The Student Room Group

Why do many weightlifters wear heavy clothes?

Like entire hoodies and pullovers. Surely the humidity is energy sapping enough just in a shirt?

Scroll to see replies

extra weight = extra gains
Reply 2
Hoodies help with squats
I don't
I'm a girl and I tend to wear light clothes in gym, heavy if going for a run or a cycle...
I don't, I hate feeling too hot while I'm lifting. Would happily go to the gym in my boxers if it was allowed (no homo). A vest and shorts (or trackies if I'm doing legs to protect my shins on the leg extension) is my standard attire.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by saule1116
I'm a girl and I tend to wear light clothes in gym, heavy if going for a run or a cycle...

Why do you wear heavier clothes when doing cardio, surely you'd just end up feeling like uncle Ben rice
Original post by Prince_fancybum
Why do you wear heavier clothes when doing cardio, surely you'd just end up feeling like uncle Ben rice

Would love to feel like Ben Rice.
Original post by Prince_fancybum

Hahaha. I tend to be really cold when I start out with my cardio, hence the heavy clothes. :biggrin: Once I warm up I feel like taking them off, but that doesn't seem to be allowed when you're running/cycling on the road.. So yes - not convenient, but helps me lose wight and I can make it through. :biggrin: Besides - I have to carry a really heavy backpack on daily basis, so running with heavy clothes helps me to cope with the weight a bit better... :tongue:
I hate being too hot but I do wear joggers to stop the skin being shredded off my shins when I deadlift.
Original post by Squats and milk
I hate being too hot but I do wear joggers to stop the skin being shredded off my shins when I deadlift.

Unless you pull sumo or are huge (ie gut gets in the way with narrow stance) you should have your legs next to the smooth bit of the bar (assuming the bar isn't terrible)
Original post by illusionz
Unless you pull sumo or are huge (ie gut gets in the way with narrow stance) you should have your legs next to the smooth bit of the bar (assuming the bar isn't terrible)

I still shred my shins on the smooth bit. Friction burns of peace

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
I have sometimes had a gym jumper/hat. You need to be able to stay warm, some gyms over do air con in summer and/or don't have heating in winter so you need to wear something.

Original post by Squats and milk

try running tights
A lot of guys genuinely think that sweating more means the workout was better which is BS. This said, it is the case that if your muscles are too cold it does increase the risk of injury and as such going to the gym dressed in a way which minimises this risk is clearly prudent.

Lastly, there is something poetic about being the guy who rolls in, hoody up, ears plugged into music, doing everything with perfect form, talking to no one and covering his perfect body because you don't even care about props from strangers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BestBehaviour

Lastly, there is something poetic about being the guy who rolls in, hoody up, ears plugged into music, doing everything with perfect form, talking to no one and covering his perfect body because you don't even care about props from strangers.

That's a bit homo...
Original post by zyzzyspirit
That's a bit homo...

It's not homo if you are that guy.
Original post by BestBehaviour
It's not homo if you are that guy.

I wasn't talking about him, I was talking about you lol.
Original post by zyzzyspirit
I wasn't talking about him, I was talking about you lol.

Yet I'm not the one whose username is a dead miscer...
Personal preference and comfort whilst sweating for the most part

I know a lot of bbers who do their cardio in big hoodies and heavy trackies as well
Original post by illusionz

I pull conventional with a Rogue Ohio Power Bar. Still get bloody shins from the smooth part of the bar.

Quick Reply

Latest