The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
I have a similar problem. My Natural Sciences application has been received by a college, but I have no idea of when a decision will be made. My twin brother has got an offer from Durham (same course), so I've been checking regulalry for any changes in UCAS. However, this is going to be a bit stupid if the response time is on the scale of months/weeks rather than days. :s-smilie:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 521
It really varies. I had two friends apply for physics at Trevs, and one found out pretty soon after his application was received (mid-November I think). However, he ended up getting an offer from Imperial, so around mid-January he declined the Durham offer and then Trevs offered my other friend a place about two days later - coincidence I think not! So you can't know, to be honest. Sorry, I know that's not really the answer you were after!
DJkG.1
Basically my question is the title ^.

Once an application has been ‘received by a college’, in my case my chosen college was Castle for law, how long approximately would a reply usually take?

Some people have said that colleges are super-quick once the department forwards your application, but others say that I should expect to wait until March. (I just hate hearing that)!

I know there is a good chance Castle will say no and then the circle of other colleges begins… but an approximate guesstimated waiting period would help. :o: Even if it was just your experience…

Thanks.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I seem to recall my letter from University College Durham coming just before those from Scottish universities, and they don't seem to appear until late February. I think it may just be a case of waiting. :smile:
Reply 523
Bezzler
It really varies. I had two friends apply for physics at Trevs, and one found out pretty soon after his application was received (mid-November I think). However, he ended up getting an offer from Imperial, so around mid-January he declined the Durham offer and then Trevs offered my other friend a place about two days later - coincidence I think not! So you can't know, to be honest. Sorry, I know that's not really the answer you were after!

No, it's fine thanks for the honest reply - best one so far. :yep:

Ars Ludicra
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I seem to recall my letter from University College Durham coming just before those from Scottish universities, and they don't seem to appear until late February. I think it may just be a case of waiting. :smile:

Ahh right, fair enough. I will keep my patience-hate on then!

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 524
I'm not sure about undergraduate courses but when i applied for my postgraduate course i had my offer form the department and then had my official offer from the university with the name of my college written in the letter about a week later.

So it was just a case of the department accepting me and then they got in touch with the graduate admissions to say they wanted to offer me a place, then graduate admissions forwarded me to my chosen college (which also happens to be Castle), then the college made a decision, got back in touch with graduate admissions to say they would offer me a place in college, then graduate admissions emailed and sent me my offer letter.
Reply 525
I applied to St Aidan's and got an offer six days after my application had been received by the College :smile:
Reply 526
On the internal tracking site it says "your application has beed sent to a college". Does this definitely mean that I have an offer from Durham?
zobo22
On the internal tracking site it says "your application has beed sent to a college". Does this definitely mean that I have an offer from Durham?

I wouldn't have thought so.

I can check mine for you, but I need to sit an admissions test, so if mine says that, you know it doesn't mean anything.
Reply 528
Well, I dont need to sit test. It used to say "application has been received by a department; your application has not been received by a college". It also says if it goes to a college that means your department has given you an offer at Durham but not necessarily at your 1st choise college.
zobo22
Well, I dont need to sit test. It used to say "application has been received by a department; your application has not been received by a college". It also says if it goes to a college that means your department has given you an offer at Durham but not necessarily at your 1st choise college.

Mine says that still, so I guess it's a good sign! :top:
Reply 530
The application is first sent to the department, and then to the colleges, I think. It only continues onto the colleges if the department approves you, and if the department approves you then you will receive a place.

So yes, I would say that this means you will receive an offer.
Changed my mind. I don't know what it means. But you just reminded me to withdraw my Durham application though, thanks!
Reply 532
Congratulations, you're going to Durham.

You may not get your first choice college but they will offer you a place at A college.
Reply 533
It doesn't definitely mean you have an offer, but likelihood is that yes, you have an offer.
Reply 534
How long did it take for people's applications to be received by a college?
Jimlon0
How long did it take for people's applications to be received by a college?

Depends entirely on the department - there's no set time frame I'm afraid.
There's no way of knowing I'm afraid. It depends whether they're doing it first-come-first-served or whether they're being selective about it - if they're being selective they may wait for the department to give them a reasonably sized batch to choose from before choosing who they want, in which case it could take a little while! Unfortunately we don't know how they're making their decisions so it's just a case of wait and see! (When I was applying I was under the impression that it was only first-come-first-served, but from a few comments made by the master and the senior tutor in freshers week, they definitely picked who they did or didn't want!)
Just for your information, when I got my offer from Castle, it took about 2 weeks between my application going to college and the final offer coming on UCAS.
I got a message on UCAS telling me theres been an update so I went to check it out and on the duhram aplication line under DECISION it says conditional.. So I'm in right? how do I find out the conditions?!
Reply 538
click on the course code, the details are in there.
March last year after applying October.

Latest