The Student Room Group

I'm kinda sick of the way men are expected to "entertain"

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by louieee
I believe he lacks awareness all together and that he spews poison and he's the embodiment of all that's wrong with the modern man.

Attachment not found
All true. I don't particularly want it to change. I just want to change the whole "oh, men have it easy women have it sooo hard" narrative. YEs women have to face bs like getting catcalled. But the troubles of men are real and they're pretty invisible.
Original post by Shadez
x

not in the mood for an argument dude so just don't yeah?
Original post by louieee
not in the mood for an argument dude so just don't yeah?

Don't accuse people of being sexist then for no reason at all.
-sigh-

And where do these expectations come from in the first place, I wonder?

They initially stem from sexism and the idea that women are the silent, but pretty creatures who hang off of your arm.

'all they are expected to do is be attractive'- this is about the only legitimate point in your post, OP. Believe me when I say I feel a whole lot of pressure to look attractive for fear of being considered a worthless member of society if I don't. It's hard. And it is downright hurtful at times.

I don't want men to have to feel as though they have to be funny to get a girlfriend. I don't want girls to base their worth on how attractive they are and feel as though they have to laugh at men's jokes. I want everyone to act and dress how they damn well want and fancy who they want.
Original post by JAndrade1
I actually like hairy, larger, down to earth type guys. Its a preference tbf.

aw man, I just cannot catch a break!
Original post by jshep000
Don't accuse people of being sexist then for no reason at all.

everything you said is a reason babe
Original post by louieee
everything you said is a reason babe

What did I say then.... LOL.
What did I say then.... LOL.

can you not read :s
Original post by louieee
can you not read :s

Nope I guess not, care to explain for me
Nope I guess not, care to explain for me

omgoodness you're relentless
Original post by louieee
omgoodness you're relentless

:u: Hahaha sorry I'll stop now, if you're already annoyed I don't want to make you more annoyed
:u: Hahaha sorry I'll stop now, if you're already annoyed I don't want to make you more annoyed

tbh I don't think I could converse with you when you're being so emotional anyways
Original post by JAndrade1
LOL, oh man. Dying right now tbh. Women are just expected to be attractive. Not true obviously, but let's address that.

What goes into beauty?
1. Hair removal - are men expected to wax, shave, nair and pluck ALL the hair below the neck? Do you know how painful and time consuming that is?

2. Hair styles - I went to the hair dresser 2 days ago. Cost me $125.00. A man can get his hair cut for under $20.00. How much time does the average man spend fixing his hair? Mine takes about 1 hour every morning.

3. Makeup - Firstly, its not cheap, look at any brand name cosmetic site. It also takes a lot of time and practice to master - its almost an Art to do a skilled cats eye.

4. Clothes - Do you think guys like frumpy, no fashion sense having girls. There is constant pressure to look fashionable, sexy but not slutty. Almost impossible. And how many men walk around in 6inch heels? Not straight ones.

5. Body image - Dont be fat girls, men hate fatties. Dont be twigs girls, men like ass and tits. Spend hours at the gym trimming your waist and firming those thighs.

And these are just the basics. So excuse me if on the first date i would like stimulating conversation and dinner.

0) : no, women aren't expected to be attractive; you guys place that on yourself due to competition with your friends because you want to attract the buffest guys in the club; and due to all the social media outlet that states that you 'must buy the latest makeup kit'; as the media states that, by buying all the makeup kits or eye shadow; a guys would be more attracted to you. and like a pack of fools, you all fall for it.

1) 'are men expected to wax, shave, nair and pluck ALL the hair below the neck?' < no. albeit, women aren't either; you place this on yourselves through the media telling you that guys don't like hairy girls. besides, reverse the roles and lets see if you can confidently tell me you'd APPROACH a hairy guy - with hair all down his back - a cousin to chewbacca.

2) ' I went to the hair dresser 2 days ago. Cost me $125.00. A man can get his hair cut for under $20.00.' < yes, because: you pay to have your hair styled, highlighted, dyed and the like. guys don't pay that amount, because they don't pay to have their hair styled and the like. you could easily waltz into the barber shop and get a hair cut if you wanted to you know; there are no rules that state otherwise.

3) 'Makeup - Firstly, its not cheap, look at any brand name cosmetic site. It also takes a lot of time and practice to master - its almost an Art to do a skilled cats eye.' < see, this is the one thing i Hate about female preparation. Nobody tells you to put on makeup. you do that. of your own accord. because of inspiration and instructions from the 'daily mail' and all the other magazines who tell you to put on makeup. guys prefer natural beauty; no one wants to wake up to a gollem in the morning. and the answer to that? you guys force yourself to wear make up; so that you can attract the buffest guy in the club and because the magazines told you to do so. you bring this on yourself.

4) 'Clothes - Do you think guys like frumpy, no fashion sense having girls. There is constant pressure to look fashionable, sexy but not slutty. Almost impossible. And how many men walk around in 6inch heels? Not straight ones.' << for this, two parts:

a) guys do not care about fashion for them to start dressing themselves properly, let alone to reject girls who aren't fashionably dressed.

b) again, you get this drivel from the magazines. most guys would be happy with a girl who looked decent (any interpretation). therefore, as a species, you females force yoursef to buy the 6-inch heels and the like so as you in your mind, can attract the buffest guy in the club; because daily mail and all the other magazines told you it would work.

5) 'Body image - Dont be fat girls, men hate fatties. Dont be twigs girls, men like ass and tits. Spend hours at the gym trimming your waist and firming those thighs.' << do women not like and actively state that a guy must be well-built? do women not swoon on every advert that comes on that shows a guys built body (e.g. the coke advert when the guy took off his shirt; or any of david beckhams' adverts; e.t.c)? this point goes both ways. both sexes demand that the other be physically fit. no one has it worse.

you're also forgetting that, in addition to the above; girls then place ridiculous standards for guys to obtain and violently mock, ridicule and belittle all the guys that do not obtain these standards (believe me they do, i've been in several of those 'girlfriends/besties chats'):
1) he wasn't 6foot.
2) he wasn't funny.
3) charming. didn't open the door.
4) didn't initiate the conversation/pay for the meal.
5) didn't keep the convo going.
6) wasn't popular for me to be interested.
7) he wasn't rich/didn't drive a huge car/house/didn't take me to an expensive restaurant.
8) e.t.c

i dare you to find actual standards that have been placed on women in human to human interactions - if you can.

for example, if he wasn't 6 foot and a girl likes 6 foot guys; she'd usually be like (to her friends): 'Omg, this short guy was hitting on me today; obviously forgot that he isn't entitled to the goods on the 'top shelf'.

or 'omg guys, he wasn't funny and din't try to like keep the convo going. hawwkkwarrdd!!'.
Original post by louieee
tbh I don't think I could converse with you when you're being so emotional anyways

So you want me to annoy you more then?? Not emotional in the slightest, I'm a Vulcan
Omg I'm a girl and I agree with you so much! I see a so many girls like that - yeah they have a pretty face but there's nothing inside :/ it's probably to do with all the films they watched as kids...
How the only things that princesses had to do was look pretty, and the prince had to slay a dragon for her affection and what not.
Hope you find someone decent though! I know how you feel
So you want me to annoy you more then?? Not emotional in the slightest, I'm a Vulcan

it's 2am and instead of jerking off I'm fruitlessly responding to you with mindless nothingness yay
Original post by EllieC130
Lol well I'm getting sick of some blokes complaining about how life is so damn difficult for them. Seriously life could be so much worse for a lot of you. I'm not saying women have it so much worse; I honestly think we have an equal amount of problems at present, not that having problems is a good thing. But the way some people on here talk you'd think men live llike they do on the Wicker Man island. But I digress. Here's how it is with me guys- I just need the guy to approach me. If we talk and you find me boring or vice versa then sod off. You don't HAVE to do these things you're apparently expected to do.

...why can't you approach them...
I'm actually laughing SO hard at this. I wont invalidate your argument, but ask yourself - where did these adverts come from? Where do beauty standards stem?

You seem to go on and on about "buff" guys in clubs and tbh i dont think you've ever been to one. The women you are describing are a marginal group. Shallow and vain - there are men like that too. "Oh, bro this bitch came up to me in the club but she had NO ass, hard pass on that."

