The Student Room Group

Are these random A level choices? Please be honest, even if is brutal :)

Hey everyone.
So I have chosen to become a private candidate but I am stuck on some options. It is between these set/ group of courses: 1) Maths, Economics and Religious Studies.
2) Maths. Physics and Religious Studies.
I wanted to pick the second option because it seemed to have more 'traditional', well respected A levels for university. However, with physics, paying for practicals as a private candidate is not cheap. Overall I would be spending thousands. Moreover the centre seems to only provide a place to do the practicals, not helping with the actual preparation for the practicals and its exams.

The first option not only is it cheaper but there's no coursework what so ever. My only worry is that universities may see this as a random set of A levels. So far, I have been interested in studying Law/Business/Engineering but for now Engineering is on hold as I am not sure to how I feel about studying it at university.
I know Physics and Maths go well together and you actually use some maths in A level Physics. Not sure about Economics.
It depends what you want to do at uni/for a career. Maths+physics and maths+economics are decent combinations. Personally I would question the RS - it doesn't fit neatly with the other two subjects. Most people (though not all) will tend to combine essay or science-based subjects. Why not maths+physics+economics if you're looking at a numerate degree? Or maths+economics+history/law if you think you might choose law later.

I would suggest you don't consider the costs of studying the subjects - you're investing in your future and you need the best possible outcome at each stage to end up doing what you want later. Good luck whatever you end up doing!
Reply 2
Physics would give you more options later, but as a private candidate, I can see why Economics would be cheaper and easier.

Worth noting though that with the new A-Levels (exams in 2017), there will be no practical exam for Physics. You will need to complete 12 practicals or so during the course, but you just need to pass them; they won't influence the final grade. (As far as I know; please read up on the syllabus, for example here (go to section 8).)
No mine are a little more random, which is worrying me now- Biology, Sociology and History.
I took, Biology, Chemistry, Politics, Geography and Critical Thinking, not similar, took Biology, Politics and Geography into A2, thoroughly enjoyed the difference in them, now at Uni. Take the subjects you enjoy, you'll get better grades that way.
Reply 5
Yea I totally agree. It's just because I would be doing relatively three A levels in one year...already that alone is difficult lol. So studying hard-core for physics while paying for practicals mean a lot to me, I would like to get at least an A in the subject. I know it sounds too ambitious but I am being completely honest :tongue: I'd love to get A grades next year and if I am lucky, maybe one A*. However, I want to maximise my chances of doing well. I was told it would be virtually impossible to do three subjects, where Physics is included, in one year and do well. But I'd have all the time in the world to study and prepare for the exams. Not being in school or having a job, no responsibilities- I'd like to take the advantage of that now that I have it.

I thought maybe Economics instead as after looking at the specification, it seems quite interesting. I chose Religious Studies because I have always been interested in areas concerning morality, ethical issues and religion in general. Being a Christian, I know this will sound cowardly but I saw an opportunity to take modules on a religion I have known about and debated in for years. So because I already kind of know the content, especially on the new testament- I'd only really have to work on exam technique and essay writing skills for Religious Studies. But thanks for your reply, it was really helpful.
Reply 6
Original post by Cherry82
Hey everyone.
So I have chosen to become a private candidate but I am stuck on some options. It is between these set/ group of courses: 1) Maths, Economics and Religious Studies.
I wanted to pick the second option because it seemed to have more 'traditional', well respected A levels for university. However, with physics, paying for practicals as a private candidate is not cheap. Overall I would be spending thousands. Moreover the centre seems to only provide a place to do the practicals, not helping with the actual preparation for the practicals and its exams.

The first option not only is it cheaper but there's no coursework what so ever. My only worry is that universities may see this as a random set of A levels. So far, I have been interested in studying Law/Business/Engineering but for now Engineering is on hold as I am not sure to how I feel about studying it at university.
I know Physics and Maths go well together and you actually use some maths in A level Physics. Not sure about Economics.

Have you thought about changing RS to Philosophy? This would be seen as less random, as PPE (politics, philosophy, economics) is seen as a classic combination. Obviously you don't have the politics, but maths ties in with economics. Just an idea. Anyway it's ok to have a mix of science and arts. I did Spanish, English, Biology and Psychology at A-level.
Reply 7
Original post by Duncan2012
It depends what you want to do at uni/for a career. Maths+physics and maths+economics are decent combinations. Personally I would question the RS - it doesn't fit neatly with the other two subjects. Most people (though not all) will tend to combine essay or science-based subjects. Why not maths+physics+economics if you're looking at a numerate degree? Or maths+economics+history/law if you think you might choose law later.

I would suggest you don't consider the costs of studying the subjects - you're investing in your future and you need the best possible outcome at each stage to end up doing what you want later. Good luck whatever you end up doing!

I know this is going to sound terrible but I am just going to university to get a degree that I could use. What I actually want to do as a career does not require any degree. I'm only going to university to get a degree because my parents advised me to do so as they explained it's higher pay in terms of jobs and that I could always use the degree in the future, entering man fields in the working industry.

My real interests are in performance: singing, acting and dancing. I know this is a fantasy and that is it not easy to enter these areas in terms of careers but I have always wanted to at least try. My father said I should choose a degree that could compliment my career in the music business. So I though, music business...why not study business. I saw how in business, people were also innovative and it's why I actually did at one point have an interest in Engineering. I have always been passionate about human's rights, serving justice and debating so I was advice by a careers advisor to look into law. I have thought of taking engineering or law in many occasions but the reality is that these courses will be very time consuming. I want time to focus on performing, touring, practicing for auditions so if I took such intensive courses, things would interfere and I may even drop out. If I decided to purely focus on become an engineer or barrister/solicitor, I would probably give up on my dream. (Due to many circumstances)
At the beginning of the year, I thought I had found something else that I was maybe passionate about (i.e engineering) but realised engineering was not as I had thought also. I thought engineering was about inventory, inventing new ideas, creating new technology etc each day in the office or work space but was told this was not true. That as a team, you use ideas and laws that are known to definitely work and that there is no room for testing ideas and being fully creative. That customers have demands to be met, it's stressful. An engineering graduate from havard posted an article on this and I had read the comments after below the page and many seemed to agree. This made me so sad. It seems like my number one passion hasn't changed though and that is to be in the music business, in performance, making music but also having a brand. It's just with this, it's not as straight forward. Nothing could guarantee me success in that field and jobs are sometimes unstable.
Reply 8
Original post by abc:)
Have you thought about changing RS to Philosophy? This would be seen as less random, as PPE (politics, philosophy, economics) is seen as a classic combination. Obviously you don't have the politics, but maths ties in with economics. Just an idea. Anyway it's ok to have a mix of science and arts. I did Spanish, English, Biology and Psychology at A-level.

Thanks for replying :smile: I was looking at Edexcel's specification and I saw their modules for Philosophy and ethics. It seemed pretty interesting. The only thing is, because I already know the content for the New testament modules- I thought it would be less stressful to take these modules since I am doing all of these exams in one year. I was told too that universities do not know what modules students take and their modules grades, instead the overall grades within subjects are shown. So someone could study Philosophy under religious studies course but it would not be shown on UCAS as Philosophy but religious studies. Unless universities ask personally for the units. I don't know, is there an exam board that offers Philosophy without being categorised under religious studies?
Reply 9
Thanks everyone for your replies, it's been extremely helpful. Please know it's much appreciated x
It's good to hear from someone who is switched on and has obviously given serious consideration to their future. Good luck with whatever you end up doing OP :smile:
Hey everyone.

Why don't you go to your local college?
Reply 12
Economics is always a great subject! Especially, it expands your knowledge and definitely improves your essay writing. Don't worry, go for it! Maths w/ econ or maths w/ physics are really good combination. Maybe for engineering physics is more adequate while for law econ would be much more appropriate :smile: (Personally I wouldnt be sure about Religious studies but I dont do the subject so I cant really tell)
Reply 13
Original post by TheHopefulMedic
Why don't you go to your local college?

Due to the timing, it's late for me to join a college. I was even lucky getting into the current school I am in at the moment. For my first year, I went to a sixth college in Hackney and it was a terrible decision. Currently I'm at a sixth form repeating year 12. They didn't allow me repeat with the science subjects because I had done them already in the summer and didn't do too well. I agreed and chose humanity based courses. Frustratingly, due to their schooling system- they have the block choices thing so I can't do certain A levels as it wouldn't fit into my timetable. I ended up studying English Literature, Law and Business Studies. So far, I am actually enjoying everything but my school explained that we are not taking exams next year for the new A levels. This got me worried as I am already a repeat student, I'd like to do those new exams, get a feel of the new specification and show universities the change in me as a student. They decided to give us their own assessments and exams which has no past papers etc to practice on. To be frank, I just want to finish my A levels next year and then take a gap year to do the things I have always wanted to do,.
Hey everyone.

Engineering would need maths and physics.
For law and business, go for the economics and philosophy and ethics, they're easier and maths is hard, believe me!

Please don't do maths or physics unless your brilliant at them, or willing to work HARD, they're a lot of work..:

Quick Reply

Latest