The Student Room Group
Hey Mel,

not sure I can offer much assistance but I recently applied for a hotel receptionist job and had to re-write my cover letter! I got a friend to help, and she told me that in order to improve it, I had to reduce it (I tend to ramble :redface: Bad habit, must stop), get to the point and be postive.

That was pretty much it :smile: Two weeks later I got the job :cool: Before that I was having less success with my resume + cover letter.

Try that and see if it works for you, I wish you the best of luck. Btw you do realise they don't actually employ you for sometime unless they state 'to start immediately' !

I don't start my job until early February. In the mean time I have to cut it as a waitress and promotional model, but it's not all that bad. Just less constant :| Lol.
Reply 2
Before you can focus on selling yourself you first need to try and see what the company is looking for in their employees and what is their area of expertise. You need to see what they want and the only way u can do this is by putting urself in their perspective. For example, if i was applying for a job, say at a criminal law firm, I'd firstly consider what sort of skills I have that they despearately need. For me, I'd sell the point that I'm very good team worker and back this up by at least 1 or 2 peices of evidence. I'd then go on to summarise why I believe having good teamwork skills will benifit the firm.

So to summarise, begin with something that the company desperately desires. So in your instance, the fact that its the biggest company in your area, means you can talk about your international business degree as allowing you to research in depth the impact of international factors on businesses. Give examples.....and then relate them to the particular company.

In terms of your skills Im sure you have various things like teamworking, communication, writing skills etc that the company might be interested in. It's your job to really highlight those factors that could really interest the company.

I can't really give you much more advice unless you are more specific about the nature of the company and the sort of things you've done that may stand you out.

Good luck and remember the key is to think about what, for that company, will make an applicant stand out and then to taylor your cover letter to this.
Reply 3
The-Lennon
park in the managing directors car space..... leave your cv taped to the window.

,ololol u Joker but why do you have sooo much BAD rep :s-smilie::s-smilie: ?!?1
Reply 4
MeLaNiE
Hi, I'm currently writing a cover letter to the biggest company in my area, but i'm finding a hard time to sell myself. I could always put I am very good at... but i want to stand out from everyone else, any one got any ideas how i can write about myself without repeating I am over and over again.

I am doing an international business degree at MMU, if that helps!

lolol maybe just start talking to random people on the street that will build up your confidience
Lethal

Good luck and remember the key is to think about what, for that company, will make an applicant stand out and then to taylor your cover letter to this.

But that can be hard though, because they might not make it obvious :p: I tried that for a museum job and it didn't work :\
Reply 6
Lie.
Reply 7
goodmen
Lie.

idiot.
Reply 8
Everyone lies on their CV, except you obviously because your a member of the moral police.
Reply 9
Your going to lie and then when they ask you questions in the interview your going to stutter, is that what your going to do?

Have a look at this thread: "I don't want to lie to get a job... But should I?" in the careers page.
Reply 10
Write everything you've done over the last decade. From the Present to the Past list everything. See if you've done anything that no one else has. Use this.

Also look deep inside your self and come up with an inspirational statment. something about wanting to achieve as much as you possibly can in life, we don't have much time on this planet to achieve therefore i have a drive and a passion to succeed. With this job i hope to achieve all i can.

Latest

Trending

Trending