The Student Room Group

would you get in a car with a 17 year old new driver

one of the lads on my footie team passed his test yesterday and gave me a lift home from training last night in his mum's car. I have honestly never been so scared, we must have stalled about 10 times and didn't go above 40mph on the busy dual carriageway. He then said he would give me a lift to all our away matches, but I'm afraid he'll kill us both!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tobie123
one of the lads on my footie team passed his test yesterday and gave me a lift home from training last night in his mum's car. I have honestly never been so scared, we must have stalled about 10 times and didn't go above 40mph on the busy dual carriageway. He then said he would give me a lift to all our away matches, but I'm afraid he'll kill us both!

You can't expect him to be a brilliant driver..

If you don't feel comfortable, don't get in the car.
I did many times. I was nearly killed a few times too but it's all banter
If it was a close friend who i trusted and was responsible , then prolly.
Original post by yasaminO_o

Just killed my friends whilst going 70 , just banter tho
Reply 5
Yeah, if I knew the guy well enough to trust him, otherwise nah..
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Just killed my friends whilst going 70 , just banter tho

ygm
Reply 7

i appreciate that response
ygm

Don't know what tht means ;l
Reply 9
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Don't know what tht means ;l

ygm = you get me
it is the case of getting used to driving. find someone who has been driving a couple of months to point out a few things and then let them swap seats and show them.

it's all about getting comfortable with the car.

you have to give it to him though it was his first day of driving!
Reply 11
Original post by Protagoras
it is the case of getting used to driving. find someone who has been driving a couple of months to point out a few things and then let them swap seats and show them.

it's all about getting comfortable with the car.

you have to give it to him though it was his first day of driving!

Hopefully he gets better with practice. I know his dad also so may mention to him that his son needs more practice beforw he is allowed out on his own
Original post by Jenx301
ygm = you get me

vaguely get that :P
I would. I trust my friends.

Depends who it is though, there's some people that I wouldn't get in a car with if they're still driving in 10 years' time...
I have with new 17 yr old drivers, i trusted that they passed for a reason lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Alexion
I would. I trust my friends.

Depends who it is though, there's some people that I wouldn't get in a car with if they're still driving in 10 years' time...

I don't think it is about trust. I just don't think 17 year olds, especially lads are mature enough for driving. We've all crashed soon after passing
Original post by tobie123
I don't think it is about trust. I just don't think 17 year olds, especially lads are mature enough for driving. We've all crashed soon after passing

8 months in and I'm still going intact... and I'm not planning on crashing any time soon :tongue:

Been giving my friends lifts to school every day of the week for the last 4 months as well. They're pretty happy with my driving.

*Logs into Facebook* ''What's on your mind?"."Lumbar spinal cord injury and blunt trauma to the head, BANTZ!"

No but seriously, I'd be nervous but so long as it was just a short local drive I'm sure it'd be okay. I wouldn't get in a car with a newly qualified 17 year old driver if they were going on a long distance trip, using a motorway for the first time or going on country lanes - especially national speed limit ones with bends i.e Snowdonia or the Lake District. I wouldn't get in with them if it was severe weather (high winds/ice) on any kind of road.

Everyone has to start somewhere though - but if they're going to do stuff for the first time (like we all do!) then it's probably wise to go solo. When I'd newly qualified I drove alone firstly to get my confidence up AND because if something happened there'd be less people that I was killing/maiming. Now I've driven in all conditions (heavy fog at night on country roads was one of the worst!) and on all kinds of roads (big cities and rural places) and I feel fine offering lifts to people because I'm a confident driver but I wouldn't have done it a few years back because it felt daunting and I just hadn't got enough experience.
Oh I have. And she took the longer road because she was too scared to turn left onto the street which was the shortcut.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending