Reply 1
Any replies much appreciated :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Don Joiner
GCSE: 10A*

AS: Maths (A), Economics (A), Geography (A), French (A)

A2 prediction: A*AA (+ an A in AS further maths)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say you have a good chance, based on your GCSEs and AS results.
Is there no way you can get your predictions up to at least A*A*A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

First of all, very well done for getting those grades. What I must ask though is why are your predicted grades so low? You must be able to get that to A*A*A or A*A*A* surely unless your school is very strict or you didn't get very high UMS. Additionally it will largely come down to your personal statement so if you aren't confident you are going to make a very good one then your chances will be a lot slimmer as LSE are brutal when it comes to personal statements.
Reply 4
Original post by OrionMusicNet
First of all, very well done for getting those grades. What I must ask though is why are your predicted grades so low? You must be able to get that to A*A*A or A*A*A* surely unless your school is very strict or you didn't get very high UMS. Additionally it will largely come down to your personal statement so if you aren't confident you are going to make a very good one then your chances will be a lot slimmer as LSE are brutal when it comes to personal statements.

Thanks, yeah I'll definitely try and get econ predicted A*, if I was predicted A*A*A and my personal statement was good would I be in a good position to get accepted?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks, yeah I'll definitely try and get econ predicted A*, if I was predicted A*A*A and my personal statement was good would I be in a good position to get accepted?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, definitely. What I would say though is that you should probably try to make your personal statement somewhat original in some way. It doesn't have to be anything really creative but at least if you can think of something you have done, or just write something that other people wouldn't have thought of, it will make you application stand out a lot more amongs the thousands of applications they get for Economics. You sound like you are bright though so I imagine you should be fine. I hope all goes well :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by OrionMusicNet
Yeah, definitely. What I would say though is that you should probably try to make your personal statement somewhat original in some way. It doesn't have to be anything really creative but at least if you can think of something you have done, or just write something that other people wouldn't have thought of, it will make you application stand out a lot more amongs the thousands of applications they get for Economics. You sound like you are bright though so I imagine you should be fine. I hope all goes well :smile:

Thank you very much for that- really helpful. I wish you the best :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you very much for that- really helpful. I wish you the best :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I am going to apply for 'Economics and Economic History' at LSE. Both my sisters are in LSE so I am hoping that they can help with my personal statement because it is so difficult to apply for a rare joint course like that as I have to apply for straight economics at other universities too. Still hoping that I can manage in the end though haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mate, chill out, seriously.
All you can do is work as hard as you can, write the best PS you can making sure that it is individual and shows a passion for your subject. Maybe attend the LSE Open Day and the LSE Student Shadowing?
Then you send off your UCAS application.

That is it. Nobody can tell you if you have more of or less of a chance than any other candidate. How would you feel if EVERY person on here and all of your teachers and everyone who knows you told you that you would almost certainly get into LSE or UCL and then you didn't get an offer from either?

There is no magic formula that gets you a guaranteed offer from LSE or any other top Uni. Just work as hard as you can to get the best grades you can.

(For the record, I only had 6 A* at GCSE and I got offers from LSE, UCL, Bath, Bristol and Cardiff on predicted grades of A*, A* A and that was what I got in my A Levels. I am going to LSE.)
Reply 9
Original post by JamjamjamT
Mate, chill out, seriously.
All you can do is work as hard as you can, write the best PS you can making sure that it is individual and shows a passion for your subject. Maybe attend the LSE Open Day and the LSE Student Shadowing?
Then you send off your UCAS application.

That is it. Nobody can tell you if you have more of or less of a chance than any other candidate. How would you feel if EVERY person on here and all of your teachers and everyone who knows you told you that you would almost certainly get into LSE or UCL and then you didn't get an offer from either?

There is no magic formula that gets you a guaranteed offer from LSE or any other top Uni. Just work as hard as you can to get the best grades you can.

(For the record, I only had 6 A* at GCSE and I got offers from LSE, UCL, Bath, Bristol and Cardiff on predicted grades of A*, A* A and that was what I got in my A Levels. I am going to LSE.)

Thanks for that, I will chill out more haha, what A levels did you do by the way?

Cheers
Reply 10
By the way, do you think LSE would like Geography less than History?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for that, I will chill out more haha, what A levels did you do by the way?

Cheers

Maths, Further Maths and Physics. Believe it or not but my offer from LSE was lower than my offer from UCL (A*A*A) and Bath (A*AA) and the same as Bristol (AAA) with only Cardiff offering AAB.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they do have A Levels that they prefer their students to have done because it will help them adapt to Uni life but that is not to say that you must only have those A Levels.
I only joined TSR once I had sent off my UCAS application because I wanted to know if and when offers were being given out and what those offers were. It also gave me a chance to get to know who else would be going to LSE. I scoured the LSE website for every scrap of info I could find - where better to look and I looked at different online sites to help find out more info.
Reply 13
Original post by JamjamjamT
I think they do have A Levels that they prefer their students to have done because it will help them adapt to Uni life but that is not to say that you must only have those A Levels.
I only joined TSR once I had sent off my UCAS application because I wanted to know if and when offers were being given out and what those offers were. It also gave me a chance to get to know who else would be going to LSE. I scoured the LSE website for every scrap of info I could find - where better to look and I looked at different online sites to help find out more info.

So do you think in LSE's eyes Geography < History

Posted from TSR Mobile
So do you think in LSE's eyes Geography < History

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look guys we aren't LSE - what we say isn't gold nor is it in any way definitely how they see it. At the end of the day it's YOUR application. The forums should be for discussing the experience, not pining over every minute detail and trying to crack the Dream Uni equation. Just remember we know as much as you do. We can't say whether something is better or not - it's all personal opinion. That's why it's better if your decisions are made by you and not strangers on online forums (no offence just in a ranty mood :tongue:)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have very good academics so you will pass their first screening, which is to eliminate those who do not or are not likely to meet the minimum requirements. I believe the next is your motivation and understanding of what you will be applying for, which will be assessed based on your PS. If your PS does not meet with expectations, you get eliminated. The shortlisted group will then be ranked. Only LSE knows the exact way to do it but you will be ranked so that they can choose the most best and most likely students to do well in their course.
Reply 17
YOU don't have AS results.... You're sitting them this year. I just checked your post history.... why lie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending