The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Not a party person? Don't worry!

Hey there, since it's results day today I thought I'd stop by here and first of all congratulate all of you on your places, and second try ease some worries I know some of you probably have.

I'm going into my third year now, and the past two years there's been a thread here along these lines so I thought I'd continue the tradition. In short, you all probably have this idea that Uni is going to be constant drinking and partying in clubs all night (it can be if you really want to do that though), and if you're like me then that doesn't exactly sound like your idea of a fun time. But don't worry! There's a lot more to do than that!

Your college, or Lusu themselves, will be arranging events throughout the week, and there should be an event every day which is less geared towards partying. There'll probably be more information closer to the time, but you can find the list of all upcoming events here: http://lusu.co.uk/happening/events/

Other than that, this thread itself is probably a good place to meet some like minded people you can hang out with while you're settling into campus, and also I'll hang around to answer any questions you have. So welcome to Lancaster, don't worry, and see you soon :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Lorox
Hey there, since it's results day today I thought I'd stop by here and first of all congratulate all of you on your places, and second try ease some worries I know some of you probably have.

I'm going into my third year now, and the past two years there's been a thread here along these lines so I thought I'd continue the tradition. In short, you all probably have this idea that Uni is going to be constant drinking and partying in clubs all night (it can be if you really want to do that though), and if you're like me then that doesn't exactly sound like your idea of a fun time. But don't worry! There's a lot more to do than that!

Your college, or Lusu themselves, will be arranging events throughout the week, and there should be an event every day which is less geared towards partying. There'll probably be more information closer to the time, but you can find the list of all upcoming events here: http://lusu.co.uk/happening/events/

Other than that, this thread itself is probably a good place to meet some like minded people you can hang out with while you're settling into campus, and also I'll hang around to answer any questions you have. So welcome to Lancaster, don't worry, and see you soon :smile:

Also here for any questions! I think I remember talking to you in this thread last year :tongue:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Yeah I remember you, nice to see you again :smile:
Yay Lancaster non-drinkers thread has been revived.
Reply 4
From what I've read and the material I've seen, am I close in thinking the Cartmel College community seems to consist of less partying or at least not a ridiculous amount? What was your experience like at your college in your first year?
Reply 5
Original post by _Nathan_
From what I've read and the material I've seen, am I close in thinking the Cartmel College community seems to consist of less partying or at least not a ridiculous amount? What was your experience like at your college in your first year?

There is definitely the stereotype that Cartmel is the quietest college with the most international students. However, that doesn't mean that everyone is quiet. I had a friend in Cartmel who didn't drink, though her flatmates did, and she found that Cartmel didn't have many non-drinking/partying events in freshers week so she came to my college's (Bowland) instead. I found it really easy to meet people in freshers and make friends within my college. After freshers, colleges organise a few events but I found myself going to a lot of society events more than anything else.

However, it's quite hard to judge what a college will be like because the JCR (students who organise college events among many other things) changes from year to year, so it'll vary a lot :tongue: There should be people in every college that you can relate to and get on with.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kathiye
There is definitely the stereotype that Cartmel is the quietest college with the most international students. However, that doesn't mean that everyone is quiet. I had a friend in Cartmel who didn't drink, though her flatmates did, and she found that Cartmel didn't have many non-drinking/partying events in freshers week so she came to my college's (Bowland) instead. I found it really easy to meet people in freshers and make friends within my college. After freshers, colleges organise a few events but I found myself going to a lot of society events more than anything else.

However, it's quite hard to judge what a college will be like because the JCR (students who organise college events among many other things) changes from year to year, so it'll vary a lot :tongue: There should be people in every college that you can relate to and get on with.

Wait so we can go to other colleges events? I was always unsure.
Reply 7
Original post by ChrisKnott
Wait so we can go to other colleges events? I was always unsure.

Well, I think that technically you're not supposed to, but they don't check for the non-drinking events and events in college bars, so no one would know. Quite a few people were from other colleges, and the person leading the event knew and gave them biscuits anyway. :tongue: Most people stick to their own colleges' events, though.
Reply 8
Yeah, some drinking events they'll check your wrist band to make sure you're in the right college, but otherwise you can just tag along and no one will care where you go.
Reply 9
Hey! I'm in Cartmel and have been looking at the timetable for freshers week. I don't really want to go to any of the clubbing/bar crawl events, but I'm worried that the people in my flat and the flat rep (whatever that is) are going to pressure me into going.... I don't want them to think I'm just being antisocial. Have you got any advice for this (what did you do?) Also is there a way for me to find the non drinking events other colleges are putting on and maybe go to those? I can only see Cartmel events on my timetable! Thank you!
Original post by Aliom
Hey! I'm in Cartmel and have been looking at the timetable for freshers week. I don't really want to go to any of the clubbing/bar crawl events, but I'm worried that the people in my flat and the flat rep (whatever that is) are going to pressure me into going.... I don't want them to think I'm just being antisocial. Have you got any advice for this (what did you do?) Also is there a way for me to find the non drinking events other colleges are putting on and maybe go to those? I can only see Cartmel events on my timetable! Thank you!

Hey,

I am in Cartmel too :biggrin:

Are you in superior ensuite?
Reply 11
Yeah :smile: isn't all of it superior ensuite?
Reply 12
Hey there, if your flatmates want to go out clubbing etc. and invite you along, they're more than likely to understand if you tell them it's not your thing, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, and hopefully you find other events to keep you occupied :smile:
Reply 13
Anyone else booking on the Castle trip?
Hey,

Anyone in Carmel moved in yet?

Original post by Aliom

Original post by _Nathan_
Reply 15
Original post by Yellow636
Hey,

Anyone in Carmel moved in yet?

I have, are you in cartmel too? What block? :smile:
Original post by Aliom
I have, are you in cartmel too? What block? :smile:

Hey,

House 52! you?
Original post by Aliom

The flat rep is a second/third year student who'll show you around and generally look after you during freshers week. They will try and get you to go to events because they believe it will be good for you.

I didn't particularly like clubbing in freshers week but still went anyway because I realised my preferences are not as important as getting to know my housemates. It was pretty clear that repeatedly missing out on events will inevitably lead to being isolated from them in the future, even if it's not intentional on their part. First impressions count for a lot.
Reply 18
If you explain to your reps that you're not big on clubbing, they won't pressure you, and they should know about alternative events you can go to.

If anybody here is too shy to attend a non-drinking event alone, then we can arrange a friendly meetup with a bunch of us here before an event :smile:
Does anyone else feel slightly awkward that most of the socials for societies are bar crawls?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending