The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I hate working with food. But then thats upto opinion!
Reply 2
Generally hard work, on your feet constantly, tiring, having to put up with unhappy customers, hot, repetitive, rushed....

...all for just over minimum wage.
Reply 3
Congrats on the job. :smile:

I worked as a waitress once but only for a day and I really hated it. The customers were rude and kept clicking their fingers at me grrr :mad:. I was rushed of my feet and i'm a bit of a clutz so i smashed a few plates.

However this was a long time ago and as it was work experience I wasn't getting paid so I really didn't try very hard.

It would probabaly be a lot better for you high society sounds quite classy. Will you be the kind of waiter who mingles at dinner parties handing out glasses of champagne and hor doerves?
Reply 4
Oh and all chefs will hate you, unless you sweet talk them and make them lots of tea. Generally working in hot kitchens and having to deal with temporary staff pisses them off.
Reply 5
I worked for three years as a waiter. It is all the things Blackhawk says, but it can also be rewarding. Some chains offer potential for development (I was just short of being a manager when I left), and if you work in a good pub the compliments and tips off the customers should suffice.

However, a catering company? Sounds like it'll be running around black tie dos licked the arses of the customers. Not my cup of tea.

I loved my waiting on job, but I have a much better job now, and probably wouldn't go back.
Reply 6
BlackHawk
Oh and all chefs will hate you, unless you sweet talk them and make them lots of tea. Generally working in hot kitchens and having to deal with temporary staff pisses them off.

That's unfair. I've worked in several restaurants where the chefs are really nice people.
Reply 7
It was a bit of a joke. :wink:
Reply 8
It's not very encouraging for someone going into their first job.
Reply 9
I did for 2 years, it wasn't bad, I preferred it when it was busy because at least then there was constantly something to do and time would go quicker.

Generally you get more tips than wages:p:
BlackHawk
It was a bit of a joke. :wink:

and it was a REALLY funny joke.

Latest

Trending

Trending