The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Law 2016 - not giving conditionals at all ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MsTabitha
Actually, are any of your three subjects this year Advanced?

All three of my subjects are advanced higher

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 41
3 Advance Highers and a Higher must be a killer. Adv English is already giving me enough stress as it is with the dissertation! I crashed Modern Studies, Psychology and RMPS also this year, which it clearly doesn't sound as nearly as challenging as your subjects!
Congratulations on the offers so far! I think reading your response has made me see some similarities between us actually. I too wish to move abroad, but to the Middle East to work there in the future (this also has been my plan since a young age. British LLB holders there are open to great opportunities since American/British Law Schools are certainly deemed as "prestige" in comparison to the Law courses they have to offer.
But best of luck for the rest of your applications, and I do hope you find yourself a place at Aberdeen and do keep us updated!

Original post by DougallnDougall
Thank you but at my school they were decidedly non-brilliant! Subjects were English, French, German, Modern Studies and Biology. This year I'm doing higher business management and Advanced Higher in English, French and Modern Studies, which is politics with a bit of sociology in it (not every school offers this subject though it's a fairly standard one). I'm not a science/maths person and was just mega chuffed to do maths, chemistry and biology to Nat 5 level.
I have applied to Aberdeen, Dundee and RGU and have unconditionals for the last two mentioned for LLB with French. My app to Aberdeen is for Scots and French law. I want to work in an international setting so intend to do an LLM in International and European Law and an LLM in Polar law as well as the Scottish diploma to practice. I planned my future when I was ten and am really rather focused about where I want to be and do. Sorry if that sounds cocky, I'm really not like that at all, Im ambitious for my future that's all. But I'm still suffering anxiety/fear the same as everyone else in case the unis I want to go to turn me down. Aberdeen is my first choice.
William - given that you're doing 3 Advanced Highers year &, taking what Watchingyou said about your early Higher, you must surely be on for an unconditional from Edinburgh.

Dougall - you don't sound cocky at all, just determined & focused. And I agree with Maria; your work load this year sounds pretty brutal. I think you have a really, really good shot at your first choice of Aberdeen, especially with your strong PS.

This waiting part is so horrible. :s-smilie:
Original post by mariamxv
3 Advance Highers and a Higher must be a killer. Adv English is already giving me enough stress as it is with the dissertation! I crashed Modern Studies, Psychology and RMPS also this year, which it clearly doesn't sound as nearly as challenging as your subjects!
Congratulations on the offers so far! I think reading your response has made me see some similarities between us actually. I too wish to move abroad, but to the Middle East to work there in the future (this also has been my plan since a young age. British LLB holders there are open to great opportunities since American/British Law Schools are certainly deemed as "prestige" in comparison to the Law courses they have to offer.
But best of luck for the rest of your applications, and I do hope you find yourself a place at Aberdeen and do keep us updated!

Well I guess I also can join the club as well as I too wish to practice abroad and planned out my future early on hahah :biggrin:
I want to go into an international company dealing within the Mergers and Acquisitions- my favourite field (hopefully that wont change as we come to start the degree haha) preferably practicing in either NY/London or London/Dubai...
Adv English is an absolute killer cannot wait to be over and done with it now :colone:

Thank you. It is challenging but good practice for uni workload. Crashing highers is no mean feat, especially three of them. Impressive.

i love travelling and experiencing different cultures. I blame my older sister for this 😜 She was the one that took me off to Brazil for the summer when I was six. Then it was back and fore to the Middle East when she moved there. I loved Dubai and was kind of gutted when she moved to Oz though I enjoyed a summer there two years ago. The summer after that I went to Africa on an outdoor expedition trip building community school and doing all sorts of tough physical challenges. Besides that I've travelled quite extensively across Europe incl a German student exchange. I've a list running into three figures of all the places I want to travel to and It makes sense to me to live and work in Europe. I'm interested in environmental stuff so pretty keen on Polar Law. With the great carve up of the world's resources, polar law is relevant to all of us. Lol these are my hopes for my future. I guess it's up to me to make them happen!
Waiting does suck! I'm glad that we have this community of people with similar experiences to ask questions and figure out what others are experiencing.
Original post by guzz6
Well I guess I also can join the club as well as I too wish to practice abroad and planned out my future early on hahah :biggrin:
I want to go into an international company dealing within the Mergers and Acquisitions- my favourite field (hopefully that wont change as we come to start the degree haha) preferably practicing in either NY/London or London/Dubai...
Adv English is an absolute killer cannot wait to be over and done with it now :colone:

Fabulous! I was going to go to Groningen but when I asked advice from one of the Professors at Aberdeen he suggested I do Scots law first then international and polar if it was what I wanted. Despite wanting to work abroad I love my country and want to be able to work here too. Lol I don't want much do I 🙈😜😂

The dissertation is challenging for sure. I have one to do for Mods as well which doubles the pain but I'm happy enough about it in other ways because my best work is almost always out with the exam room.
William - given that you're doing 3 Advanced Highers year &, taking what Watchingyou said about your early Higher, you must surely be on for an unconditional from Edinburgh.

Dougall - you don't sound cocky at all, just determined & focused. And I agree with Maria; your work load this year sounds pretty brutal. I think you have a really, really good shot at your first choice of Aberdeen, especially with your strong PS.

This waiting part is so horrible. :s-smilie:

Thanks Miss Tabitha. I'm finding it excruciatingly painful. It's almost a test of endurance 😂😂😂

Thank you for your kind words and I truly hope so! I'm not feeling too confident at the moment because of the rejection from lse and Oxford. Though I've got an unconditional offer from Aberdeen for law and English law

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you hun! I applied back in early December and heard back for Law last night. I received an unconditional for my last resort (Law and Psychology at Strathclyde) a few weeks ago, so I think the humanities departments are just pretty slow this year so I wouldn't worry about it! Do you mind me asking what you got last year? Nonetheless I'm sure you'll hear back soon, so don't stress and best of luck!

I'm an international student so my grades are a bit different, and we take more subjects, but traslated it'd be pretty much this: 5A's (French, Dutch, Latin, Natural Sciences, English) - 5A*s (German, History, Religious & Cultural Studies, Earth Sciences, Maths). I also got an A* in Italian and Art History but we don't have exams for them so they're not that important.
I'm trying not to stress but I haven't heard from any of the universities I appplied to and it's been over two months :frown:
Thanks Miss Tabitha. I'm finding it excruciatingly painful. It's almost a test of endurance 😂😂😂

It is EXACTLY that! At least we should know within the next 7/8 weeks.

Original post by william0606
Thank you for your kind words and I truly hope so! I'm not feeling too confident at the moment because of the rejection from lse and Oxford. Though I've got an unconditional offer from Aberdeen for law and English lawPosted from TSR Mobile

With a solid PS & your grades, I'd wager that you will be one of the first of us Scottish applicants to hear from Edinburgh. What was your 5th choice - Glasgow?
Reply 51
Looks like you definitely have a clear-cut path in your mind of what you want to do which is excellent! NY would be far too intimidating for me personally, so Dubai is where I hope to be!
And definitely.. teachers have barely provided any guidance for the dissertation and all we do is read through the plays and barely discuss them, but it'll all be over soon enough.
Original post by guzz6
Reply 52
That's lovely to hear! Where abouts was it in the middle east you visited?
Dubai is a beautiful city. I visit a lot, especially to see my family and friends back there, and the emirates are full of such rich culture when you look past the malls, water parks and money😂 Exploring cultures is wonderful. Being multi-cultural myself has always been a struggle growing up in the UK, but now I seem to appreciate it a lot more now than I ever did.
Your Africa expedition sounds strenuous but certainly a significant experience! You definitely seem like a very all-rounded person, so many universities would be lucky to take you!

Thank you. It is challenging but good practice for uni workload. Crashing highers is no mean feat, especially three of them. Impressive.

i love travelling and experiencing different cultures. I blame my older sister for this 😜 She was the one that took me off to Brazil for the summer when I was six. Then it was back and fore to the Middle East when she moved there. I loved Dubai and was kind of gutted when she moved to Oz though I enjoyed a summer there two years ago. The summer after that I went to Africa on an outdoor expedition trip building community school and doing all sorts of tough physical challenges. Besides that I've travelled quite extensively across Europe incl a German student exchange. I've a list running into three figures of all the places I want to travel to and It makes sense to me to live and work in Europe. I'm interested in environmental stuff so pretty keen on Polar Law. With the great carve up of the world's resources, polar law is relevant to all of us. Lol these are my hopes for my future. I guess it's up to me to make them happen!
Reply 53
Your grades are amazing then, so congrats on those! I wouldn't stress right now, the wait can test your patience and create a lot of nerves but it does take a while for them to give conditionals out since they have a lot of analysts and maths involved to deduce how many people they can give offers to. And I seem to be one of the first batch to receive conditionals (I've deduced from twitter and forum stalking😂), so many more are likely to come soon!

Original post by larademets
I'm an international student so my grades are a bit different, and we take more subjects, but traslated it'd be pretty much this: 5A's (French, Dutch, Latin, Natural Sciences, English) - 5A*s (German, History, Religious & Cultural Studies, Earth Sciences, Maths). I also got an A* in Italian and Art History but we don't have exams for them so they're not that important.
I'm trying not to stress but I haven't heard from any of the universities I appplied to and it's been over two months :frown:
That's lovely to hear! Where abouts was it in the middle east you visited?
Dubai is a beautiful city. I visit a lot, especially to see my family and friends back there, and the emirates are full of such rich culture when you look past the malls, water parks and money😂 Exploring cultures is wonderful. Being multi-cultural myself has always been a struggle growing up in the UK, but now I seem to appreciate it a lot more now than I ever did.
Your Africa expedition sounds strenuous but certainly a significant experience! You definitely seem like a very all-rounded person, so many universities would be lucky to take you!

I've only visited Dubai and Oman, Musandam to be specific. Dubai is a fascinating city very multi-cultural. My older sister (she's 20 years my senior) lived there for seven years. As she became better acquainted with the whole Emirates thing exploring away from the city became normal. I loved going into the mountains to the Hatti Pools (prob wrong spelling) and into the desert. One of my best memories is of swimming amongst wild dolphins in Oman. Africa was an amazing experience. Bits of it was really tough and bits were really humbling esp when the children expressed so much happiness at receiving the kind of gifts we might have received in a party bag as if we'd given them the best thing ever.
Reply 55
I haven't visited Oman but it's always a place I've wanted to explore.
I hope she enjoyed living in the UAE then, most locals are very welcoming and friendly but there tends to be a divisive split between expats and locals which is recognised. But all the locals I'm friends with are amazing. And the desert is gorgeous, and sometimes you can even find the royal family there, just driving around alone and without any bodyguards or convoys.
It's lovely to read about all your experiences, I'm slightly envious of your experiences in Africa particularly since I've never had such a humbling opportunity since my school don't offer those types of things. Also looks like we went a bit off-track on this forum 😂but still very interesting to read, so thank you for sharing!

I've only visited Dubai and Oman, Musandam to be specific. Dubai is a fascinating city very multi-cultural. My older sister (she's 20 years my senior) lived there for seven years. As she became better acquainted with the whole Emirates thing exploring away from the city became normal. I loved going into the mountains to the Hatti Pools (prob wrong spelling) and into the desert. One of my best memories is of swimming amongst wild dolphins in Oman. Africa was an amazing experience. Bits of it was really tough and bits were really humbling esp when the children expressed so much happiness at receiving the kind of gifts we might have received in a party bag as if we'd given them the best thing ever.
Original post by larademets

What country are you from? What schools other than Edinburgh did you apply to?
I got an offer from Strathclyde 👍
I got an offer from Strathclyde 👍

Yay, congratulations, that is great news! :smile:
Yay, congratulations, that is great news! :smile:

Thank you. Three down and two to go. It eases a bit of the anxiety 😄

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending