The Student Room Group

Been set homework over half term...a joke?!?!?

I've been set some summer projects for some subjects in preparation for next year i.e rewrite a previous essay ect. What are your opinions on being given homework over summer?
Perfectly normal and you have ages to do it. Suck it up
Sadly, homework remains a constant pain in life during the summer holidays - in addition to my intentions of revising ahead of going into Year 11 in September, I need to answer twenty questions for my next French controlled assessment. :frown: Believe me, I feel your pain because homework is always unfair at any time of the year, let alone the summer holidays!
Reply 3
Original post by danielwinstanley
I've been set some summer projects for some subjects in preparation for next year i.e rewrite a previous essay ect. What are your opinions on being given homework over summer?

Yep, continuous into the 6th form, there's no escape
I remember being set summer art homework at the end of Year 9 and having to spend the entire last week of the holidays working on it because I left it so late :'))

It's best to just get it over and done with tbh. Or leave it until the end, it can't be that time-consuming anyway.
Reply 6
Original post by SH0405

Mr Putin says it best.
Summer homework is better than getting back to school after 6 weeks of doing nothing and realising that you've forgotten how to write, as I did in year 8. :colonhash:
Just get it out the way early and enjoy your summer, or do a little bit every week. It's good to keep up on school even just a little bit; 6 weeks is a very long time.
I was set essays and homework to complete which I find kind of absurd as I might drop a subject
Reply 9
Original post by danielwinstanley

Wait until you get to sixth form or do a levels if that's what you intend and then see what work is.
You should really just take it as good practice rather than falling into the habit of bemoaning and avoiding it - perhaps do a little bit every day, or few days. I rarely got much going through GCSEs or A levels and the first few weeks back at school were hell for me, as suddenly the workload and level of mental activity I had been used to before the holidays seemed so difficult to get used to again, having had six weeks of doing essentially nothing!

If you're planning to go to university, trust me, it will pay off to be used to being productive even in so-called holidays - I wish my school and college had made more of a habit of giving us things to do. I haven't had a single holiday in my first year of university without often multiple essays and at least a stack of reading to do (the latter more so over the summer now), and it came at me like a smack in the face. It won't kill you to get used to the idea that even if it isn't term time, you should still be aware of and preparing for studies ahead. It's not particularly unrealistic or unfair at any level of study imo.
(edited 8 years ago)
At least you don't have to learn the whole AS physics spec before September :colonhash:
I wouldn't accept it, personally.

But then i am 21.
Oh big deal... It's not like you have to write a 10,000 word dissertation so therefore you need to research your chosen area of study.
do it and quit whining like a baby...stop being lazy and do it all this week...
Same but mine arent essays :biggrin:

a level hwk before we even start a level

Quick Reply

Latest