At the end of the day there are expectations on both sexes. If you feel jaded because you dont think you reach those expectations then aim lower. Not every guy can have a hot girl, amd not every girl can have a rich guy.

Original post by theDanIdentity
0) : no, women aren't expected to be attractive; you guys place that on yourself due to competition with your friends because you want to attract the buffest guys in the club; and due to all the social media outlet that states that you 'must buy the latest makeup kit'; as the media states that, by buying all the makeup kits or eye shadow; a guys would be more attracted to you. and like a pack of fools, you all fall for it.

1) 'are men expected to wax, shave, nair and pluck ALL the hair below the neck?' < no. albeit, women aren't either; you place this on yourselves through the media telling you that guys don't like hairy girls. besides, reverse the roles and lets see if you can confidently tell me you'd APPROACH a hairy guy - with hair all down his back - a cousin to chewbacca.

2) ' I went to the hair dresser 2 days ago. Cost me $125.00. A man can get his hair cut for under $20.00.' < yes, because: you pay to have your hair styled, highlighted, dyed and the like. guys don't pay that amount, because they don't pay to have their hair styled and the like. you could easily waltz into the barber shop and get a hair cut if you wanted to you know; there are no rules that state otherwise.

3) 'Makeup - Firstly, its not cheap, look at any brand name cosmetic site. It also takes a lot of time and practice to master - its almost an Art to do a skilled cats eye.' < see, this is the one thing i Hate about female preparation. Nobody tells you to put on makeup. you do that. of your own accord. because of inspiration and instructions from the 'daily mail' and all the other magazines who tell you to put on makeup. guys prefer natural beauty; no one wants to wake up to a gollem in the morning. and the answer to that? you guys force yourself to wear make up; so that you can attract the buffest guy in the club and because the magazines told you to do so. you bring this on yourself.

4) 'Clothes - Do you think guys like frumpy, no fashion sense having girls. There is constant pressure to look fashionable, sexy but not slutty. Almost impossible. And how many men walk around in 6inch heels? Not straight ones.' << for this, two parts:

a) guys do not care about fashion for them to start dressing themselves properly, let alone to reject girls who aren't fashionably dressed.

b) again, you get this drivel from the magazines. most guys would be happy with a girl who looked decent (any interpretation). therefore, as a species, you females force yoursef to buy the 6-inch heels and the like so as you in your mind, can attract the buffest guy in the club; because daily mail and all the other magazines told you it would work.

5) 'Body image - Dont be fat girls, men hate fatties. Dont be twigs girls, men like ass and tits. Spend hours at the gym trimming your waist and firming those thighs.' << do women not like and actively state that a guy must be well-built? do women not swoon on every advert that comes on that shows a guys built body (e.g. the coke advert when the guy took off his shirt; or any of david beckhams' adverts; e.t.c)? this point goes both ways. both sexes demand that the other be physically fit. no one has it worse.

you're also forgetting that, in addition to the above; girls then place ridiculous standards for guys to obtain and violently mock, ridicule and belittle all the guys that do not obtain these standards (believe me they do, i've been in several of those 'girlfriends/besties chats':wink::
1) he wasn't 6foot.
2) he wasn't funny.
3) charming. didn't open the door.
4) didn't initiate the conversation/pay for the meal.
5) didn't keep the convo going.
6) wasn't popular for me to be interested.
7) he wasn't rich/didn't drive a huge car/house/didn't take me to an expensive restaurant.
8) e.t.c

i dare you to find actual standards that have been placed on women in human to human interactions - if you can.

for example, if he wasn't 6 foot and a girl likes 6 foot guys; she'd usually be like (to her friends): 'Omg, this short guy was hitting on me today; obviously forgot that he isn't entitled to the goods on the 'top shelf'.

or 'omg guys, he wasn't funny and din't try to like keep the convo going. hawwkkwarrdd!!'.
Original post by louieee
it's 2am and instead of jerking off I'm fruitlessly responding to you with mindless nothingness yay

LMAOO. Let's stop replying so we can each do our own business if u feel me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending