The Student Room Group

Boyfriend moving to other side of the world

Hi all,
My boyfriend is going on a working holiday to NZ. He'll only be gone for a few months but I'll miss him like crazy, and so I wondered if any of you have any ideas as to how to make things easier? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Consider breaking it off before he goes. Not what you want to hear I'm sure, but it will likely save a lot of heartache in the long run.

When he gets back, if you both still have feelings for each other, you can pick it up where you left off.
Original post by georgiaswift
Hi all,
My boyfriend is going on a working holiday to NZ. He'll only be gone for a few months but I'll miss him like crazy, and so I wondered if any of you have any ideas as to how to make things easier? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Don't listen to that guy above, it is perfectly possible to keep the relationship going, I know a friend whose boyfriend is in Canada for a year but they still managed to stay together. In this day an age we have skype and other means of communications. Obviously don't put your life on hold, try hanging out with friends etc.
Reply 3
Make him some videos. For the bank.
Original post by Rock Fan
Don't listen to that guy above, it is perfectly possible to keep the relationship going, I know a friend whose boyfriend is in Canada for a year but they still managed to stay together. In this day an age we have skype and other means of communications. Obviously don't put your life on hold, try hanging out with friends etc.

Don't listen? I said she could consider it as an option, and I'm speaking from experience. Nowhere did I say that long distance relationships are not possible to maintain.

The OP was asking for suggestions, just because you don't agree with mine, don't tell people to simply dismiss other people's views.
Make him open when envelopes. I made it for my ex because we were in an LDR too and it went down pretty well with him. Your bf will appreciate the effort :smile:

Original post by AaronImpresswell
Don't listen? I said she could consider it as an option, and I'm speaking from experience. Nowhere did I say that long distance relationships are not possible to maintain.

The OP was asking for suggestions, just because you don't agree with mine, don't tell people to simply dismiss other people's views.

You were just very quick to say dump him that's all.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Make him open when envelopes. I made it for my ex because we were in an LDR too and it went down pretty well with him. Your bf will appreciate the effort :smile:

oh my, this is SO cute. :cry2:
Did you make those?
@Rock Fan

Yes you're right I was, and I recognised that it's easy for me to sit here and type that because it's not my emotional state and relationship that are on the line.

But the advice was given with the feelings of OP in mind.

OP

I hope it works out well in the end and you both feel comfortable in your decision.
Original post by Anonymous
oh my, this is SO cute. :cry2:
Did you make those?

Hahaha no its just a pic I got off the internet. But I did something exactly like that. So I remember I did an "Open when you're stressed" envelope and I put bubble wrap in it so he could pop the bubble wrap and feel less stressed :redface:
Hahaha no its just a pic I got off the internet. But I did something exactly like that. So I remember I did an "Open when you're stressed" envelope and I put bubble wrap in it so he could pop the bubble wrap and feel less stressed :redface:

Awh :cry2: Too adorable. I really want someone in my life now. Getting the feels :cry2:
Awh :cry2: Too adorable. I really want someone in my life now. Getting the feels :cry2:

Sameee tbh
Sameee tbh

I'm sorry you're still not together but why did you guys end it? :redface: If i had someone in my life i would hold on to them no matter what. :love:
plenty of eligible bachelors on TSR to keep you company
I'm sorry you're still not together but why did you guys end it? :redface: If i had someone in my life i would hold on to them no matter what. :love:

Don't really want to talk about it. But yeah me too I would hold onto them too
Original post by ldsbabe
plenty of eligible bachelors on TSR to keep you company

Who? Show me the path so i can be with them :cry2:
Original post by AaronImpresswell
Consider breaking it off before he goes. Not what you want to hear I'm sure, but it will likely save a lot of heartache in the long run.

When he gets back, if you both still have feelings for each other, you can pick it up where you left off.

Hi, I appreciate the advice but definitely don't want to break up with him. I was thinking more along the lines of cute ideas to make us feel happier when we miss each other
Original post by Rock Fan

Skype, Facebook etc are all definitely things we'll have to do. Couldn't bear to not talk to him for that long. Thank you :smile:

This is an amazing idea! Thank you so much!! I will definitely have to make some of these for him to take with him!
Original post by georgiaswift
This is an amazing idea! Thank you so much!! I will definitely have to make some of these for him to take with him!

Defo do! If you do an "Open when you miss me" envelope make like a mini collage of you and your bf together or something :smile:

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending