The Student Room Group

Where can Biology lead?

Where can an A level in Biology lead? I realize there's subjects at university such as biochemistry, molecular biology and all sorts of weird and wonderful things, however i dont see where this can lead. Will it all end in a badly paid research job? Is there any money in the biological fields? Is there a large demand for jobs in biology related subjects such as the above named?

Little curious.

Scroll to see replies

Well heres a few for starters...
Medicine
Jobs in the police service, forensics etc.
Pharmacy
Scientific Journalism
Teaching & other education

I have this huge leaflet & poster from a UCAS fair, 'Biology a Subject for Life':p:
Reply 2
Medicine is more related to chemistry though, which i have taken, but doubt ill meet the medicine standard. And surely pharmacy is more chemistry also?
Reply 3
Biology A level on its own without Chem doesn't really lead to anything obvious - things like Biology, Biochem, Biomed, medicine, pharmarcy, dentistry etc all (or most) require Chemistry. But the combination of Bio and Chem opens up lots of doors. And just because you did a science degree doesn't necessary condemn you to a lifetime of lab/fieldwork or anything :wink: - a science degree gives you access to all the non-degree specific jobs (e.g. working in a company, law, teaching etc) as well as all the scientific jobs it can offer, such as research, working in a science based company (e.g. GSK)/national organisation (e.g. something to do with conservation), scientific journalism (magazines like New Scientist). If you climb up to the top then of course you'll earn lots, like with any other profession; but the starting salary is perhaps lower than, let's say, Investment Banking! :p: I suggest you ask in the Bio/Chem/Phys university subforum because they'd be able to give you better answers.

Out of interest, why do you think you don't meet the 'medicine standard'? And although chem is a requirement for medicine, I've heard that a lot of the course is human biology.
Reply 4
Well, this is a good question. As stated above biology is really useless without Chemistry so it doesn't lead anywhere specific...
Reply 5
I must admit i regret taking the subject, physics seems like a better choice. :frown:

Well i suppose at the very least you can say you know how organisms work to sound smart lol
Reply 6
And their 5'000 different names, structures and functions.:redface:
Reply 7
It can lead to many different career paths; that's what's so great about it - it's so diverse!!

There is a lot going on with genetics at the moment, biotechnology too. And conservation is becoming quite a big issue.

I have been told though that if you want a high up job within biology then postgraduates degrees are pretty much essential.
Reply 8
You can get into Investment Banking so long as you study Biology from a top 5 University. A science degree can lead to most jobs including administration :P !
Reply 9
DrEvil
You can get into Investment Banking so long as you study Biology from a top 5 University. A science degree can lead to most jobs including administration :P !

I suppose this is true, but don't you think a numerate degree (Maths for example) from a top 5 university will be more favoured?
Reply 10
Yes it will, but so would biology. Sciences are favoured by banks also.
StudentBusiness12
And surely pharmacy is more chemistry also?

Well you have to have chemistry A Level to do pharmacy but I think they should make biology a pre-req as well because there's lots of biology too.
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/biology/alumni/alumni.html I found this page particularly inspiring.
StudentBusiness12
Where can an A level in Biology lead? I realize there's subjects at university such as biochemistry, molecular biology and all sorts of weird and wonderful things, however i dont see where this can lead. Will it all end in a badly paid research job? Is there any money in the biological fields? Is there a large demand for jobs in biology related subjects such as the above named?

Little curious.

Lots of head-aches!
Reply 14
Sorry, my ignorance. i'm sure this thread is about 'A level' Biology?
"Where can an A level in Biology lead? I realize there's subjects at university such as biochemistry, molecular biology and all sorts of weird and wonderful things, however i dont see where this can lead. Will it all end in a badly paid research job? Is there any money in the biological fields? Is there a large demand for jobs in biology related subjects such as the above named?"

Studying Biology isn't about making big bucks, you study it because you're interested in it and you enjoy it... I don't think it's possible to do it otherwise. If you want to make serious money, study Law or something really boring like that!
StudentBusiness12

Little curious.

My Biology teacher said all she did was roll around in sh*t after she did her Biology degree.

Don't do it

It ain't worth it
joetheeskimo
My Biology teacher said all she did was roll around in sh*t after she did her Biology degree.

Don't do it

It ain't worth it

I can backup this statement.
Reply 18
joetheeskimo

Don't do it

It ain't worth it

How inspiring!
joetheeskimo

Don't do it

It ain't worth it

And then she went on to teach eloquent folk like you? Doesn't seem like much of a step up :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending