The Student Room Group

I got a "high" 2.1. Am i capable of a Distinction at MA level?

Hi everyone,

I was very happy when i achieved a 2.1 in English Literature.

I'm attending Cardiff University to begin my MA next year (part time, so 2016 - 2018). I really want a Distinction, i wouldn't be heartbroken with a Merit but I really want to get that Distinction

Am I likely to be of the ability to get a Distinction? My strength was my dissertation, which by itself was given a First, but I feel everyone on the course will have a First and it worries me a bit.

any resources or guides to help with post graduate essay writing would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by NoHeroes94
Hi everyone,

I was very happy when i achieved a 2.1 in English Literature.

I'm attending Cardiff University to begin my MA next year (part time, so 2016 - 2018). I really want a Distinction, i wouldn't be heartbroken with a Merit but I really want to get that Distinction

Am I likely to be of the ability to get a Distinction? My strength was my dissertation, which by itself was given a First, but I feel everyone on the course will have a First and it worries me a bit.

any resources or guides to help with post graduate essay writing would be greatly appreciated :smile:

There's no reason as to why you can't get a Distinction. Your dissertation clearly shows you're capable. Work hard and Good luck!
You never know.
Reply 3

There are a lot of unpredictable things which we can't account for -- who you'll be working with, what you'll choose to work on, what else will be going on in your life -- but on the face of it and all else being equal I think if you were capable of getting a first on your undergraduate dissertation then you're probably capable of doing well at the kind of medium-term, medium-length research that the kind of essays found on most English MA courses require. I'd say you should try as best you can not to second-guess yourself.
Why would you want a master's degree in English literature?
Reply 5
Original post by callum_law
Why would you want a master's degree in English literature?

Because i love the subject and I have the money. I'm also strongly considering going into academia, hence the desire to do as well as I can in the Masters.

Here is hoping I'm smart enough!
Because i love the subject and I have the money. I'm also strongly considering going into academia, hence the desire to do as well as I can in the Masters.

Here is hoping I'm smart enough!

Best of luck, then. I was just asking to see if you had a clear idea of what you wanted to do with the degree. It'd be an awful waste if someone did an MA just for the sake of it, without passion for the course and without a clear view of where an MA would leave them employment wise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending