The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Hmm...

I'd rather some absinthe and some opium, myself.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I had some absinthe the other night, it tasted absolutely foul but I have a hatred of that 'aniseed' taste. The fumes are good though :biggrin:
DannyBoy123
I had some absinthe the other night, it tasted absolutely foul but I have a hatred of that 'aniseed' taste. The fumes are good though :biggrin:

I love it. It's my warming comfort on a Winter Eve.

Perhaps you didn't prepare it correctly.
It was prepared properly, one of my friends claims to be quite the expert at least anyway; my other two friends both loved it. Unfortunately the taste is the same as a medicine I had as a child that induced vomiting and since then even the smell makes me feel ill...
OP, you have almost certainly been accepted, though in rare cases rejections can happen after that stage. Then you have to meet the offer :wink:
Reply 185
Hopping Mad Kangaroo
Then you have to meet the offer :wink:

probably...
it depends on what subject you're applying for really :smile:
Aula
probably...
it depends on what subject you're applying for really :smile:

:laugh: To be fair you were only a couple of points short, so you pretty much met it. :smile: Plus you got to be in a better college :p:
Reply 187
They could have said that I was two grades short. I have discovered that there's at least on other person with the same grades as me, though their offer was BB in specific subjects.
and possibly, I can't really say it's better than Josephine Butler, because I don't know what it would have been like to go there.
Reply 188
Very very occasionally your application will be passed to a college (ie accepted for the course) but there will be no accomodation left and you will be rejected by default. This only hapens in a tiny number of cases and usually towards the end of the cycle as colleges are filling up. Therfore unless track is lying (wouldnt want to comment on the relaibility of this) then you should be cautiously confident of recieveing an offer from Durham.
If Durham changed my status to conditional on UCAS track does that mean i've got an offer? they have not contacted me about conditional grades or anything like that?
rachelcee
If Durham changed my status to conditional on UCAS track does that mean i've got an offer? they have not contacted me about conditional grades or anything like that?

yes, congrats.

You need to click the course number (the red code), and it will tell you what grades you need.
Reply 191
Woo my Track just got updated with an offer :-D

AAB for Engineering at Durham, St Johns :-D

So, #1Genius, unless your college is somehow full, I'd expect an offer pretty soon.
Fointy

So, #1Genius, unless your college is somehow full, I'd expect an offer pretty soon.

Awesome! Thanks and well done :biggrin:
Reply 193
Lychee
Very very occasionally your application will be passed to a college (ie accepted for the course) but there will be no accomodation left and you will be rejected by default. This only hapens in a tiny number of cases and usually towards the end of the cycle as colleges are filling up. Therfore unless track is lying (wouldnt want to comment on the relaibility of this) then you should be cautiously confident of recieveing an offer from Durham.

Technically, I can't see how this would happen. Each department has a maximum limit of students that they can accept, and each college has a maximum number of rooms available. Then of course they will accept more people than they can take, based on estimates of how many will not meet the entry requirements.

All department maximums must = all college maximum rooms + extra to compensate for those missing grades.

So really, there should always be enough accomodation. I would say there's more of a chance of track being wrong simply through human/technical error than actually being a lack of accomodation. Especially considering that much of the time colleges have some spare rooms.
Reply 194
Fointy

w00t! Well done! :biggrin: :congrats:
Reply 195
Got a letter just now from Durham. Turns out I was pooled into St Mary's College. Not to try and sound too ungrateful about getting an offer, but I'm actually pretty saddened by that. I really liked St John's and I know nothing about St Mary's apart from it was very recently 100% girls. Which I don't think sounds too great. :frown:
Fointy
Got a letter just now from Durham. Turns out I was pooled into St Mary's College. Not to try and sound too ungrateful about getting an offer, but I'm actually pretty saddened by that. I really liked St John's and I know nothing about St Mary's apart from it was very recently 100% girls. Which I don't think sounds too great. :frown:

St. Mary's hasn't been all-girls for a few years; the male-female ratio is now pretty even. It's also the prettiest of the hill colleges apparently. I haven't been in there yet but the grounds look nice. I think it has a toastie bar too.

Almost everyone ends up loving whatever college they end up in; you will probably find yourself getting some Mary's spirit soon. :smile:
Fointy

Only the current 4th year will be all girls, and they will have graduated by the time you are here. As gh says, the M:F ratio is now pretty much even.
stolenstars
yes, congrats.

You need to click the course number (the red code), and it will tell you what grades you need.

OH WOW THANKS! ahh i 've forgotten my password to AES...i have to call them to find out which college i got into!
Reply 199
St Mary's is really pretty, and it's probably closer to the science site (if you go down the footpath) than John's. As said, the m:f ratio is pretty even now, so it's really not something to concern yourself with.

Latest