The Student Room Group

Are my grades too low from GCSE to be helpful?

Hi. So, I basically got ABBB in my AS Levels and I'm a bit disappointed with them, and I didn't do too well at GCSE either - and I'm starting to wonder if my GCSE grades are already bad enough for me to not be able to get into a Russell Group uni - UCL in particular is where I'd like, Oxford at a push.

GCSE:
A* - English Literature, History, Latin
A - French, ICT, English Language,
B - Physics, Biology
C - Maths, Chemistry
D - Art

AS:
English Lit - A
History - B (so frustrated by this one)
Sociology - B (was like 3 marks off an A)
Philosophy - B (again, just a few marks off A)

So...what realistically are my chances of getting into a Russell Group uni (particularly UCL and Oxford) with GCSEs like that and AS Levels as low as that?
Hey don't panic :smile:

To answer your question, I can't really say yes or no. It depends on other factors
- excellent personal statement?
-excellent teacher reference?
- what course you want to do?
- what your predicted grades are
- your extra curricular/employment status
- any other qualifications you have done - entry exam/epq

Your grades aren't the best that UCL/Oxford may see, but they won't be the worst either. Your grades may be too low for Oxford because apparently they focus on gcses, but I think you'll be alright for UCL. With the other factors I stated above, your application becomes a lot stronger. Your AS grades are so good that you can be predicted A*AA (maybe). I'm in the same predicament, so I'm not applying for UCL (didn't intend on going for Oxford). But you can still try, speak to your teachers about it too because they'll have a rough idea if your grades are low enough or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SkyRees
Hi. So, I basically got ABBB in my AS Levels and I'm a bit disappointed with them, and I didn't do too well at GCSE either - and I'm starting to wonder if my GCSE grades are already bad enough for me to not be able to get into a Russell Group uni - UCL in particular is where I'd like, Oxford at a push.

GCSE:
A* - English Literature, History, Latin
A - French, ICT, English Language,
B - Physics, Biology
C - Maths, Chemistry
D - Art

AS:
English Lit - A
History - B (so frustrated by this one)
Sociology - B (was like 3 marks off an A)
Philosophy - B (again, just a few marks off A)

So...what realistically are my chances of getting into a Russell Group uni (particularly UCL and Oxford) with GCSEs like that and AS Levels as low as that?

You have done fine at GCSE and AS level. Just work hard next year to push up those grades.

If I am being honest, you have no chance with Oxford and probably not UCL either - but there are plenty of other really good unis which will take you _ guessing you want to do an Arts subject. Look at places like KCL and Nottingham or Manchester - fine unis.

My daughter was rejected from Oxford with 7 A* and 3 A at GCSE and then 2A* and an A at A level.
Ah, sorry - I thought I put it down, but I'm looking to do either Law or History (I wanted to do Psychology but I didn't take sciences). Law is incredibly competitive though as well, so I'll probably end up having to do History.

Original post by angelcake123

- excellent personal statement?
-excellent teacher reference?
- what course you want to do?
- what your predicted grades are
- your extra curricular/employment status
- any other qualifications you have done - entry exam/epq

-Statement is pretty good, I had a lot of help from teachers with it
-teacher reference I don't know about, I know they were trying to get me to go to Cambridge if I got AAAB though
-Law, History or Psychology (Law preferably)
-Currently A*AA-B
-I suppose the LNAT would count for a qualification?

Original post by squeakysquirrel
You have done fine at GCSE and AS level. Just work hard next year to push up those grades.

If I am being honest, you have no chance with Oxford and probably not UCL either - but there are plenty of other really good unis which will take you _ guessing you want to do an Arts subject.

Thank you for the honesty, I'll try UCL to be ambitious, but steer clear of Oxford.

My daughter was rejected from Oxford with 7 A* and 3 A at GCSE and then 2A* and an A at A level.

That's ridiculous. Was it a heavily competitive course or something? It doesn't make sense to me why they'd reject her.

If I am being honest, you have no chance with Oxford and probably not UCL either - but there are plenty of other really good unis which will take you _ guessing you want to do an Arts subject. Look at places like KCL and Nottingham or Manchester - fine unis.

Most people are rejected from Oxbridge. Saying "my daughter was" isn't too meaningful. It's always a lottery.
. Oops wasn't meant to be a quote
Original post by SkyRees
Ah, sorry - I thought I put it down, but I'm looking to do either Law or History (I wanted to do Psychology but I didn't take sciences). Law is incredibly competitive though as well, so I'll probably end up having to do History.

-teacher reference I don't know about, I know they were trying to get me to go to Cambridge if I got AAAB though
-Currently A*AA-B

Thank you for the honesty, I'll try UCL to be ambitious, but steer clear of Oxford.

That's ridiculous. Was it a heavily competitive course or something? It doesn't make sense to me why they'd reject her.

She was rejected because they have so many top notch candidates - her grades were less than others. And all courses are competitive at Oxford - but it is not the only university!!!! ( And just to give you a little impetus - she did eventually end up at UCL and got a first. She was offered a place at Cambridge to do a Masters and turned it down - she is going to Imperial )
Original post by SkyRees

-Currently A*AA-B

Yeah law is mad competitive. Apparently in the UCL open day, they said 1/18 law places are accepted lol ffs. History is also competitive, I just don't know how far. If the uni didn't require an LNAT, then your score on that will be useless - at least according to lse. Yeah if you try UCL it's only 1/5 options anyways. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
She was rejected because they have so many top notch candidates - her grades were less than others. And all courses are competitive at Oxford - but it is not the only university!!!! ( And just to give you a little impetus - she did eventually end up at UCL and got a first. She was offered a place at Cambridge to do a Masters and turned it down - she is going to Imperial )

Best of luck to her! And that does put things in perspective, honestly. Thank you for the advice!

Original post by angelcake123
Yeah law is mad competitive. Apparently in the UCL open day, they said 1/18 law places are accepted lol ffs. History is also competitive, I just don't know how far. If the uni didn't require an LNAT, then your score on that will be useless - at least according to lse. Yeah if you try UCL it's only 1/5 options anyways. :smile:

Bruh, I'd heard it was 1/5 places o.o That might have been History though, saying that. And I'm almost certain all of my 5 choices require it so I'd better do well ahaha :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending