The Student Room Group

Why have men stopped lifting weights?

I was just reading another thread about someone liking someone else who was wearing a headscarf. I thought why have men stopped lifting weights?

They make men look like Zyzz, have better arms and better ass. So men why not take the fake tan off your bodies and discard the hair gel and get swole.

Also get rid of your skinny jeans and put on a nice pair of shorts.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's usually the "gym bros" who wear skinny jeans, fake tan and too much hair jel.

Your post doesn't make any sense
Reply 2
Original post by Zander01
It's usually the "gym bros" who wear skinny jeans, fake tan and too much hair jel.

Your post doesn't make any sense

Men who do leg day can't fit into skinnies a lot of the time.
Men do still lift weights.
Why did men start lifting weights?

But, yeah, pretty sure plenty of us still lift. I haven't for a bit due to work, but will probably go tomorrow.
Well I don't wear skinny jeans... but I wear properly fitting jeans but that's mostly because I'm short and shorts, coincidentally make me look even shorter than I already am.

Don't see why men shouldn't care about their own beauty regimes, hair, make-up, fashion AND lift and be physical specimens too.
Cant speak for every guy but ive never really gone to the gym because i value an education&a decent job more than massive muscles.. (not that gym addicts cant get good jobs). Also on your point about shorts and tshirts etc i think i 'suit' a suit better, if you see what i did there :wink:
My thoughts exactly. I do weights as I have a home multi gym and bar weights. Most people don't have room though or the money, other people like doing it with other people rather then by themselves. I never wear hair gel or jeans. Also never even thought of fake tan. It seems to me that today's fashion is meant to make man look like women and women look like men.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Lisagurlxx
Men who do leg day can't fit into skinnies a lot of the time.

Amen brother! I got a lecture from a guy friend about skinny jeans being fashion and I explained to him that Skinnies don't come in my size and I'll look like a fat girl in tights. I would rather wear track pants or sweat pants than crush my ball sack in skinny jeans, and I do, actually think I am pretty fashionable in the casual sense.

Original post by jackpethick
Cant speak for every guy but ive never really gone to the gym because i value an education&a decent job more than massive muscles.. (not that gym addicts cant get good jobs). Also on your point about shorts and tshirts etc i think i 'suit' a suit better, if you see what i did there :wink:

Bit of a stereotype perception of gym addicts. Yes their is that whole "Georgie Shore" crowd that just want to get big, but I was absolutely rotten at any sport in school but grew up to be a big guy, and not to take advantage of a genetic ability to lift heavy things and get huge is the process. This is my sport and I'l LOVE to compete if I wasn't injured. But at the same time I'm in Top 10 University doing a Engineering degree. Perhaps my suits may fit a little tighter but I clearly achieve my goals and ambitions.
Original post by Anonymous
Amen brother! I got a lecture from a guy friend about skinny jeans being fashion and I explained to him that Skinnies don't come in my size and I'll look like a fat girl in tights. I would rather wear track pants or sweat pants than crush my ball sack in skinny jeans, and I do, actually think I am pretty fashionable in the casual sense.

Bit of a stereotype perception of gym addicts. Yes their is that whole "Georgie Shore" crowd that just want to get big, but I was absolutely rotten at any sport in school but grew up to be a big guy, and not to take advantage of a genetic ability to lift heavy things and get huge is the process. This is my sport and I'l LOVE to compete if I wasn't injured. But at the same time I'm in Top 10 University doing a Engineering degree. Perhaps my suits may fit a little tighter but I clearly achieve my goals and ambitions.

Get slim-fit rather than skinny jeans... I have huge legs but they work for me and they make me look soooooooooooooooo much better than when I wear baggy ****. Granted, that's because I'm a 5'5 dwarf with huge legs but there you go.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous

I did put in brackets that it doesn't mean they can't.. My point was clearly exaggerated but the logic is there
I thought lifting weights was in vogue.

You can't go five minutes without meeting some guy who believes lifting in an air conditioned gym and slurping a protein shake constitutes an achievement.
I actually think more people are into lifting now than ever before, more females are definitely lifting
I don't really understand how you got from some guy liking headscarfs to lifting weights? But sure.

I know loads of guys who lift, whether there are more or less guys lifting than their used to be I can't comment.
I think gym use (certainly 'lifting') is on the increase. The concept of a 'bro' is only a generation or so old, wasn't really such a thing in our parents generation.
I am kind of chasing the 'Geordie shore' image (not personality) but I respect those who train for the numbers.
Reply 15
Original post by SophieSmall
I don't really understand how you got from some guy liking headscarfs to lifting weights? But sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd6F3a8Frm8
Reply 16
Original post by yo radical one
Men do still lift weights.

You're perfect :blushing:
Original post by Dinaa
You're perfect :blushing:

and you are perfect for me.
Reply 18
Original post by yo radical one
and you are perfect for me.

:lovehug:
Reply 19
People need to quit calling anyone who 'lifts' gym addicts. An hour a day doing something you love doesn't make you an addict,

Quick Reply

Latest