The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

The Macabre Vincent Price...
"If the department decides you are to receive an offer your application will be forwarded to a college"

IF.

Mine has, therefore I am to receive an offer according to that.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
happymonday
Durham has to make two offers to every student, one is the offer of a place on the course and the second is the accommodation offer.

Your application goes first to the course admissions tutors. If they want to make you an offer, then your application is passed to the college of your choice. If they want to accept you and their subject quota has not been filled, then you will receive an offer reasonably quickly ( in Durham terms !)
On the other hand , your chosen college may, for whatever reason, decline you as a student and you application is then passed on to other colleges for consideration, until a college place is offered.
You will not receive a firm offer until Durham can offer both a place on the course and a college place.

If the AES tracker changes to say thay your application has been passed to a college, then it means that the course admission tutor wants to make you an offer, and he now has to wait for a confirmation back from college.

I have never heard of an instance where a student has been rejected because no college has a place.

So.... unless there is an error on AES, you should receive an offer, but it may take a few weeks.

Thanks, very helpful :smile:
" * Your application has been received by the Department
* Your application has not yet been received by a College
"
:frown:
Reply 143
Same. :frown:
Reblet
Same. :frown:

Just noticed that you've listed your applications preferentially; Durham over Oxford??
#1Genius

Well, now, you didn't say that earlier, did you?

I said that the site said my application had been accepted by the department, and that the acknowledgement letter said this meant I'd been accepted whereas the website said that my application was still under scrutiny.

I have my answer anyhow, and I don't have time to superfluously argue something that really has no place because my curiosity has been satisfied.

#1Genius
I checked the tracking facility on the Durham site today, and it said my application has been forwarded to a college for consideration (I made an open application).

He did, actually :wink:
ChrisRH
" * Your application has been received by the Department
* Your application has not yet been received by a College
"
:frown:

:dito: :s-smilie:
Joanna May
He did, actually :wink:

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 150
#1Genius
Just noticed that you've listed your applications preferentially; Durham over Oxford??

I love it. I love Durham so much it's pathetic. All my friend's are there, I was going to go there last year, it's such an amazing place, not quite as huge in the acadaemic stresses as Oxford... Yeah. I'm besotted. haha. I'll never get into Oxford anyway, but now I'm really worried about not getting into Durham :frown: I will literally not know what to do with myself... Another gap year I guess... :frown: eurgh.
Reblet
I love it. I love Durham so much it's pathetic. All my friend's are there, I was going to go there last year, it's such an amazing place, not quite as huge in the acadaemic stresses as Oxford... Yeah. I'm besotted. haha. I'll never get into Oxford anyway, but now I'm really worried about not getting into Durham :frown: I will literally not know what to do with myself... Another gap year I guess... :frown: eurgh.

Awww, well best of luck! I hope you get what you want :smile:

I hear it's a bit lacking in terms of its social scene, though...have you heard this?
Reply 152
I'm surprised by the amount of non-durham peeps attracted to this thread :p:
Reply 153
#1Genius

I hear it's a bit lacking in terms of its social scene, though...have you heard this?

Ellaborate. Newcastle is 10 minutes away.
Tufts
I'm surprised by the amount of non-durham peeps attracted to this thread :p:

Ooh a resident Durham student...what's your take on my situation, if you don't mind me asking?
Tufts
Ellaborate. Newcastle is 10 minutes away.

Yeah I know, I am a Geordie myself by heritage...but I heard the transport links are poor...is there any truth in this?
Reply 156
#1Genius
Ooh a resident Durham student...what's your take on my situation, if you don't mind me asking?

I say wait till your official acceptance notice. That's what I did. Chill until then :smile:
#1Genius

Well, I would have thought you'd have established that before you'd applied.
Reply 158
#1Genius
Yeah I know, I am a Geordie myself by heritage...but I heard the transport links are poor...is there any truth in this?

Not at all. There's a train every 10 minutes. I live in Newcastle permanently and get the train in every day :smile:
Tufts
Not at all. There's a train every 10 minutes. I live in Newcastle permanently and get the train in every day :smile:

Oh right, that's quite reassuring then :smile:

Latest