The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Leekey
Browing the other forums I noticed that several of them have threads relating to the offers people have to meet and how scared we are of missing them. Am I the only one that is worried about not getting the grades for Edinburgh?!? :confused:

i thought comp sci and alot of other offers were reasonably low (as they're trying to attract lots of people due to it being a 4 yr course for a bachelors) in comparison to other unis of a similar calibre?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Well, I'm worried about getting my A in AS-level Maths, the rest of my subjects are sorted, but this Maths grade worries me, with me being unable to solve 1-2 questions, containing a lot of marks.... God help me, I'm between an A and a B. I hope they won't mind if I don't get that A by few marks. I want to study there more than anything in this world!
And I think this would be a good place and time to boast about already getting the marks and been accepted to the uni..

Which I'm not going to do, of course..

*runs away and hides*
Reply 4
BossLady
i thought comp sci and alot of other offers were reasonably low (as they're trying to attract lots of people due to it being a 4 yr course for a bachelors) in comparison to other unis of a similar calibre?

2nd year entry (i.e. normal degree time in English standards) = AAA (incl maths) :wink:
Reply 5
I actually didn't quite get the grades l needed for Edinburgh last year, but they still accepted me (I was literally less than one percent away.) I think that Edinburgh, more than most universities, will judge you on more than just grades. I'd applied for a deferred entry anyhow, and in my gap year I've done Further Maths and Economics, and redid the maths modules I crapped up so I've got an A in maths now. Both FMaths and Econ might be As, if not then safe Bs.

Anyone else doing Linguistics and Artificial Intelligence at Edinburgh?
Reply 6
Llamas
I actually didn't quite get the grades l needed for Edinburgh last year, but they still accepted me (I was literally less than one percent away.) I think that Edinburgh, more than most universities, will judge you on more than just grades. I'd applied for a deferred entry anyhow, and in my gap year I've done Further Maths and Economics, and redid the maths modules I crapped up so I've got an A in maths now. Both FMaths and Econ might be As, if not then safe Bs.

Anyone else doing Linguistics and Artificial Intelligence at Edinburgh?

I'm doing the Comp Sci and Electronics course and I think Kiril was still deliberating over doing the A.I. course!!! Are you looking for 1st or 2nd year entry?!? :confused:
Reply 7
Leekey
2nd year entry (i.e. normal degree time in English standards) = AAA (incl maths) :wink:

So do you have an AAA offer then Leekey?
Reply 8
Alexander
So do you have an AAA offer then Leekey?

I'v been told that AAB would be acceptable if maths was one of the A's but basiclly yeah. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Leekey
I'v been told that AAB would be acceptable if maths was one of the A's but basiclly yeah. :biggrin:

Well good luck then :smile:
Reply 10
Alexander
Well good luck then :smile:

Thank You!!! :smile:

I sure it'll all work out, (assuming I don't completely screw up maths) I could always take 1st year entry. May take 1st year even if I do get good grades....hate being indecisive. :rolleyes:
Ahhh...it's not an issue in my subject, as only first-year entry is available, and a nice BBB offer which I should make easily (sorry if I'm gloating!). What makes you think about going for first year entry? I suppose it'll be nice to have an extra year at uni before having to get a job :wink:
Reply 12
Alexander
I suppose it'll be nice to have an extra year at uni before having to get a job :wink:

That, plus I'm basically a year younger than everyone already so it would give me a chance to catch up. I also like the idea of having an extra easy year and not having to worry about 2nd year level work as well as the social crap at uni!!! :smile:
Reply 13
Leekey
I'm doing the Comp Sci and Electronics course and I think Kiril was still deliberating over doing the A.I. course!!! Are you looking for 1st or 2nd year entry?!? :confused:

I'm doing the full four years, no rush to finish university ASAP (hell, I can't think why anyone would turn down another year at uni!) I'm intending to stay on for postgrad after I finish my first degree though. A.I. is rad, especially at Edinburgh which has always been one of the best universities for A.I. Edinburgh used to have separate A.I. and Comp Sci departments before they merged into Informatics, or something like that.

Why're you a year younger than everyone else?
Reply 14
Llamas

Why're you a year younger than everyone else?

Technically I'm not a year younger (born within the correct time frame to be a current Y13) but I was born so close to the deadline for entry to this year, I mights aswell be a year younger than everyone. For instance I'm only 17 now at the moment. :rolleyes: :smile:
Reply 15
Leekey
Technically I'm not a year younger (born within the correct time frame to be a current Y13) but I was born so close to the deadline for entry to this year, I mights aswell be a year younger than everyone. For instance I'm only 17 now at the moment. :rolleyes: :smile:

Oh right. I can kind of empathise with you, my birthday is in July. I'm a year older than you then (just finishing my 'gap year'), but I'm not quite 19 yet!
Reply 16
Llamas
Oh right. I can kind of empathise with you, my birthday is in July. I'm a year older than you then (just finishing my 'gap year'), but I'm not quite 19 yet!

Did you do anything wonderful on your gap year?!? :confused: I thought about it but I really think I wouldn't have done anything but work and sleep so I figured I might as well jump straight in. :biggrin:
Reply 17
Leekey
Did you do anything wonderful on your gap year?!? :confused: I thought about it but I really think I wouldn't have done anything but work and sleep so I figured I might as well jump straight in. :biggrin:

I went to the Oktoberfest beer festival in Munich at the start, and I'm about to go to Estonia for another beer festival (over my birthday :smile:). I've been working a bit to save up some cash (I don't want to end up living off an overdraft like my brother did ^^). I didn't let my brain rot through the year though, I did Further Maths and Economics A-Levels too. For half the FMaths and all the Econ I taught myself, much better than going to school/college classes! I wasn't stupid enough to think I could teach myself P4-P6 properly so I actually went to classes for that. I've had a great year off full time education and now I'm really looking forward to starting uni :smile:

(Yeah, I like beer festivals!)
Reply 18
Llamas

(Yeah, I like beer festivals!)

As do we all!!! I'm sure we can invent one when / if we both get to Edinburgh. :wink:
Reply 19
There's a festival for nearly everything else in Edinburgh :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending