The Student Room Group

Optometry 2016

I just got my AS results and I got ACC:
A in Psychology, C in Chemistry and C in Biology.
I really want to do optometry at Manchester but they requirements are AAB with an A in both Bio and Chem, I am resitting my chemistry and one paper in biology so I'm hoping for AAB if I get lucky but I'm not sure whether I should apply for optom if I'm not going to get in- I would rather apply for something else like Biomedical Science or something like that where I would have more of a chance
Does anyone know if Manchester allow anyone to get into the course without both As in the sciences?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey I'm also thinking of applying for optometry as well and I'm in a similar situation to yours. I got a B in psychology and a C in biology and a C chemistry. I was 3/4 marks off an A in psychology so hopefully I'm going to be resitting one of the papers to get my AS grade up to an A. I will also be resitting biology where I was a couple of marks off a B and same with chemistry. The entry requirements are AAB for Manchester so it depends on what I'm predicted by my school for them to give me an offer. If you don't mind me asking what were your AS predictions because I was predicted A's but I got C's and I'm wondering if that was the case with anyone else. I've been reading over the old student room optometry threads and some people have mentioned that Manchester let you in with ABB. But it also depends on how you do in your interview

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Mizzyb
Hey I'm also thinking of applying for optometry as well and I'm in a similar situation to yours. I got a B in psychology and a C in biology and a C chemistry. I was 3/4 marks off an A in psychology so hopefully I'm going to be resitting one of the papers to get my AS grade up to an A. I will also be resitting biology where I was a couple of marks off a B and same with chemistry. The entry requirements are AAB for Manchester so it depends on what I'm predicted by my school for them to give me an offer. If you don't mind me asking what were your AS predictions because I was predicted A's but I got C's and I'm wondering if that was the case with anyone else. I've been reading over the old student room optometry threads and some people have mentioned that Manchester let you in with ABB. But it also depends on how you do in your interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I am in exactly the same situation as you, I was predicted 3As and I got As and Bs throughout the year and still ended up with a C but I was 3 marks off a B in chemistry but I'm really hoping for an A in chemistry overall, I got 90+ UMS in psychology so if I can get similar again and possibly get an A* in psych that would be amazing but that's if I'm lucky, I've heard that Bradford are more lenient with their requirements, but if you're saying they may accept ABB I shall give optom a shot, what experience or extra curricular activities have you done to help with your application for optometry if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 3
That's exactly what happened with me, I've been doing so well throughout the year, things were looking good but I came out with a C? Maybe it had something to do with the exam boards? Btw what exam board were you with? And yeah I've heard that about Bradford too, they're more flexible with their entry requirements. But go for it! Apply for optometry! With the resits and by pushing yourself and working hard in A2 you'll be able to get the grades! And if you give a reallllyyy good interview!! What unis are you thinking of Applying to?The uni's I have in mind are Manchester, Bradford and Aston which has entry requirements of AAA which are super high but there's no harm in applying! The thing with optometry is that the uni's that offer the course are really far!! And tbh I have only just got my mind set on doing optometry so I haven't really got any experience for that but in the next year I will try to get as much as possible. But apart from that I've done work experience in a dental surgery, a week in a primary school, voluntary work in a charity shop and a duke of edinburghs award. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Mizzyb
That's exactly what happened with me, I've been doing so well throughout the year, things were looking good but I came out with a C? Maybe it had something to do with the exam boards? Btw what exam board were you with? And yeah I've heard that about Bradford too, they're more flexible with their entry requirements. But go for it! Apply for optometry! With the resits and by pushing yourself and working hard in A2 you'll be able to get the grades! And if you give a reallllyyy good interview!! What unis are you thinking of Applying to?The uni's I have in mind are Manchester, Bradford and Aston which has entry requirements of AAA which are super high but there's no harm in applying! The thing with optometry is that the uni's that offer the course are really far!! And tbh I have only just got my mind set on doing optometry so I haven't really got any experience for that but in the next year I will try to get as much as possible. But apart from that I've done work experience in a dental surgery, a week in a primary school, voluntary work in a charity shop and a duke of edinburghs award. How about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

My exam boards are ocr for Bio and Chem and aqa for psych, Manchester is my goal but I'm gonna apply at Bradford (eventhough I don't want to go there idk why) but you're right there are only a few unis tht do optometry in comparison to other courses and even then so far away but I'm gonna keep backup courses cus the requirements are high for optom so I think I need a strong backup to fall on if optom doesn't happen something like pharmacy but writing my personal statement would be hard I'm just really confused after shocking AS results, and I've done a week in a pharmacy, week at a independent opticians, week at a secondary school and week shadowing a Senior lab technician, I don't do nothing in my spare time like join a youth group etc I play netball and football but that's it- do you think I should join a youth group or do some voluntary work with a charitable organisation? I wanted to do an epq something to do with optometry so my ps stands out and through that I can have some good knowledge of optics to talk about in my interview but I'm rethinking cus I'll have enough to focus on with resits etc and a epq would just be something extra do you think I should or nah?
Reply 5
Original post by justbilivit
My exam boards are ocr for Bio and Chem and aqa for psych, Manchester is my goal but I'm gonna apply at Bradford (eventhough I don't want to go there idk why) but you're right there are only a few unis tht do optometry in comparison to other courses and even then so far away but I'm gonna keep backup courses cus the requirements are high for optom so I think I need a strong backup to fall on if optom doesn't happen something like pharmacy but writing my personal statement would be hard I'm just really confused after shocking AS results, and I've done a week in a pharmacy, week at a independent opticians, week at a secondary school and week shadowing a Senior lab technician, I don't do nothing in my spare time like join a youth group etc I play netball and football but that's it- do you think I should join a youth group or do some voluntary work with a charitable organisation? I wanted to do an epq something to do with optometry so my ps stands out and through that I can have some good knowledge of optics to talk about in my interview but I'm rethinking cus I'll have enough to focus on with resits etc and a epq would just be something extra do you think I should or nah?

🙌🏼 my goal is Manchester too but I'm still applying for Bradford. Even tho it's my hometown I don't really want to go there either unless i have no choice but to. Probs gonna keep Bradford as my insurance choice and Manchester as my firm choice if I get offers from both unis. But I'm going to use all my five choices for optometry and none for pharmacy. If I don't get into any of my choices then I'll have to go through clearing to get into pharmacy at Bradford but hopefully that won't happen . Plus through clearing it will be much easier. Pharmacy and optometry are two verrryyy different courses and you can only have one personal statement so writing that will be very tricky if you want to apply for backup courses. Maybe try looking into similar courses to optometry as a backup, something like orthoptics? I've been told about it but idk how good it is. Only a few unis do it! And that looks like a good range of experience, just remember it's about the quality of the skills you've got from the experience and not really how much you've done, you get what I mean? Maybe gets some voluntary work at a charity shop where you can develop your skills like communicating with people as that is needed as an optician, etc. if you can find more experience for optometry then it would be good, it will give you more to write about and it would develop your skills and you would know lots more about the course which you could talk about in your interview. Instead of epq Research on the course details and find some brief information on the topics optometry students are taught,maybe like eye diseases or something? And you could use this information in your interview (hopefully you will get one) and impress the interviewer. That way you won't have to do as much work for epq and you will still know lots of stuff about optics. Start now!! Also make sure you sound interesting and exciting in your personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there! @justbilivit @Mizzyb

I'm one of the student ambassadors for Orthoptics at the University of Liverpool.

Is there anything in particular about Orthoptics that you would like to know? We are happy to help answer any questions! :smile: There are a few videos on youtube that explain what Orthoptics is and what it is like to be a Student Orthoptist, this may help give you a feel as to what the course is like. This one is from the University of Liverpool - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpWoe6r9cp0 and this one from the University of Sheffield - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRUxtVN1tr4

We have created a document that explains the differences between Optometry and Orthoptics - this may be worth will looking at if you are thinking of applying to Orthoptics and may help aid with your personal statement.

Currently, only Sheffield, Liverpool and Glasgow Caledonian offer the Orthoptics course in the U.K.

If you have any questions, we have a Facebook account (University of Liverpool Orthoptics), a twitter account (@LivUniOrthoptic) that we can be reached on too.

We also have a Pinterest account (Orthoptics at Liverpool) which has lots of boards with pins relevant to Orthoptics, if you wish to know more about Orthoptics.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Livuniorthoptic
Hi there! @justbilivit @Mizzyb

I'm one of the student ambassadors for Orthoptics at the University of Liverpool.

Is there anything in particular about Orthoptics that you would like to know? We are happy to help answer any questions! :smile: There are a few videos on youtube that explain what Orthoptics is and what it is like to be a Student Orthoptist, this may help give you a feel as to what the course is like. This one is from the University of Liverpool - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpWoe6r9cp0 and this one from the University of Sheffield - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRUxtVN1tr4

We have created a document that explains the differences between Optometry and Orthoptics - this may be worth will looking at if you are thinking of applying to Orthoptics and may help aid with your personal statement.

Currently, only Sheffield, Liverpool and Glasgow Caledonian offer the Orthoptics course in the U.K.

If you have any questions, we have a Facebook account (University of Liverpool Orthoptics), a twitter account (@LivUniOrthoptic) that we can be reached on too.

We also have a Pinterest account (Orthoptics at Liverpool) which has lots of boards with pins relevant to Orthoptics, if you wish to know more about Orthoptics.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Mizzyb
🙌🏼 my goal is Manchester too but I'm still applying for Bradford. Even tho it's my hometown I don't really want to go there either unless i have no choice but to. Probs gonna keep Bradford as my insurance choice and Manchester as my firm choice if I get offers from both unis. But I'm going to use all my five choices for optometry and none for pharmacy. If I don't get into any of my choices then I'll have to go through clearing to get into pharmacy at Bradford but hopefully that won't happen . Plus through clearing it will be much easier. Pharmacy and optometry are two verrryyy different courses and you can only have one personal statement so writing that will be very tricky if you want to apply for backup courses. Maybe try looking into similar courses to optometry as a backup, something like orthoptics? I've been told about it but idk how good it is. Only a few unis do it! And that looks like a good range of experience, just remember it's about the quality of the skills you've got from the experience and not really how much you've done, you get what I mean? Maybe gets some voluntary work at a charity shop where you can develop your skills like communicating with people as that is needed as an optician, etc. if you can find more experience for optometry then it would be good, it will give you more to write about and it would develop your skills and you would know lots more about the course which you could talk about in your interview. Instead of epq Research on the course details and find some brief information on the topics optometry students are taught,maybe like eye diseases or something? And you could use this information in your interview (hopefully you will get one) and impress the interviewer. That way you won't have to do as much work for epq and you will still know lots of stuff about optics. Start now!! Also make sure you sound interesting and exciting in your personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's actually a really good idea tbh, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Aston require maths or physics? I'm thinking on applying at City Univeristy London but I'm not sure, have you heard anything about optometry there as in how it is etc? You're from Bradford, that's awesome (if you want to go to Bradford that is) the nearest decent uni where I am is Manchester, I've heard and read somewhere on here that if you do a degree like biochemistry or biomedical and if you do well something like 65%+ in your first year you have an option to transfer to another course like optom but I'm not sure if that'd be the case in 2016 and I need to start writing my personal statement and I haven't started 😖
Hi guys

I missed Medicine offer so this year I will applying to optometry at Manchester which will be my firm choice if an offer is made to me and Bradford or City as insurance. I will resitting a few exams which probably indicates I missed my offer by a quite a bit but Optom was always my first choice career until I got convinced by family and friends to do Medicine instead. I am going to stick with my first love which is Optometry. Ps I actually applied to Optometry as a backup at University of Manchester last year got an offer of (A = Biology B = Chemistry C = Economics) straight after my interview.
Reply 10
Original post by Miser101
Hi guys

I missed Medicine offer so this year I will applying to optometry at Manchester which will be my firm choice if an offer is made to me and Bradford or City as insurance. I will resitting a few exams which probably indicates I missed my offer by a quite a bit but Optom was always my first choice career until I got convinced by family and friends to do Medicine instead. I am going to stick with my first love which is Optometry. Ps I actually applied to Optometry as a backup at University of Manchester last year got an offer of (A = Biology B = Chemistry C = Economics) straight after my interview.

Welcome to the optometry club!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Hi guys

Hiya, if optometry is where your interest lies that's great! Omg ABC is a fantastic offer made my Manchester bearing in mind the requirements are AAB! If you don't mind me asking, where did you apply for medicine?
Original post by Mizzyb
Welcome to the optometry club!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha I am happy to finally have a membership but on a serious note if anyone wants to ask me about the Optometry interview experience I will be very happy to help, obv may not be able to get into specifics but I will help
Hiya, if optometry is where your interest lies that's great! Omg ABC is a fantastic offer made my Manchester bearing in mind the requirements are AAB! If you don't mind me asking, where did you apply for medicine?

ABC is a great offer and it wasn't just me a most of the other guys had the same offer as well on the day I got interviewed though I would still work my a** of for the minimum that is stated on there website. As for medical schools I applied to Manchester, Leeds, Plymouth and Barts. Got rejected from all of them but only got an AAA offer from Manchester. Even though I didn't make my offer I think I may have dodged a bullet with medicine, 5 years of gruelling work with further exams for speciality training the rewards are great at the end of it all but you have to sacrifice too much, hence why I wont be applying for Medicine. With Optom I can do something I love,graduate in 3 years with 1 year pre-reg and start earning a good packet and start adding something seriously good stuff to my CV

Sorry for rambling on!
Reply 14
ABC is a great offer and it wasn't just me a most of the other guys had the same offer as well on the day I got interviewed though I would still work my a** of for the minimum that is stated on there website. As for medical schools I applied to Manchester, Leeds, Plymouth and Barts. Got rejected from all of them but only got an AAA offer from Manchester. Even though I didn't make my offer I think I may have dodged a bullet with medicine, 5 years of gruelling work with further exams for speciality training the rewards are great at the end of it all but you have to sacrifice too much, hence why I wont be applying for Medicine. With Optom I can do something I love,graduate in 3 years with 1 year pre-reg and start earning a good packet and start adding something seriously good stuff to my CV

Sorry for rambling on!

So an conditional offer like ABC would depend on your as grades, I got ACC so ABC would be something I would hopefully be able to achieve, and yes! That's the exact reason why I've never been interested in medicine, it doesn't get any easier and it's just too long- were there no optom courses available in clearing at Bradford or city? And if I get an interview at Manchester (hopefully) I shall bombard you with questions then :smile:
Reply 15
Hi guys

What sort of questions were you asked in your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So an conditional offer like ABC would depend on your as grades, I got ACC so ABC would be something I would hopefully be able to achieve, and yes! That's the exact reason why I've never been interested in medicine, it doesn't get any easier and it's just too long- were there no optom courses available in clearing at Bradford or city? And if I get an interview at Manchester (hopefully) I shall bombard you with questions then :smile:

Yes there was places availble for clearing at Bradford, they put you in a queue and then the admissions decide who they want. I never enquired at City so im not sure.
Hi everyone,
I am thinking of applying for optometry 2016 entry. I re-sat Year 12 (AS), i initially got acdu (psychology,biology,chemistry&maths) dropped maths and resat the year and got AABC (biology,business, A2 psychology and chemistry) Really disappointed in my chemistry grade as i was 4 ums of a B and a2 psychology was 2 ums of an A, remarked both the papers and it remained the same. I am now carrying on to study a2 bio,chem and business and i may retake a psychology paper to gain that one mark. Due to my C in chemistry i don't know whether i should retake the papers for the second time to get to an A. Would this affect my application due to the fact that this would be the 3rd time writing this paper? Or should i just carry on?
I don't know whether i should still apply for optometry as many of the unis want an A.
I have gained work experience in a Nursery, Dentist, Moorfield Eye Hospital, Moorfield A&E for eyes and Specsavers.
Any advise on what i should do ?
Reply 18
hi guy i just got my GCSE's recently and i obtained 9 GCSEs including maths,both English,triple science
i am quite interested in studying orthoptics in uni
iv chosen English literature,biology and law for this year i was wondering if they are okay to study in order to study orthoptics in uni
Original post by m_farah
hi guy i just got my GCSE's recently and i obtained 9 GCSEs including maths,both English,triple science
i am quite interested in studying orthoptics in uni
iv chosen English literature,biology and law for this year i was wondering if they are okay to study in order to study orthoptics in uni

Hi there!

I am one of the Student Ambassadors for Orthoptics at The University of Liverpool.

The entry requirements for studying Orthoptics at The University of Liverpool can be found on the website: https://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/orthoptics-bsc-hons/entry-requirements/

However, if you have any questions please feel free to contact the admissions director, Ashli Milling ([email protected])

If you have any other questions about studying Orthoptics, we will be more than happy to answer them.

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest