The Student Room Group

Would I get university offers with ABC at AS level?

Hiya, I got ABC in my AS levels last week and I was wondering whether I would get offers for AAB universities to study law? My A was in English Literature, the B in Government and Politics and the C in Spanish. My A in English was a high A (187/200UMS). I'm planning to retake my Politics exams to get that up to an A and finally, my Spanish grade was a high C (135UMS with 140UMS being a B). Do you think I can still get offers from those universities to study law with those grades at AS?
Original post by chloe456
Hiya, I got ABC in my AS levels last week and I was wondering whether I would get offers for AAB universities to study law? My A was in English Literature, the B in Government and Politics and the C in Spanish. My A in English was a high A (187/200UMS). I'm planning to retake my Politics exams to get that up to an A and finally, my Spanish grade was a high C (135UMS with 140UMS being a B). Do you think I can still get offers from those universities to study law with those grades at AS?

In all seriousness, what do you think?
Reply 2
Original post by Not Anonymous
In all seriousness, what do you think?

I genuinely don't really know. I was hoping that I would but I wanted some clarification, do you think I would?
I genuinely don't really know. I was hoping that I would but I wanted some clarification, do you think I would?

Yes, providing you apply early and write a good personal statement. I got BBC at AS and got 3 offers of AAB for law
Hi there,

Unfortunately universities don't know where you sit within the grades. However, if you get good predicted grades you could certainly be in with a chance. It seems you could certainly achieve AAB in the end. They're very respected A Levels too. Have you considered taking a gap year? Then you could get some work experience and maybe earn a little money, then apply with your full A levels and be sure you'll get an offer.
Reply 5
Yes, providing you apply early and write a good personal statement. I got BBC at AS and got 3 offers of AAB for law

Okay, brilliant! Thanks, I will do that
Of course you will, some unis would take people with CCD. Just need to find a good list with those requirements.
Reply 7
Original post by smiley180
Hi there,

Unfortunately universities don't know where you sit within the grades. However, if you get good predicted grades you could certainly be in with a chance. It seems you could certainly achieve AAB in the end. They're very respected A Levels too. Have you considered taking a gap year? Then you could get some work experience and maybe earn a little money, then apply with your full A levels and be sure you'll get an offer.

I did consider it as I did think it would be beneficial to get some work experience and I would be sure of what to apply for. Although, my main concern with that was losing focus with what I wanted to do and whether I would write my personal statement before with the advice of my teachers or to just write it once I had left sixth form?
I did consider it as I did think it would be beneficial to get some work experience and I would be sure of what to apply for. Although, my main concern with that was losing focus with what I wanted to do and whether I would write my personal statement before with the advice of my teachers or to just write it once I had left sixth form?

You don't need work experience for uni, especially for law so don't worry. Write your personal statement draft now then let your parents/teachers review it and make changes. Why would you write it after you leave sixth form?
Reply 9

You could write most of it this year, and just leave space for extra experiences :smile: but it sounds like your grades are just fine without a gap year
Reply 10
You don't need work experience for uni, especially for law so don't worry. Write your personal statement draft now then let your parents/teachers review it and make changes. Why would you write it after you leave sixth form?

I don't really know, I've only just realised how much closer the applications are to being sent in than I thought so I'm pretty confused. I think that's what I will do and then I will think about whether I should take a gap year! Thanks for the advice by the way.
Reply 11
Original post by Ezme39
You could write most of it this year, and just leave space for extra experiences :smile: but it sounds like your grades are just fine without a gap year

Yeah that was what I was thinking! Thank you, I hope that they are good enough :smile:
Hey! I scraped ABC at AS (160 for the A, 159 for the B so very borderline) and managed to get A*BB at A2, with my predicted grades being AAB (one of the B's is 2UMS off of an A, which I'm still bitter about) but yeah, you should be fine as long as you're realistic with what universities and courses you apply to. I got offers from several Russel Group unis, including Exeter so if I can do it, anybody can. Just make sure you nail your personal statement and you'll be absolutely fine! Good luck. X
Reply 13
Original post by BeckiFay
Hey! I scraped ABC at AS (160 for the A, 159 for the B so very borderline) and managed to get A*BB at A2, with my predicted grades being AAB (one of the B's is 2UMS off of an A, which I'm still bitter about) but yeah, you should be fine as long as you're realistic with what universities and courses you apply to. I got offers from several Russel Group unis, including Exeter so if I can do it, anybody can. Just make sure you nail your personal statement and you'll be absolutely fine! Good luck. X

That's great, thank you! I was planning on applying for some of the Russell Group universities as that's what I'm aiming for. If you don't mind me asking, what subjects did you take? x

As long as your predicted grades, personal statement, reference and LNAT/interview (if applicable) are great, then I think you'll be fine. I'd advise applying to at least one uni that asks for ABB or lower though, so if you get rejected from your top choices you'll have somewhere to go, or it can be your insurance.

Some universities ask for a fourth AS level - so if you didn't take a fourth subject (which your post suggests), avoid them as you'd only be losing one of your five choices.
Reply 15
Original post by doctorwhofan98
As long as your predicted grades, personal statement, reference and LNAT/interview (if applicable) are great, then I think you'll be fine. I'd advise applying to at least one uni that asks for ABB or lower though, so if you get rejected from your top choices you'll have somewhere to go, or it can be your insurance.

Some universities ask for a fourth AS level - so if you didn't take a fourth subject (which your post suggests), avoid them as you'd only be losing one of your five choices.

My plan was to apply for one AAA to be ambitious, three AAB which would be my ideal choices and one BBB as insurance like you said. Thanks for your advice as I didn't realise that some ask for a fourth AS level so I will check my choices for that!
That's great, thank you! I was planning on applying for some of the Russell Group universities as that's what I'm aiming for. If you don't mind me asking, what subjects did you take? x

I did Psychology (A*), Sociology & Biology. I applied for Biomed when I did my UCAS but I'm now doing Psychology as I changed before results day. I got an E in AS chemistry due to my college hiring a teacher who had never done chemistry or taught A Levels so that was great haha. So yeah, if I can get offers from Exeter, Queen Mary's etc with those kinda grades for a relatively competitve course, you will be fine! If you have any questions about personal statements or whatever, feel free to inbox me :smile:
Reply 17
I did Psychology (A*), Sociology & Biology. I applied for Biomed when I did my UCAS but I'm now doing Psychology as I changed before results day. I got an E in AS chemistry due to my college hiring a teacher who had never done chemistry or taught A Levels so that was great haha. So yeah, if I can get offers from Exeter, Queen Mary's etc with those kinda grades for a relatively competitve course, you will be fine! If you have any questions about personal statements or whatever, feel free to inbox me :smile:

Thank you! Considering you did so well with your grades and offers, I hope that I'll be fine as well with some hard work :smile:

mm well I got A in maths, C in further maths and a C in economics, both close to B's, I wanna study economics so do you think I should still apply for A*AA/AAB unis?
Original post by Conservationofmass
mm well I got A in maths, C in further maths and a C in economics, both close to B's, I wanna study economics so do you think I should still apply for A*AA/AAB unis?

Id speak to your teachers as it depends on what they're going to put your predicted grades as. I think you'd be fine applying for one AAA, possibly A*AA but maybe no more than that as I know how bloody hard it is to bump grades, even by a couple of marks. I'd say apply for one AAA, a couple AAB and one BBB/ UCAS points course or below as an insurance. Definitely speak to your teachers & careers advisor though.

Quick Reply

Latest