The Student Room Group

I'm scared of failing my GCSEs!!

I know this sounds completely bonkers but I'm so scared I'll do badly in my GCSEs. I mainly get A/A*s in school and I'm aiming for them grades in my GCSEs. I know I can achieve them grades if I work hard but I'm just so scared that on the day I will have revised all the wrong stuff or in English I won't understand the poem or be able to analyse it or that I won't understand the Spanish!!!

I'm especially nervous after my best friend took edexcel maths last yr and I think we all know what happened there :wink:

It also doesn't help that our school keeps saying oh you only have only about 100 ish school days left until we go on study leave and only 3 months until mocks :afraid:

Am I just being silly? Like I know I can do it its just what ifs
I'm exactly the same pm me if you want
Wouldn't worry too much, Just try your best, you can't do anymore than that...

Besides, the only things I've found GCSE's useful for was getting into sixth form, after that they've never mattered, even when I applied to my "Top 5" Uni they didn't seem to care.
Just do your best. You'll need to learn to relax during exams in your GCSE years or you won't survive A Levels.
Original post by Roisinnm
I know this sounds completely bonkers but I'm so scared I'll do badly in my GCSEs. I mainly get A/A*s in school and I'm aiming for them grades in my GCSEs. I know I can achieve them grades if I work hard but I'm just so scared that on the day I will have revised all the wrong stuff or in English I won't understand the poem or be able to analyse it or that I won't understand the Spanish!!!

I'm especially nervous after my best friend took edexcel maths last yr and I think we all know what happened there :wink:

It also doesn't help that our school keeps saying oh you only have only about 100 ish school days left until we go on study leave and only 3 months until mocks :afraid:

Am I just being silly? Like I know I can do it its just what ifs

I just did my gcse's this summer and the maths test was harder than usual but for you guys it should be a bit easier due to the ofqual recommendations. I was in the same position as you last year, trust me if u prepare properly for all the tests and know everything you need to know on the specification you will be fine, For now just focus on making notes and working in school and dont focus too much on you summer exams, this will help reduce you anxiety. However if there is one tip i can give you that i wished someone told me is start your revision early, by that i mean start around Feb, dont follow the crowd and start the revision in easter holidays or a few weeks before that.
Hope this helps:smile:
DW mate.

Did your Spanish teacher correct your writing/speaking piece? Like a first draft of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you're an A/A* student you will do fine. Listen to your teachers, revise, do the homework/coursework and all will be well. I understand what you're feeling, as I started year 11 last year. Yes, everything seems pretty scary, but just keep calm, keep on top of things and you will get the grades you deserve!
Reply 7
I'm now in Year 12 doing the IB at a top 100 sixth form

Mocks: 1A 3B 2C 4D
GCSEs: 3A 4B 3C

Trust me, I didn't even try as much as I could've for the real things but still came out with an A in English Language and B in maths (NOTHING ELSE MATTERS ONCE YOU START SIXTH FORM)

you'll be fine :smile:
Don't worry about them too much, as scary as it seems - if you are well prepared for the exams then you will do fine.

Do lots of exam papers, 7 or 8 lots of past exam papers will really boost your confidence and help you in preparation. Don't leave anything till the last minute.

Best of luck! :smile:
You're pretty much over thinking it. Provided you can use PEE well enough then English is a cake walk. As for Maths they have been a little bit more brutal than usual with that than before.
I did my GCSEs last year, and I always wondered before the exams how I would cope with the nerves during the exam, however, I wasn't that nervous at all. It was weird because I felt nervous for the mock exams, but not for the GCSEs :P
I've only taken History so far, but what I can tell you from that, is that I was also terrified that I would do terribly, and got really nervous before the exams, but when I went in, both times I finished 15 to 20 mins early(probably due to a rush of adrenaline:tongue:), and got an A, which was my predicted grade. My point is, even if you're afraid that you're going to get a D in an A* subject, or something along those lines, the reality is that such freak cases are rather rare, and if that does happen, it usually gets fixed up after a remark.

Quick Reply

Latest