The Student Room Group

Maths Exams 2015 - Securing the 90%

So, I've had my first 3 exams, two of which were Edexcel Maths/F maths ones and I'm completely shocked. Last year was the first time I think Edexcel really pulled up the standard and I knew they would do it again but it seems no matter how much I do, I'm still not sure of getting 90%. The S3 exam today was a prime example - did all the past papers and International exams yet still found it very hard and probably came out with a C. To get my Maths and F Maths A* I can't afford for this to happen again.

So my question goes out to those who do well on these 'new' type papers, how do you prepare?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by V0ldemort17
So, I've had my first 3 exams, two of which were Edexcel Maths/F maths ones and I'm completely shocked. Last year was the first time I think Edexcel really pulled up the standard and I knew they would do it again but it seems no matter how much I do, I'm still not sure of getting 90%. The S3 exam today was a prime example - did all the past papers and International exams yet still found it very hard and probably came out with a C. To get my Maths and F Maths A* I can't afford for this to happen again.

So my question goes out to those who do well on these 'new' type papers, how do you prepare?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Understanding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
These new paper's are getting ridiculous.
Reply 4
Original post by WhoDaresWins
These new paper's are getting ridiculous.

I agree. I understand that some questions do have to have levels of difficulty but these new papers have difficult parts in all questions and make it impossible for someone who has been prepared extremely well to get an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most people who believe they are A* students will probably revise for the Maths exams by doing countless past papers so they become used to the types of questions and methods required. In previous years this would have helped reach an A* but this year, as has been shown in both M3 and S3, in order to get an A* (losing 6/7 marks maximum in a paper), you actually require an understanding of the content and why you are doing what you are doing. Of course, further maths students should be learning the theory behind the content and not just enough to pass the exam but clearly people are not prepared for these questions that require them to think.

Its a bit kate now but dont just do past papers...learn why the content works.
Reply 6
Original post by adamjhodg
Most people who believe they are A* students will probably revise for the Maths exams by doing countless past papers so they become used to the types of questions and methods required. In previous years this would have helped reach an A* but this year, as has been shown in both M3 and S3, in order to get an A* (losing 6/7 marks maximum in a paper), you actually require an understanding of the content and why you are doing what you are doing. Of course, further maths students should be learning the theory behind the content and not just enough to pass the exam but clearly people are not prepared for these questions that require them to think.

Its a bit kate now but dont just do past papers...learn why the content works.

Did you do fp2 by any chance? How would you suggest 90 in this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Did you do fp2 by any chance? How would you suggest 90 in this?

I'm doing FP2 too and I find it much harder to 'understand' than S3 or S4. Like, if they have any weird questions on first/second order differential equations I think I'd totally flop; I can do the standard methods and all the questions in the textbook just fine though.
Reply 8
This is no GSCE!

You cannot learn purely by rote.
You have to train your brain.
the amount of practice required typically for Maths is way too high compared with other subjects.

Here is a fact
Most students pick A level maths because they think they do not have to work (like they did not have to work at GCSE)
Original post by dhamm
I'm doing FP2 too and I find it much harder to 'understand' than S3 or S4. Like, if they have any weird questions on first/second order differential equations I think I'd totally flop; I can do the standard methods and all the questions in the textbook just fine though.

Look at the proofs for how PI and CF come around. That should help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
This is no GSCE!

You cannot learn purely by rote.
You have to train your brain.
the amount of practice required typically for Maths is way too high compared with other subjects.

Here is a fact
Most students pick A level maths because they think they do not have to work (like they did not have to work at GCSE)

I am in complete agreement! I did all the past papers from 2005 and solomans and IALs. I thought I had a pretty damn good understanding of the concept behind topics but that s3 exam was just immense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I am in complete agreement! I did all the past papers from 2005 and solomans and IALs. I thought I had a pretty damn good understanding of the concept behind topics but that s3 exam was just immense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

maybe your exam technique/nerves ...
Original post by TeeEm
maybe your exam technique/nerves ...

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13

then this leaves that you needed more practice than you put in ...
Original post by TeeEm
then this leaves that you needed more practice than you put in ...

Are you a teacher?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Are you a teacher?

Posted from TSR Mobile

kind of
Original post by TeeEm
kind of

Your page states that you did a Maths degree. What university did you go to if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Your page states that you did a Maths degree. What university did you go to if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

UCL
Original post by TeeEm
UCL

Ah ok, you must be very intelligent then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Ah ok, you must be very intelligent then!

Posted from TSR Mobile

intelligent?

no

hard working?

absolutely!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending