The Student Room Group

Good hospitals for socials and accommodation

Hi,

I'm starting to think of where to apply for Fy1/Fy2. I don't have a boyfriend or any other particular ties to a certain area so I am open to go pretty much anywhere! At the moment I am thinking of applying for South Thames but also considering Oxford and Wessex deaneries as well.

One of the really important things for me is that there are good opportunities to make friends with other junior doctors in the hospital. I know we will all be very busy, but I would ideally like a hospital where a lot of the fy1/fy2s stay in hospital accommodation and there is a good doctor's mess with lots of social opportunities throughout the year.

Has anyone had any experience of any hospitals which fit these criteria?! Ideally within south thames, oxford or wessex deaneries? Or is there anywhere I would be able to find out this information?

Thank you so much!
Reply 1
Original post by bex1995
Hi,

I'm starting to think of where to apply for Fy1/Fy2. I don't have a boyfriend or any other particular ties to a certain area so I am open to go pretty much anywhere! At the moment I am thinking of applying for South Thames but also considering Oxford and Wessex deaneries as well.

One of the really important things for me is that there are good opportunities to make friends with other junior doctors in the hospital. I know we will all be very busy, but I would ideally like a hospital where a lot of the fy1/fy2s stay in hospital accommodation and there is a good doctor's mess with lots of social opportunities throughout the year.

Has anyone had any experience of any hospitals which fit these criteria?! Ideally within south thames, oxford or wessex deaneries? Or is there anywhere I would be able to find out this information?

Thank you so much!
I was in South Thames. Deliberately chose a hospital that was not close to London or anything too exciting for F1. It meant that people didn't rush away at evenings/weekends. I worked in Margate where there were only 20 of us, we were all quite close and even went on holiday together (never seen medical staffing look so nervous). We still keep in touch now with a whatsapp group, and almost half of them are coming to my wedding next weekend.

In my experience the best places:
*Are not in a huge city
*Have a smallish cohort
*DGH
Reply 2
Original post by Sarky
I was in South Thames. Deliberately chose a hospital that was not close to London or anything too exciting for F1. It meant that people didn't rush away at evenings/weekends. I worked in Margate where there were only 20 of us, we were all quite close and even went on holiday together (never seen medical staffing look so nervous). We still keep in touch now with a whatsapp group, and almost half of them are coming to my wedding next weekend.

In my experience the best places:
*Are not in a huge city
*Have a smallish cohort
*DGH

Thank you for your advice! Sounds like you had a really good experience! I agree that if I am in South Thames i will definitely try and go to one of the hospitals outside of London. Do you think that these are a bit less competitive?

Also, just out of curiosity, why would you say that a DGH is a better option to a teaching hospital?

Thanks
Reply 3
Can't comment on particular hospitals in the areas where you're interested but from the places I have worked, I would also recommend DGH in a smaller area with a smallish cohort for the best social experience. My F1 year I was one of only 20 F1s in the whole hospital, you got to know all the juniors fairly well, the mess was very friendly and lots of organised socials. Similarly, my CT1 year, all the juniors knew each other in the mess so you would always have someone to talk to or ask advice from if needed when you were in there. The other places I've worked, even after a full year I didn't know all the F2s working there or all the core trainees in my cohort let alone any other juniors!
Reply 4
Original post by bex1995
Thank you for your advice! Sounds like you had a really good experience! I agree that if I am in South Thames i will definitely try and go to one of the hospitals outside of London. Do you think that these are a bit less competitive?

Also, just out of curiosity, why would you say that a DGH is a better option to a teaching hospital?

Thanks

Yes they usually are less competitive although that depends. If they're in a nice area then that changes slightly. I did my F2 year at St Thomas' which was very different. I loved Margate and it was a great place to do F1, I wasn't desperate to be in London work wise so it made it easier for me to choose where I did. My other options were all small-medium sized hospitals. I've done two years in huge hospitals and never even went to the mess or knew where it was. Now I'm back in a medium sized hospital and never see the mess or juniors outside my specialty but that's because I was silly with my career choice :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Sarky
Yes they usually are less competitive although that depends. If they're in a nice area then that changes slightly. I did my F2 year at St Thomas' which was very different. I loved Margate and it was a great place to do F1, I wasn't desperate to be in London work wise so it made it easier for me to choose where I did. My other options were all small-medium sized hospitals. I've done two years in huge hospitals and never even went to the mess or knew where it was. Now I'm back in a medium sized hospital and never see the mess or juniors outside my specialty but that's because I was silly with my career choice :smile:

again thanks for your reply. just one other question. did you live in hospital accommodation in Margate? If so, did most of the other fy1s? Just trying to judge whether having hospital accommodation available, which most of the junior doctors use, makes a difference to whether it is quite friendly & sociable or not !
Reply 6
Original post by bex1995
again thanks for your reply. just one other question. did you live in hospital accommodation in Margate? If so, did most of the other fy1s? Just trying to judge whether having hospital accommodation available, which most of the junior doctors use, makes a difference to whether it is quite friendly & sociable or not !

Yes I did. Only two of our group didn't. One was a bit older and wanted somewhere quieter, the other was married and lived in a flat a few blocks along. The accommodation was brand new as well, which helped.
Reply 7
I've worked in 5 different hospitals in London and virtually nobody lived in hospital accommodation. Social life was variable - the best for me was Lewisham, which has a pub on site! Nice to be able to catch up/debrief with people after a tough day.

I'm in Oxford deanery now, but am a registrar and married so probably a bit out of touch with what the F1s are up to! Oxford itself is a huge trust and I can imagine might be quite scary to start off in. Royal Berks has a good reputation, and I'm currently in MK, which is not considered the greatest, but they're working hard to improve it and it seems pretty friendly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reading was very active.

Slough doesn't have a mess that I've seen so far (!).
Not in the area you're specifically asking about but I have to give a mention to Peninsula deanery.which I found an awesome place to do final year of med school and F1/2. Especially Torbay hospital, a DGH on the south devon coast with a hugely active mess, consultants are so friendly and great at teaching, lots to do as its a holiday destination , and former HSJ 'acute trust of the year'.
A really great choice if you're looking to explore more of England in your foundation years and make new friends!
Reply 10
Original post by nexttime
Reading was very active.

Slough doesn't have a mess that I've seen so far (!).

Thanks! By Slough do you mean Wexham Park hospital?
Reply 11
Original post by Smile88egc
Not in the area you're specifically asking about but I have to give a mention to Peninsula deanery.which I found an awesome place to do final year of med school and F1/2. Especially Torbay hospital, a DGH on the south devon coast with a hugely active mess, consultants are so friendly and great at teaching, lots to do as its a holiday destination , and former HSJ 'acute trust of the year'.
A really great choice if you're looking to explore more of England in your foundation years and make new friends!

That's good to know! i haven't completely ruled out the Peninsula deanery so that is good to hear. Was there hospital accommodation in Torbay hospital?
Yeah Torbay has self contained studio flats about 475 a month, or u can share in houses of 3 or 4, usually other f1/f2s with the odd physio/pharmacist thrown in, and u can ask for a male or female only house or mixed. 5th year med students also normally take a few houses. There are about 25 of these houses in an area on site, known to the locals as 'brookside'. They were about 400 a month which includes all bills, and when I was there, a cleaner twice a week and free loo roll top ups!
Original post by bex1995
Thanks! By Slough do you mean Wexham Park hospital?

Yes

We're genuinely wondering whether there is some corruption going on - we've all had £10 taken off of our pay slips to go to the mess but they have done nothing so far. No introductory events, no welcome, nothing.
Reply 14
Original post by nexttime
Yes

We're genuinely wondering whether there is some corruption going on - we've all had £10 taken off of our pay slips to go to the mess but they have done nothing so far. No introductory events, no welcome, nothing.

That's awful! I mean, it's a bit annoying not having a mess, but having a forced payment to a mess that doesn't actually exist is ridiculous!
Original post by bex1995
x

East Kent is where all the fun is :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by FFCrusader
East Kent is where all the fun is :biggrin:

As in good mess ? What about accommodation?
Original post by bex1995
As in good mess ? What about accommodation?

The accommodation is pretty nice in Ashford. It's been recently redone.

The mess is pretty reasonable. There's always a group going on a night out every week and the weekly meet ups in the pub alongside whatever people want to do during the week :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by FFCrusader
The accommodation is pretty nice in Ashford. It's been recently redone.

The mess is pretty reasonable. There's always a group going on a night out every week and the weekly meet ups in the pub alongside whatever people want to do during the week :smile:

That sounds fun. If i end up somewhere where there is one night out a week going on I will be a happy bunny haha!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending