The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

HannahJasmine<3
I originally applied to St.Chad's but have ended up with an offer from Cuth's. What's it like? What are the students like? How come the application ratio is so low? xxxxx

Cuth's is great. I don't actually go there, but most of my best friends are from Cuth's. It's a lot bigger than Chad's but people all seem really friendly.

Er, I'll maybe let someone actually from there answer now.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I always thought of Cuth's as a popular college, so I was surprised to hear you've been pooled to it. Everyone I know from Cuth's really loves it and it nice and friendly. Um. The bar opens earlier than any other colleges' ...

That's all I know. Of places to be pooled to, I'd personally be happy in your position.
Reply 3
Cuth's Boat Club is funded by their bar profits, hence it is AMAZING.

Not like little Trevs Boat Club which have to struggle through with barely any finances :frown:
dobbs
Cuth's Boat Club is funded by their bar profits, hence it is AMAZING.

Not like little Trevs Boat Club which have to struggle through with barely any finances :frown:

Er, no it's not. They're pretty good but they don't get the bar money and they're fairly poor...
Reply 5
durhamdosser
Er, no it's not. They're pretty good but they don't get the bar money and they're fairly poor...

OK the bar money thing may not be true (I heard it from someone who rows for Cuths!)

BUT they really aren't "poor" at all!!! Especially relative to the other boat clubs! They have the ability to rent out space in their (relatively) massive boathouse which brings in a lot of money for them and I *am sure* that they get quite a bit of money from their college.

I never said they were "good" rowers - because money doesn't equal a good sports club! But they are very well off, I am sure that you can't dispute that!
durhamdosser

:confused: A hell of a lot of the money that Cuth's Bar/Cuth's Cafe makes goes into all of the sports and societies in Cuth's. Judging by the first JCR meeting of the year (when the budgets are ratified) the sums of money given to SCSBC by the JCR are astonishing.

Oh, and Cuth's is amazing :biggrin: Theres more info for prospective students at www.cuths.com

Alex
Reply 7
Cuths > Chads ;yes;
Reply 8
I just got into St Cuths,to study english lit, OVER THE MOON!!!! is anyone else going to be a fellow cuths member 07, and anyone whos there already, tell me all about it ! xxxxxx
Reply 9
Where's the dinning hall?

I'm having dinner there the night before my interview, but they didn't exactly give me any hint to where to go.
Reply 10
i have an interview on 14th march for comp sci, followed by a compsci open day and a tour? of cuths (anyone know more about this?) :smile:

ill be travelling at 7am, would be good to know where the dinning hall is (im going for lunch there)
Reply 11
eggman
i have an interview on 14th march for comp sci, followed by a compsci open day and a tour? of cuths (anyone know more about this?) :smile:

ill be travelling at 7am, would be good to know where the dinning hall is (im going for lunch there)

Hey eggman, are you just like copying me: CompSci interview & St Cuths.
Was your letter confusing? I have 9:30am-1:30pm at the computer science dept, then 2:30pm at St Cuths but says Tour. Using powers of elimination, that would make my interview 4 hours long?!

Anyway, I now feel I should discretly wear/hold something saying 'TSR' so we(or other forum members) can say hi.
Reply 12
the interview is not 4 hours long, it is followed by a mini openday :biggrin:

well, there's a picture of me on my profile so you should be able to recognise me (although i have shorter hair now, and will probably also be wearing a t-shirt :smile: )
Reply 13
I got an offer for Economics L100 at St. Cuth's Society. What is your opinion about the environment of Durham + Society compared with that of St. Andrews which is my alternative choice??
i love cuths, just came back from the open days and thinking of turning down a place to do English at Oxford to go there - that's how amazing i thought it was anyway :biggrin: x
LastGrape
Hey eggman, are you just like copying me: CompSci interview & St Cuths.

How'd the CompSci interview go? I was demoing some of my 2nd year CompSci work today during the open day and I'm demoing again tomorrow.

Alex
roseannafrascona
i love cuths, just came back from the open days and thinking of turning down a place to do English at Oxford to go there - that's how amazing i thought it was anyway :biggrin: x

I'd have a little rethink about that
Agbonlaheto
I'd have a little rethink about that

I said i was thinking.... psssh, try reading the message before quoting me!
roseannafrascona
I said i was thinking.... psssh, try reading the message before quoting me!

I'd have little rethink about even thinking that Durham would be a better option than Oxford in the first place.

And what does 'psssh' mean?
it's a bit late to rethink that now, seeing as I have already thought it...

and surely, seeing as you a) weren't there and b) don't know me it's not really your place to tell me off for thinking something, although of course, I do appreciate your concern.

Psssh isn't a word, it's a sound!

Latest