...
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/undergraduate/mbbs-admissions/entry-requirements/entry2015.pdf

"Our standard conditional offer for 2015 entry: grades A*AA at A-level to include Chemistry and Biology (with the A* grade being in either Chemistry or Biology), plus a pass grade in an additional fourth subject to at least AS-level."

UCL are also pretty keen on the BMAT. A good BMAT score used to guarantee you an interview, I'm not sure if it does now but I'm sure you can find it written somewhere.

Have read many times, but not unlike others, it mentions little about how weighted each aspect of one's application is.

Good to know about BMAT though, cheers! :smile:
Original post by op1
Have read many times, but not unlike others, it mentions little about how weighted each aspect of one's application is.

Good to know about BMAT though, cheers! :smile:

Well the only things they weight are what they put out there. There are no secrets!! They like people with a non-traditional extra subject, and they actually say that. I don't know if Psychology is really that much of a contrasting subject, but it's not one of the 4 they list as the traditional ones. The reason I quoted it is because it seems you're already outside the standard offer - they're asking for A*AA and you've got AAA.

It's a competitive course so really you want A*AA. If you miss one of their stated requirements or standards, then there's no secret weighting to that, it's out there on paper.

But maybe you've got better predicted overall A2 results. They generally use the easiest possible route to selection, which means that reading your personal statement would take them hours whereas excluding you on the basis of insufficient A Levels, insufficient BMAT score or if everybody has good enough A Levels and BMAT then discriminating on the basis of a contrasting subject. Then probably read the Personal Statements after they've excluded as many applications as they can without taking up hours and hours of time. That's just my guess but I think it's quite logical.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
op1
OP
Original post by seaholme
Well the only things they weight are what they put out there. There are no secrets!! They like people with a non-traditional extra subject, and they actually say that. I don't know if Psychology is really that much of a contrasting subject, but it's not one of the 4 they list as the traditional ones. The reason I quoted it is because it seems you're already outside the standard offer - they're asking for A*AA and you've got AAA.

It's a competitive course so really you want A*AA. If you miss one of their stated requirements or standards, then there's no secret weighting to that, it's out there on paper.

But maybe you've got better predicted overall A2 results. They generally use the easiest possible route to selection, which means that reading your personal statement would take them hours whereas excluding you on the basis of insufficient A Levels, insufficient BMAT score or if everybody has good enough A Levels and BMAT then discriminating on the basis of a contrasting subject. Then probably read the Personal Statements after they've excluded as many applications as they can without taking up hours and hours of time. That's just my guess but I think it's quite logical.

Aye okay, worth asking as talking to people who've got in to Exeter say that they look especially highly on extracurricular activities, etc.

Sorry, slight misunderstanding, those are my AS level target grades, we're given no option of an A* prediction for AS. My overall A level grades / A2 grades haven't been predicted yet, but (given that I pull through in the next few weeks) I am hoping for A or A* Psychology A* Chemistry and A Biology predictions.

That does sound logical, BMAT is the next challenge then. Would be brilliant if Psychology does count as a contrasting subject as I am no way carrying on with maths..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending