The Student Room Group

Is 24k a decent starting salary?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by welcometoib
youd want 30k first year out of uni? unless its finance what else does this?

There are other industries that do this too.. In London, id want that much. Any where else I was happy with 24K

I know someone who's starting on some 35-40K but he's working at a hedge fund which explains a lot (Not finance job tho)
(edited 8 years ago)
lol at people saying 24k is ok. deluded site.

It's OK for a first wage. Not the greatest when you're in London but not bad either.
Original post by infairverona
If you're living at home it's plenty. I earn a few k over that and I have a lot of spare money each month but it depends how much if any you will be paying your parents? I pay my Mum some rent and bills but it's nowhere near as much as moving out would be.

Also, I have found from my own research that living in London isn't as expensive as everyone says. You can move into a houseshare for around £500 a month and then bills on top, I think that's pretty reasonable?

Great, I'll prolong living at home as long as possible I think. I don't have to contribute much either, so I'm quite lucky. I'd rather avoid living in a houseshare with randomers just for the sake of a bit of independence (been there, done that) so I'd rather save up for a deposit or something like that.
Original post by The_Internet
It's OK for a first wage. Not the greatest when you're in London but not bad either.

its excellent when loads of people dont get ****. and im saying this with ib or consulting in mind as well.
Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood
It's very good. Don't listen to that nonsense about 25-30k starting salaries for grads, that only applies to those small percentage of top tier blue chip schemes which most people aren't on.

24k is very good. Take it.

However, this depends what industry you're talking about of course. What industry is it? Investment banking, law and such bump up the average massively.

It's a run of the mill grad job, not law or banking. I'm alright with it, just curious and wanted to see if it was average or not.
its excellent when loads of people dont get ****. and im saying this with ib or consulting in mind as well.

Not everybody wants to do IB or consulting.
It's not bad. If it was in London, Id want 30K tbh, but it's not bad.

Lol good luck getting that straight out of uni.
Reply 47
it's ok. Not something I'd be aiming for as my starting salary tbh
Reply 48

'Not the greatest' is unfairly misleading. Anything could be considered 'not the greatest'. 24k even in London is a very good starting salary for someone with 0 work experience.
Original post by Juichiro
Without a degree, you are much less likely to hit 23K.

That is only partially true.......when you look at the older employees in many firms you find that there are a significant amount of people with no degree. After a few years and provided you have relevant years of experience, the experience is far more valuable.
Reply 50
Original post by Ray7
it's ok. Not something I'd be aiming for as my starting salary tbh

Ray7; what would you be aiming for as your starting salary? And what do you realistically believe you'd get as your starting salary (if different).
Original post by yabbayabba
Not everybody wants to do IB or consulting.

Consulting at the big 4 in terms of first year pay isn't too far off the 24k....which company? I'm looking for a graduate job

Original post by Reue
'Not the greatest' is unfairly misleading. Anything could be considered 'not the greatest'. 24k even in London is a very good starting salary for someone with 0 work experience.

That is very true.......though I understand other peoples views of it being in London, I know some firms give extra because of the cost of living in London. Though I also know someone starting at almost double that amount :/
Please can people also say whether they're still a student or are working. Students can have an opinion of course, but only those who are working are really qualified to answer this to be honest, sorry. There are loads of deluded students convinced that anything under 30k is unacceptable straight out of uni, for some reason.
Lol good luck getting that straight out of uni.

~ 29K and not in London, so..yknow. Well tell a lie, it's £120/day atm. I dont know what theyre doing with the contracts

Original post by Reue

This is true, though tbf Reue, it was more thinking hmmm could get 24K outside of London, without the cost, but yeah it isn't exactly bad. And it depends on the industry
Original post by Iqbal007
Consulting at the big 4 in terms of first year pay isn't too far off the 24k....which company? I'm looking for a graduate job

That is very true.......though I understand other peoples views of it being in London, I know some firms give extra because of the cost of living in London. Though I also know someone starting at almost double that amount :/

Are you serious? So they pay 23k in consulting straight out of uni? I thought consulting would be way more, that's why people apply to it. I'm not saying on a public forum sorry; but it's a major company anyway just to give you a general idea.
~ 29K and not in London, so..yknow. Well tell a lie, it's £120/day atm. I dont know what theyre doing with the contracts

This is true, though tbf Reue, it was more thinking hmmm could get 24K outside of London, without the cost, but yeah it isn't exactly bad. And it depends on the industry

Well good for you, but that's definitely not the norm.
Are you serious? So they pay 23k in consulting straight out of uni? I thought consulting would be way more, that's why people apply to it. I'm not saying on a public forum sorry; but it's a major company anyway just to give you a general idea.

When I said it wasn't far off, I meant it was more than yours, but not that far off, couple of thousand, not sure about sign on bonus.
They are new, they need experience, the further they go, the more money.

Are they still open for application? if so pm me please especially if its in finance or IT. Really need a job.
Well good for you, but that's definitely not the norm.

No that's true. Fair point tbh. Perhaps I have a slight bias, cos of personal starting wage etc... Otherwise then yeah I guess 24K is a "fantastic" wage for many
Original post by Iqbal007
When I said it wasn't far off, I meant it was more than yours, but not that far off, couple of thousand, not sure about sign on bonus.
They are new, they need experience, the further they go, the more money.

Are they still open for application? if so pm me please especially if its in finance or IT. Really need a job.

Ah right, makes sense now haha. It's not a job you'd be qualified for looking at your education.
No that's true. Fair point tbh. Perhaps I have a slight bias, cos of personal starting wage etc... Otherwise then yeah I guess 24K is a "fantastic" wage for many

Count yourself lucky :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending